Who will Arya be sent to assasinate?

TheeMikeHoncho

I'm still in the boat of her leaving with Massey. That being said there are many options: Dany, Alayne, Aegon....

There are two though that I find interesting.

LF- I'm probably wrong but do we ever see her in a scene with him? He didn't go to Winterfell, and in KL I don't remember her ever running into him. Now as to who would want to kill him? The Iron Bank. He did all the negotiating for the Crown and they keep getting deeper in debt, and nobody seems to pay them back do they? Thin I know but hey maybe they hold a grudge for the man who did the negotiating, who also conveniently vanishes. Plus it would reunite her and Sansa.

Cersei- All the reasons are there.There's one nifty way she could do this. (Bugger your we don't kill people we know trash.) She disguises herself as Tyrion gets captured and knowing CunCersei she would want to see him personally maybe even alone. Arya then strangles Cersei and fulfills a certain prophecy.

If I am getting a wish list then I'm going Cersei all the way!

I'm a fan of Doran Martell as the mark. Not because I dislike him or anything, but of the people available as options his makes the most sense to me from a 'moving the plot along' standpoint because I feel his death is necessary in order to vault Arianne's story arc into any kind of relevance. There are plenty of people who are frustrated/weary of Dorne's lack of invovlement in events thus far so there's any number of people on either side who could see Doran's death as a catalyst to draw Dorne openly into the war in their favor. I don't think many (if anyone) see Doran surviving to the end, but given his nature I find it hard to see another way to actually kill him off short of having his affliction do it which seems kind of lame. Also assuming Arya can't "know" her target he fits that criteria. From a writing standpoint this just seems like the kind of curveball that would be right up Martin's alley. Plus, it's very clear that A LOT needs to happen plot-wise over the course of the final 2 books, what better way to speed up the plot than to kill off the most methodically minded character?

I don't by into it being Cersei, I feel like that's destined to be Tyrion or Jaime based on the whole 'valonqar prophecy' (personally I think it will be Jaime, Tyrion just seems too obvious at this point). Plus the whole idea about the Iron Bank being behind it doesn't fly for me. The consequences of her actions in regards to them already seems to have played out in a 'support for Stannis' angle.

I'm not a fan of the 'Jaqan mark theory' either. I can't really say why other than my gut just tells me 'no' on this one. It just doesn't add up for me.

My guess is Euron Greyjoy. He's an evil wizard pirate that wants dragons, the Braavosi won't stand for that. Who's to say that once he conquers Westeros he won't wage war on all of Essos, claiming cities by right of conquest through dragons? He might even be able to warg the great krakens of the deep for all we know.

Or Arya might be sent to assassinate the Great Other, as in the supreme leader of the Others...

I'm still in the boat of her leaving with Massey.

LF- I'm probably wrong but do we ever see her in a scene with him? He didn't go to Winterfell, and in KL I don't remember her ever running into him. Now as to who would want to kill him? The Iron Bank. He did all the negotiating for the Crown and they keep getting deeper in debt, and nobody seems to pay them back do they? Thin I know but hey maybe they hold a grudge for the man who did the negotiating, who also conveniently vanishes. Plus it would reunite her and Sansa.

I'm on board with both of these predictions. I know lots of people think all the water symbolism surrounding Arya just associates her with Bravos (water city) but I think it's to clue us in that the person she eventually takes out will be associated with Bravos. You just know it's not going to be a minor character. I'm shipping Littlefinger in a big way. His family is from there and his House's sigil used to be the Titan's head.

As to Cersei, she's already on a self destructive path. No need to bring in Arya just for her.

If think it would be very sweet if...let's say, Arya was sent to assasinate JON SNOW.

I know some of you believe/hope whatever that Jon is dead. Some others think he'll come back to life by some strange magical ritual, or that he'll warg into ghost or whatever...

I don't want to extrapolate on these theories. My own personal opinion is that he simply isn't quite dead, yet.

Now...this is just my wish. We get a happy ending of sorts, Jon becomes King. Not because of Robbs letter, not because he's the secret son of Rhaegar but...because he's got charisma and, might possibly rally widlings and Northmen behind his back.

