US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

Nice to see that things are calming down and that republicans are reacting in a chill and relaxed fashion.

This shit is just absolutely hilarious. I admit, I take a perverse pleasure in watching Democrats lose it as well, and I remember the histrionics over Bush winning a second term way back when I was in University (one of my professors in a small, seminar-style course actually offered to suspend the normal class to have a group therapy/grieving session, I shit you not. Thank goodness nobody narced him out or I'm sure he would have been featured in some Fox News segment on liberal college professors destroying America). But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats watching the eyes of these racist, misogynist shitheads grow wide and terrified with the dawning belief that they no longer own the country. That they've lost, forever (!) and that America has begun its horrifying and inevitable slide into... I don't know, Canada or something.

I know it won't last. I know eventually their psychological armor will repair itself and they'll begin to believe again in the comforting cocoon of lies they hibernate in. But for now... yes now, it's so, so sweet.

And Stewart and Colbert have been absolutely at the top of their game recently, which just makes it all the more hilarious.

i'd written elsewhere that

please take notice that we shall be able to prove conclusively that the united states is more progressive than the gulf oil monarchies, the third reich, the holy roman empire, tsarist russia, the kingdom of gondor, narnia, and david cross’ new freeland.

so, yeah, a small list of places for dissatisfied crazies to go. maybe they can invent a time machine and john-galt themselves back to the dark ages? they should be happy there.

Yeah, what the hell is going in Mississippi and Alabama, and bits of Louisiana and what looks like the non-Atlanta bits of Georgia over there? I mean, Mississippi and Alabama. Demographic shifts? A stark lack of appeal from a millionaire candidate in poorer areas? The mormonism? Thats like the most interesting election map i've seen yet.

The blue parts in Georgia belong to cities like Columbus. There's some Macon blueness going on. Atlanta is fairly divided; the south part is more Democratically inclined, and the north is more Republican-minded. Anyhow, any blue section you see is likely to be a city.

Yeah, what the hell is going in Mississippi and Alabama, and bits of Louisiana and what looks like the non-Atlanta bits of Georgia over there? I mean, Mississippi and Alabama. Demographic shifts? A stark lack of appeal from a millionaire candidate in poorer areas? The mormonism? Thats like the most interesting election map i've seen yet.

While it's got a long way to go, the South is slowly moving back to the center. It will never be "liberal" by any stretch, but I suspect that moderate Democrats will once again be able to win elected office in some local/state elections by the end of the decade.

The question is will the national Democratic Party work to help this movement or not. They have barely invested any time or resources in the South the last 10 years other than in Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia.

If I may offer a non-statistically based hypothesis on why Romeny didn't fare as well among Southern white voters as some expected it can be explained with one word, "Mormon". There were plenty of evangelical Christians who simply would not vote for a Mormon.

This was a problem, I know that there were some who would not vote for him simply because he is a Mormon and did not vote. It was not a major issue in the General Election but it was in the Primaries. A lot Christians did not like/trust him because of his religion.

I know it won't last. I know eventually their psychological armor will repair itself and they'll begin to believe again in the comforting cocoon of lies they hibernate in. But for now... yes now, it's so, so sweet.

Seems like the more they double down, the more they lose. Even Ann Coulter was pissed about Akin and Murdock.

Seems like the more they double down, the more they lose. Even Ann Coulter was pissed about Akin and Murdock.

Didn't she predict the Republicans had no shot at the Presidential election if Chris Christie wasn't running? How's she feel about him now I wonder?

She pretty much went to the predicted talking point of "takers vs makers".

This is hilarious:

"Mitt Romney was the president we needed right now, and I think it is so sad that we are going to be deprived of his brain power, of his skills in turning companies around, turning the Olympics around, his idea and his kindness for being able to push very conservative ideas on a country that no longer is interested in conservative ideas. It is interested in handouts."

At least she and the other right wing hacks talking about "Obama won because half the country is dependent on the government" (PS, hey geniuses, every single fucking person living in this country depends on the government in at least a handful of vital, life-sustaining ways) have finally revealed their long-concealed contempt for the majority of Americans. The prevalence of "real Americans" talk in previous cycles foreshadowed it, and we rampaging liberals have always known: Coulter, Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, et al (and a significant portion of the Republican Party leadership) loathe anyone who isn't like them: rich, white, Christian. And you should be male, or at least be a blonde with nice gams.

Archived