US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

While it's got a long way to go, the South is slowly moving back to the center. It will never be "liberal" by any stretch, but I suspect that moderate Democrats will once again be able to win elected office in some local/state elections by the end of the decade.

The question is will the national Democratic Party work to help this movement or not. They have barely invested any time or resources in the South the last 10 years other than in Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia.

That will change as the South starts being more democratic party friendly.

Resources are invested based on election returns and factors like that. More votes in Georgia means more money next election.

Four years ago their platform insisted that America is at heart a conservative country.

Now we are a nation of freeloaders in need of correction by the conservative minority.

It's kind of awesome how the rhetoric has turned around. Coulter just outright admits it in that quote:

his kindness for being able to push very conservative ideas on a country that no longer is interested in conservative ideas

The bolded could be a punch line in any left-wing article/blog/etc.

Four years ago their platform insisted that America is at heart a conservative country.

Now we are a nation of freeloaders in need of correction by the conservative minority.

There's always been quite a bit of doublethink going on in the minds of modern Republicans, but it is amusing that they're unable to see it.

They essentially believe both of these things at the same time: "America is a center right conservative nation whose liberals consist solely of Ivory Tower academics, latte sipping limo driving liberals, Hollywood, and the news media. Conservative principles are why it's the greatest nation on earth" and "America is at the early stages of being a dystopia where a majority of people are dependent on the government, and only interested in handouts because they're just takers. If only someone from the increasing minority that the True Conservativeâ„¢ are could save us by the strength of his small government ideals!"

That they never seem to be able to process that some of the areas most dependent on handouts and government assistance are also those who vote Republican most reliably also tickles my sense of irony.

Lastly, it also amuses that for all the conservative Sound and Fury, come election day they were solidly and thoroughly voted down by quieter people who weren't interested in their wannabe crusades on social issues. I imagine Nixon rolling in his grave at the fact that the "silent majority" is now backing the Democrats.

The prevalence of "real Americans" talk in previous cycles foreshadowed it, and we rampaging liberals have always known: Coulter, Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, et al (and a significant portion of the Republican Party leadership) loathe anyone who isn't like them: rich, white, Christian. And you should be male, or at least be a blonde with nice gams.

Now now DG, lets be fair here: I don't think they truly care what color a woman's hair is as long as she spouts conservative ideals and has nice gams. Oh sure, blonde is preferred and tends to get the most drool from them, but it's not like Sarah Palin or Haley Barbour is blonde.

Holy shit, were we as a whole such terrible sore losers back in 2004? I recall being upset and saddened and angry but not psychopathic.

My wife's aunt - the lady who flipped out on me and basically disowned my wife and I when I proved her Faux News talking points wrong - has gone completely off the deep end. Let me count the ways:

1. Her regression has been going on for months now; she apparently has lost over 30 pounds and half of her hair because she can't sleep or stop vomiting at the prospect of Obama finishing the job of destroying America.
  2. She has been posting and ranting about how Iran now has a free pass to rain nuclear destruction down upon us
  3. She's been spending massive amounts of her husbands money on fresh produce from the local farmer's market and canning it, which isn't crazy in and of itself, but she's doing so because she believes Obama has had "his" FDA poisoning all canned and frozen fruits & veggies
  4. and spends a few hours a night digging in her backyard to build a nuclear shelter
  5. She has been flying her flag outside her house upside down since Tuesday night.
  6. She disowned her own elderly mother for voting for Obama. Her mother is disabled from a workplace accident some 20 years ago (she's a nurse and broke both of her hips when an obese patient who should have been int he psyche ward basically squashed her). Her mother is on medicaid and a fixed income and owns two dogs, and she gets her dog food and meds from the aunt's husband who runs a vet clinic. The aunt's exact words apparently were, "maybe Obama will give your dogs food."
  7. And speaking of the vet clinic, she has insisted her husband raise prices by 20% immediately to pay for the Obama tax hikes he's going to put into effect now that he has established his dictatorship. And if he doesn't, that means he's on Obama's side and she's going to divorce him.