Honestly, in times of war who cares about whose son you might or might not be? The lords follow the best candidate to defend their own interests, and the best candidate has an army at his back. Really. It shows in case of the lannisters: everyone knows Tommen is a bastard. Does it matter? not much as long as he's got an army to back his claim.

Now...let me explain why Jon could possibly become king: We already have some northmen at the wall. What on earth are they doing at a Karstark/Wildling marriage, if not, because they are trying to figure out what kind of leader Jon might or might not be? The northmen, I think, are playing carefully here. They aren't quite ready to throw their lot in with Stannis, so they wait and observe...

Explains a lot of things for me, actually. Like Lyanna's letter, Alysanne's allegiance to Stannis, the mountain clans showing up uninvited etc... they are preparing to double cross Stannis, but they don't want to burn the bridge with the southron king either, just in case Jon shows himself to be a bad choice.

Now...why would the northmen want anything to do with their sworn ennemies, the widlings? Well...They might be ennemies, true, but there have one thing that can bring them together. Religion. Religion is very important to the westerosis and can result in kinship feelings especially when it's being threatened. The Northmen (Jon Snow amongst them) and the wildlings all believe in the old Gods. Stannis doesn't.

Furthermore, I kind of like the idea that the Mormont women are half widlings themselves... Tormund Tall Talker did 'lay' with a bear, or didn't he? what if there's more than a little truth to that tale?

Back to Arya. Jon becomes King because he's got an army at his back. Whether it makes him a vow breaker, a coward, an ass... or whether he's still a bastard with a crown, doesn't matter. Though I like the sound of 'Jon Snow King of Bastards and Wildlings' ... fact is, he would have quite a few ennemies, right? One of them might be Aegon, or Faegon. One other might be Danny.... or lets suppose - he marries Danny (yes, that's almost too sweet, even for my liking, though it could possibly happen out of various reasons...) who would be his ONE BIG ENNEMY then? Jorah Mormont. Why? Not just because of Danny...no, but also, because Jorah's own daddy loved Jon Snow, and gave him the Mormont ancestral sword.

Extrapolating: the war is won, Jon sits peacefully on the iron throne... meanwhile Jorah travels back to braavos and prays at the house of black and white. Arya-No-Face returns to westeros to get rid of her once favourite brother. And she does... hehe.

I'm a fan of Doran Martell as the mark. Not because I dislike him or anything, but of the people available as options his makes the most sense to me from a 'moving the plot along' standpoint because I feel his death is necessary in order to vault Arianne's story arc into any kind of relevance. There are plenty of people who are frustrated/weary of Dorne's lack of invovlement in events thus far so there's any number of people on either side who could see Doran's death as a catalyst to draw Dorne openly into the war in their favor. I don't think many (if anyone) see Doran surviving to the end, but given his nature I find it hard to see another way to actually kill him off short of having his affliction do it which seems kind of lame. Also assuming Arya can't "know" her target he fits that criteria. From a writing standpoint this just seems like the kind of curveball that would be right up Martin's alley. Plus, it's very clear that A LOT needs to happen plot-wise over the course of the final 2 books, what better way to speed up the plot than to kill off the most methodically minded character?

I don't by into it being Cersei, I feel like that's destined to be Tyrion or Jaime based on the whole 'valonqar prophecy' (personally I think it will be Jaime, Tyrion just seems too obvious at this point). Plus the whole idea about the Iron Bank being behind it doesn't fly for me. The consequences of her actions in regards to them already seems to have played out in a 'support for Stannis' angle.

I'm not a fan of the 'Jaqan mark theory' either. I can't really say why other than my gut just tells me 'no' on this one. It just doesn't add up for me.

It's not a bad idea, the only problem though is who would be the one hiring the FM? They are very expensive, and you'd think it'd be easier just to poison him yourself or something.

If think it would be very sweet if...let's say, Arya was sent to assasinate JON SNOW.

I know some of you believe/hope whatever that Jon is dead. Some others think he'll come back to life by some strange magical ritual, or that he'll warg into ghost or whatever...

