US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

Do we just put our replies to the other thread in here? If not just delete this.

That's interesting. So you would vote for a candidate who is honest but has a detailed plan that is completely at odds with your ideological view on how to improve the US's situation?

I do believe that an honest politician is better than an ideologically alligned politician. Because an honest politician will recognise and acknowledge if/when their plan isn't working and they will then consider alternatives from all quarters and change their plans.

I would indeed be impressed if you voted for an honest left of centre candidate who puts forward a coherent plan with which you do not ideologically agree.

If people focus on the qualities of a candidate rather than their policies you might actually get a better class of politician, and thereby get better policies, decisions and action.

Yes I would. It's better to take a shot at improving rather than getting stuck with yet another politician who will line their own pockets at our detriment.

Ser Scot:

No, you cannot be Veep if you are Constitutionally unqualified to hold the office of President. US Const. amend. XII. The "elected" sqirm is weak at best.

A two-term President is not constitutionally unqualified to hold the Presidency (they'd be over 35, and a native-born US citizen who would have resided in the country long enough). They're merely unqualified from being elected to the Presidency. It therefore follows that you could have Clinton, Bush, or Obama as VP: they could be President, just not be elected to the office.

Yes I would. It's better to take a shot at improving rather than getting stuck with yet another politician who will line their own pockets at our detriment.

So you don't support Gary Johnson, then?

And are you implying that Obama is lining his own pockets at our detriment now or in the past 4 years?

Ser Scot:

A two-term President is not constitutionally unqualified to hold the Presidency (they'd be over 35, and a native-born US citizen who would have resided in the country long enough). They're merely unqualified from being elected to the Presidency. It therefore follows that you could have Clinton, Bush, or Obama as VP: they could be President, just not be elected to the office.

Is that even possible? And if so, why would they do this? That would mean, should the next president die, that Boehner would become president, right?

So you don't support Gary Johnson, then?

And are you implying that Obama is lining his own pockets at our detriment now or in the past 4 years?

No, I never trusted Johnson.

I was actually talking about Congress and state politicians as well. Obama has been lining his pockets this whole 4 years.

So you weren't for Gary "Lining his friend's pockets with campaign contributions" Johnson then I assume?

Obama has been lining his pockets this whole 4 years.

How?

Is that even possible? And if so, why would they do this? That would mean, should the next president die, that Boehner would become president, right?

No, the VP would take over. Say, hypothetically, Hillary runs in 2016 and chooses Bill as her VP. If Hillary were elected, and resigned/died/impeached, Bill would become President again, without being elected, and notwithstanding his two previous terms. He just couldn't run in 2020.

Horza:

Also suggests SuperPACs were a huge, expensive waste at the presidential level, buying unfocused, uncoordinated ads at higher rates. The real damage was done down-ballot.

I don't think it's an accident that SuperPAC spending was so wasteful. Money should properly be funneled to battleground states according to election doctrine, but a lot of money was dumped in non-contested areas. This SuperPAC spending is yet another scene where cronies sling money around to each other -- campaign staff have friends who make stupid ads in uncompetitive districts, or manage ad buys, etc. The right wingers with SuperPACs basically ran their advertising the way their guys run government -- consuming money from the public and shoveling it around to their buddies.

No, the VP would take over. Say, hypothetically, Hillary runs in 2016 and chooses Bill as her VP. If Hillary were elected, and resigned/died/impeached, Bill would become President again, without being elected, and notwithstanding his two previous terms. He just couldn't run in 2020.

Oh, I see. That makes more sense.

From TrackerNeil:

Wait...so instead of supporting a candidate who would have been closer to you on many issues, you voted for the guy more likely to take a position you'll dislike? You didn't punish Romney or the GOP; you punished yourself. However, your voting philosophy has a counterpart on the left. I can't tell you how many people I spoke to who, angry that Obama has not endorsed full scale legalization of marijuana, voted for Romney who was even less likely to do so. Hmm.

My reply:

Are you implying I voted for Obama? 99% of Paul supporters wouldn't be caught dead voting for Obama or Romney.

I wrote in Ron Paul. Which I consider an improvement over my vote for McCain in 2008.

Archived