Just a year ago she seemed normal enough (as normal as a woman who proudly proclaims she's a Wiccan Reagan Republican can be) but she has gone completely off the handle now. She's almost cult-like in her bitter pettiness. And, from what I've been reading over the last few days, her sentiments are at least partially shared by a good 25% of the country.

I'm not convinced that Sandy turned the election. Romney's polling in swing states was never good. It might have boosted Obama's PV, but even there he only passed Romney after West Coast tallying was done.

I'm not convinced that Sandy turned the election. Romney's polling in swing states was never good. It might have boosted Obama's PV, but even there he only passed Romney after West Coast tallying was done.

Yea, Romney was never winning this election, Sandy or not.

Holy shit, were we as a whole such terrible sore losers back in 2004? I recall being upset and saddened and angry but not psychopathic.

My wife's aunt - the lady who flipped out on me and basically disowned my wife and I when I proved her Faux News talking points wrong - has gone completely off the deep end. Let me count the ways:

1. Her regression has been going on for months now; she apparently has lost over 30 pounds and half of her hair because she can't sleep or stop vomiting at the prospect of Obama finishing the job of destroying America.

2. She has been posting and ranting about how Iran now has a free pass to rain nuclear destruction down upon us

3. She's been spending massive amounts of her husbands money on fresh produce from the local farmer's market and canning it, which isn't crazy in and of itself, but she's doing so because she believes Obama has had "his" FDA poisoning all canned and frozen fruits & veggies

4. and spends a few hours a night digging in her backyard to build a nuclear shelter

5. She has been flying her flag outside her house upside down since Tuesday night.

6. She disowned her own elderly mother for voting for Obama. Her mother is disabled from a workplace accident some 20 years ago (she's a nurse and broke both of her hips when an obese patient who should have been int he psyche ward basically squashed her). Her mother is on medicaid and a fixed income and owns two dogs, and she gets her dog food and meds from the aunt's husband who runs a vet clinic. The aunt's exact words apparently were, "maybe Obama will give your dogs food."

7. And speaking of the vet clinic, she has insisted her husband raise prices by 20% immediately to pay for the Obama tax hikes he's going to put into effect now that he has established his dictatorship. And if he doesn't, that means he's on Obama's side and she's going to divorce him.

Just a year ago she seemed normal enough (as normal as a woman who proudly proclaims she's a Wiccan Reagan Republican can be) but she has gone completely off the handle now. She's almost cult-like in her bitter pettiness. And, from what I've been reading over the last few days, her sentiments are at least partially shared by a good 25% of the country.

I don't think she sounds Republican, she sounds Crazy. Like legitimate Crazy.

Honestly, yes. Maybe not the folks of this board since I wasn't around then and didn't see these fine folks reactions, but in general - yes. The guy I voted for lost, this country is going to hell, might as well leave the country, etc. We will see the same thing in 2016 too, regardless of who or what party wins.

There's always been quite a bit of doublethink going on in the minds of modern Republicans, but it is amusing that they're unable to see it.

They essentially believe both of these things at the same time: "America is a center right conservative nation whose liberals consist solely of Ivory Tower academics, latte sipping limo driving liberals, Hollywood, and the news media. Conservative principles are why it's the greatest nation on earth" and "America is at the early stages of being a dystopia where a majority of people are dependent on the government, and only interested in handouts because they're just takers. If only someone from the increasing minority that the True Conservativeâ„¢ are could save us by the strength of his small government ideals!"

That they never seem to be able to process that some of the areas most dependent on handouts and government assistance are also those who vote Republican most reliably also tickles my sense of irony.