I don't want to extrapolate on these theories. My own personal opinion is that he simply isn't quite dead, yet.

Now...this is just my wish. We get a happy ending of sorts, Jon becomes King. Not because of Robbs letter, not because he's the secret son of Rhaegar but...because he's got charisma and, might possibly rally widlings and Northmen behind his back.

Honestly, in times of war who cares about whose son you might or might not be? The lords follow the best candidate to defend their own interests, and the best candidate has an army at his back. Really. It shows in case of the lannisters: everyone knows Tommen is a bastard. Does it matter? not much as long as he's got an army to back his claim.

Now...let me explain why Jon could possibly become king: We already have some northmen at the wall. What on earth are they doing at a Karstark/Wildling marriage, if not, because they are trying to figure out what kind of leader Jon might or might not be? The northmen, I think, are playing carefully here. They aren't quite ready to throw their lot in with Stannis, so they wait and observe...

Explains a lot of things for me, actually. Like Lyanna's letter, Alysanne's allegiance to Stannis, the mountain clans showing up uninvited etc... they are preparing to double cross Stannis, but they don't want to burn the bridge with the southron king either, just in case Jon shows himself to be a bad choice.

Now...why would the northmen want anything to do with their sworn ennemies, the widlings? Well...They might be ennemies, true, but there have one thing that can bring them together. Religion. Religion is very important to the westerosis and can result in kinship feelings especially when it's being threatened. The Northmen (Jon Snow amongst them) and the wildlings all believe in the old Gods. Stannis doesn't.

Furthermore, I kind of like the idea that the Mormont women are half widlings themselves... Tormund Tall Talker did 'lay' with a bear, or didn't he? what if there's more than a little truth to that tale?

Back to Arya. Jon becomes King because he's got an army at his back. Whether it makes him a vow breaker, a coward, an ass... or whether he's still a bastard with a crown, doesn't matter. Though I like the sound of 'Jon Snow King of Bastards and Wildlings' ... fact is, he would have quite a few ennemies, right? One of them might be Aegon, or Faegon. One other might be Danny.... or lets suppose - he marries Danny (yes, that's almost too sweet, even for my liking, though it could possibly happen out of various reasons...) who would be his ONE BIG ENNEMY then? Jorah Mormont. Why? Not just because of Danny...no, but also, because Jorah's own daddy loved Jon Snow, and gave him the Mormont ancestral sword.

Extrapolating: the war is won, Jon sits peacefully on the iron throne... meanwhile Jorah travels back to braavos and prays at the house of black and white. Arya-No-Face returns to westeros to get rid of her once favourite brother. And she does... hehe.

I don't think this could be right because everything you just said would have to happen over the course of the next book or so before Arya is even sent to assassinate Jon. As of right now Jon it at least seriously wounded. He would have to recover his strength, break his oath, rally all of the wildlings and northmen to his cause, and take the iron throne, no easy task, and a little out of character if you ask me. At the same time that would leave Arya just waiting in the wind for most of the next book training and maybe killing pointless targets. In other words, her story wouldn't really evolve from the point it is at already. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I like the theories for LF because it reunites her and Sansa and might be what it takes for Arya to break away from the FM. Euron is another good candidate. I just hope it's not Danny because then I'll be afraid that Arya will die in the attempt (unless she blows her cover on purpose and joins forces with her). But what will happen if Arya does decide to leave the FM? Will that automatically mean they will hunt her the rest of her life? Because if that's the case she's kinda screwed!

I don't think this could be right because everything you just said would have to happen over the course of the next book or so before Arya is even sent to assassinate Jon. As of right now Jon it at least seriously wounded. He would have to recover his strength, break his oath, rally all of the wildlings and northmen to his cause, and take the iron throne, no easy task, and a little out of character if you ask me. At the same time that would leave Arya just waiting in the wind for most of the next book training and maybe killing pointless targets. In other words, her story wouldn't really evolve from the point it is at already. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I like the theories for LF because it reunites her and Sansa and might be what it takes for Arya to break away from the FM. Euron is another good candidate. I just hope it's not Danny because then I'll be afraid that Arya will die in the attempt (unless she blows her cover on purpose and joins forces with her). But what will happen if Arya does decide to leave the FM? Will that automatically mean they will hunt her the rest of her life? Because if that's the case she's kinda screwed!

Yes, well...Jon, if he survives that is, would have a lot to do. But I don't think it's impossible. The Northmen are already there, at the wall. Did Alys Kartstark ever leave after her wedding?

Not to mention that Stannis is already kinda screwed, what with losing his men in the snow and being half mad from staring at the flames... he's lightning his own pyre, travelling the north with Northmen, burning their trees and burning men alive. I don't think it endears him very much to the Northmen. Even Stannis's own men seem to get a bit uneasy at seing their King deal out punishments...

If Jon leaves the wall, NOW would be the perfect time. He'd have a reason to do it, too. Either he'd be an oath breaker or he'd decide, the Nights Watch betrayed him and his command. Because, in my opinion, planning a trip to Winterfell to face off the Bolton Bastard, doesn't constitute a break of oath. If he'd actually gone to winterfell and taken sworn brothers with him, then yes, he'd have been an oath breaker. But going off on his own becuase Bolton insulted him personaly (and thus by extension his honor and the integrity of the Watch)? It's a matter of perspective, but I think, almost dying, or being assasinated or whatever, is ground enough to abandon your post. And...the wildlings themselves don't have much loyalty to the wall. They have loyalty to their belly. They want food and fire and shelter and its Jon who made that promise. I can see the wildlings leaving the wall if Jon is injured, and possibly storm Winterfell or any keep that's close by. Especially once they discover how low the food store is at the wall... So whose to say that by the time Jon recovers, Stannis isn't already dead? Winterfell surrounded or plundered, and the wildlings are occupying the north? Not to mention that whilst Tormunds lot is rather friendly, the Wall was...or was almost? under attack, too. The Reaper's waiting on the other side and with no able Lord Commander, men of doubtful loyalty and Stannis having moved his army south, the wall's probably already in the hands of the wildlings. If the Watch has fallen, there's no Lord Commander... So, I don't think it's entirely impossible for Jon to end up on the Iron throne. Not in the next book, mind, but right at the end of the story. But yes, what I wrote in the first post, about Arya killing him, does raise the problem of what Arya might possibly occupy her time with in Braavos.... chasing more cats?

I just don't see Arya returning to Westeros anytime soon, and I really don't like the idea of her being all friendly and reuniting with her lost relatives. To me, Arya Stark is well on her way of loosing herself completely. The sweet little girl will soon disappear and become a true faceless servant, so unless she gets a mission that brings her to westeros, there's absolutely no reason for her (in my opinion) to ever leave Braavos again.

It could be argued, however, that Arya receives a mission...from the Bank? to kill Tommen? or Stannis? the first has debts to repay and the second made promises he can't possibly keep... Note Jon's thoughts when he meets the banker - it goes something along the line - a King with debts does not remain King for long.

It could also be argued that Arya ends up with Samwell Tarly at the Citadel. There's already a FM there, and possibly the FM have some interests in the going ons there, unless the one we met is some kind of rogue.

I think, unless she gets a random assignment, one should pinpoint the interests the FM may or may not have in the conflict in westeros. What's their job? why do they exist? what do they do, besides answering prayers?

In that respect I think the FM couldn't care less about Little Finger. He's a small player in the big picture, really. Like the whole war of five Kings is just a joke compared to what's coming to Westeros.

However, the FM could possibly, like so many others, have an interest in the Dragons. Danny's dragons have caused a surge of magical energy of some sort apparently... or perhaps it's the opposite. In any case... the Citadel doesn't like Dragons or Targaryens, or so we are told by Maester Marwyn, was it? And the FM...could possibly want magic to continue to exist...because its an integral part of their disguise and job description?

And to answer your question... I do believe that...'once a FM always a FM'. If Arya leaves on her own, they'll kill her. The FM have too many secrets and can't possibly let her go off into the world with knowledge of their faceless magic.