Lastly, it also amuses that for all the conservative Sound and Fury, come election day they were solidly and thoroughly voted down by quieter people who weren't interested in their wannabe crusades on social issues. I imagine Nixon rolling in his grave at the fact that the "silent majority" is now backing the Democrats.

Silent Majority/Persecuted Minority has been the GOP thing for ages now. It's how they simultaneously justify the rightness of their beliefs with the rage and fear they need to survive.

Now now DG, lets be fair here: I don't think they truly care what color a woman's hair is as long as she spouts conservative ideals and has nice gams. Oh sure, blonde is preferred and tends to get the most drool from them, but it's not like Sarah Palin or Haley Barbour is blonde.

Of course it doesn't matter what colour a woman's hair is. That's why blonde-in-a-bottle is there for.

And speaking of the vet clinic, she has insisted her husband raise prices by 20% immediately to pay for the Obama tax hikes he's going to put into effect now that he has established his dictatorship. And if he doesn't, that means he's on Obama's side and she's going to divorce him.

Her husband should definitely make use of this out.

Yep, that bitterness is going to stay around for awhile, and eventually there is going to be a butcher's bill that democrats, liberals/progressives and even moderates have to pay due to that. I don't relish seeing that, or the losses democrats will have to start paying when the right sees fit to simply start fielding conservative candidates instead of True Conservative Tea Party Favorite Fundamentalist Nutcase style conservatives.

This last election would have been much harder on the Democrats chances in Congressional races without the latter style of conservative. That said, if the Right doubles down on the Tea Party fringe and the crazy, as some online readings and posts like one made by Mcbigski in a previous thread indicate, while we'll have to continue dealing with crap from them that makes us want to pull our hair out and question the sanity of the country and the world as a whole, the Right will continue losing elections while wondering why their True Conservatives keep losing and the Left and Middle seem stronger every year.

That is... a special brand of crazy right there.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is out of control. Someone I know (we'll call her S) texted a conservative friend (not a friend of mine thankfully) with a question about swimming and got a huge political diatribe in response, with a bonus section attacking public healthcare, saying that the care S's husband received for his cancer would not happen in a nationalized system. In a completely unrelated part, S had posted on her Facebook that she and her husband, who we'll call B, used to vote with the kids in tow, and that she was sad this election because her kids went into the voting booth with someone who was not B (B passed away from melanoma earlier this year). When S texted her friend back that she was feeling confused about why all the political stuff and her husband would come up, the reply was essentially that conservative friend knows that it's hard to watch another man vote with the kids BUT THE REAL PAIN IS THAT THIS BELOVED COUNTRY IS DYING, she is absolutely devastated, S has been through some dark times but conservative friend went through hell on election night.

??????

I'll give you Palin, but I am pretty sure Haley Barbour is not who you were thinking of...

Have you gotten this call yet?

http://www.liveleak....=d3b_1352366340

Cause I think you've got a cousin posting somewhere online. :P

anyone mathematically proficient, with time on hand, want to solve a problem?

hypothesis: states with 3 electoral votes skew results.

evidence: US total 2012 presidential PV = 120,039,056. each of the 538 EV is abstractly weighted ~223,121 PV.

compare WY-- 3 electoral votes based on (extrapolated) popular votes this time of ~246,000. actual weight of each EV is ~82,146.

compare CA-- 55 EV based on (extrapolated) PV of ~9,397,000. actual weight of each EV is ~170,854.

compare TX-- 38 EV based on (extrapolated) PV of ~8,010,448. actual weight of each EV is ~210,801.

compare ND-- 3 EV based on (extrapolated PV of 318,445. actual weight of each EV is ~106,148.

based on this brief survey, 3 EV states guarantee their winners proportionally higher returns on PV investment.

states with 3 EV are: AK, DE, DC, MT, ND, SD, VT, WY.

not sure if works the same with 4-EV states. suspect not, as the floor of 3 EV is what generates the distortion.

so i ask thee, sages of the board: why should we put up with the tyranny of small states?

Archived