Edric Storm, perhaps. The nobility know him as the last known of Robert's bastards. For some reason, I don't see Arya going after any of the huge characters in the series and I got the idea that most of those who really wanted to kill Dany in the east believed she was killed by Drogon.

It's not a bad idea, the only problem though is who would be the one hiring the FM? They are very expensive, and you'd think it'd be easier just to poison him yourself or something.

I think there's multiple people who could have both the motivation and means to do it. The Lannisters, The Tyrells, Littlefinger, Varys... All of them could see it as a potential gain to remove him and all would likely be able to produce the required 'cost' of doing so. As for simply doing it themselves, the problem is that Doran is a recluse due to his gout and accessibilty to him would be very difficult, hence the reason to use the FM. Plus the 'cost' of hiring the FM is always relative to the person hiring them. It's not a fixed "high cost" but a high cost relative to what the person hiring them has to offer.

It's probably a stupid question, but are we even sure she is going to be sent to assasinate anybody?

For how I see it, she is training because she has nothing else better to do, and she will one day have a reason of her own to go back to Westeros and her skills will therefore prove to be useful. I think that because of the time laps, it's impossible she can get a full training - hence, a foreign assignment - before the end. Unless GRRM goes with a 5 years gap, and I personally don't see that happening.

Edit : someone mentioned she could be sent to Westeros because she know the place, the language etc. good point, but it's still unlikely the FM will send a not fully trained killer.

It's probably a stupid question, but are we even sure she is going to be sent to assasinate anybody?

For how I see it, she is training because she has nothing else better to do, and she will one day have a reason of her own to go back to Westeros and her skills will therefore prove to be useful. I think that because of the time laps, it's impossible she can get a full training - hence, a foreign assignment - before the end. Unless GRRM goes with a 5 years gap, and I personally don't see that happening.

Edit : someone mentioned she could be sent to Westeros because she know the place, the language etc. good point, but it's still unlikely the FM will send a not fully trained killer.

You're right in a sense. I don't think we have any definitive proof that she will be sent on an assassination mission, I think it we (the readers) have inferred that based on certain dialogue in Arya's chapters about others "giving the gift" and therefore it makes logical sense that if Arya's being trained that it would be to give the gift (which she's already done once).

All that aside, if the mark/target is a well known person in Westeros (not to plug my own theory from a previous post, but Doran Martell as an example) and (assuming) the FM order can't have someone give the gift to someone they know; it could be entirely possible that all the other eligible FM's know the well known target and therefore can't give the gift. That would leave Arya to do it by default as the only person who doesn't know the target, regardless of her inexperience.

That would leave Arya to do it by default as the only person who doesn't know the target, regardless of her inexperience.

Thank you for your answer, I thought I missed something.

About the quote, it still sounds a little off to me ^^'

I agree. Maybe she'll go as a guide/trainee for another FM, thus getting some 'on the job training', but that might be a risky move for assasins.

In any case, I think she'll turn rogue and abandon the FM to go Westeros. But, how knows...

Thank you for your answer, I thought I missed something.

About the quote, it still sounds a little off to me ^^'

All I was saying with that line is that there's a conceivable way to circumvent the logic that the FM would send someone more experienced. If we work under the premise that FM can't give the gift to anyone they know, then Arya could become the most experienced person that doesn't know the target (on account of the fact she'd be literally the only one who didn't know the target). So in spite of the fact she's overall inexperienced it could potentially come down to the FM using her or someone with even less experience.

I'm not saying this is how it will go down, I was just pointing out that depending on the target and the presumed parameters under which the FM operate that Arya could indeed be sent to give the gift without suspension of disbelief.

I think it will be Ramsay

The impetus for this being another prediction of mine, that Ramsay kills the Bravosi banker and incurs the wrath of the Bank. They contract the FM to kill Ramsay, and they in turn send Arya to do the deed

So Ramsay will ironically be killed by the REAL version of the person he was pretending to marry

The High Septon.

this would give me a boner, because she would be able to see what the plans/motives are at the Great Sept, which GRRM has been building up subtly for a while.

Also, I like the thought that she might be sent after Harys Swyft upon his arrival in Braavos, and then sail back to Westeros with Massey and abandon the FM.

Archived