US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

I feel like singing... "Schaaaaaaaadenfreude..."

Many of the lightning bolts were aimed at none other than Karl Rove, the former Bush administration political genius who oversaw the deployment of nearly $400 million in campaign spending through outside groups American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS toward the presidential race and toward numerous Senate and House races.

"The billionaire donors I hear are livid," one Republican operative told The Huffington Post. "There is some holy hell to pay. Karl Rove has a lot of explaining to do … I don't know how you tell your donors that we spent $390 million and got nothing."

Rove even suffered the indignity of being insulted on Twitter by the blustery Donald Trump, who had attended Romney's election night party here on Tuesday night, but left early after it was clear that Obama had won a second term.

"Congrats to @KarlRove on blowing $400 million this cycle. Every race @CrossroadsGPS ran ads in, the Republicans lost. What a waste of money," Trump tweeted, inaccurately.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/republican-reckoning-defeat_n_2090510.html

so i ask thee, sages of the board: why should we put up with the tyranny of small states?

Fuck if I know. I say each state should just get its congressional representation, without the gimme of the two Senate spots as well. Take the thumb off the scales. That compromise was in there because the Infallible Founding Fathers wanted an agrarian state of gentleman (slave-owning) farmers. We are not that any more.

Where is each EV worth more than 223k votes then?

Ohio, Virginia and Florida (at the very least). I'm not kidding, I looked at HuffPo results and we have

Virginia - 3.65M/13 = 280 K

Ohio - 5.3M/18 = 294K

Florida - 8.2M/29 = 282K

Penn - 5.5M/20 = 275K

NC - 4.3M/15 = 287K

MI - 4.4k/16 = 275k

And so on......

Pretty pleased that the Republicans failed in their bid to literally buy power, really. That's an especially naked and offensive way to put it.

Also rather pleased that Republican attempts to suppress minority voters in many cases just made them madder. See: Pennsylvania, where CNN says black voter turnout exceeded 2008 levels. It turns out people don't like being disenfranchised.

Holy shit, were we as a whole such terrible sore losers back in 2004? I recall being upset and saddened and angry but not psychopathic.

I seem to remember a certain fantasy author posting a huge rant on his website on election night 2004, but then quickly took it down after once he cooled off.

I remember a website devoted to pictures of liberals holding up "I'm Sorry" signs to apologize to the rest of the world for 4 more years of Bush.

I myself remember commenting that I wish I could move to Canada to get away from the Bush admin but I was still in a state of mind knowing it was not feasible, basically I was depressed as shit, bordering on the suicidal.

But, IMHO, I do think some of these republicans have stepped it up just a notch...

so i ask thee, sages of the board: why should we put up with the tyranny of small states?

Why indeed? Dissolve the union ASAP. It serves no useful purpose.

Pretty pleased that the Republicans failed in their bid to literally buy power, really. That's an especially naked and offensive way to put it.

The Democrats managed to buy power though, having outspent the Republicans.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance

I think we were pretty distraught in 2004, but there are important differences.

One: the things we got mad at Bush for are actual things he did, not absurd fantasies that never happened.

Two: the level of rhetoric is simply not comparable. None of us demanded our friends divorce their conservative spouses or drop their conservative friends or quit their jobs working for conservative bosses.

Holy shit, were we as a whole such terrible sore losers back in 2004? I recall being upset and saddened and angry but not psychopathic.

Emphatically, no. We were rightfully scathing of Bush, and most of us correctly predicted most of the consequences of the terrible decision of re-electing him, though we did not truly understand then the severity of the economic precipice we were standing on or the true extent of the futility of the war in Iraq. I predicted that the following four years would be a disaster, and undershot significantly.

I remember being upset but I never seriously thought Kerry was going to win despite the resentment towards Bush. I was just awaiting the inevitable and still unhappy when it came.

I was in a bubble similar to that the republicans were this go 'round, I thought Kerry had a real chance. Since then I've learned, for instance, with polling looking the way it did this time around it was still ok to feel good about chances, just be cautious, be concerned, be wary, just don't go too far and be resigned to hopelessness.

Conservative meltdowns are fun, but I do recall liberal hysterics in 2004. Small sample sizes and all that.

Of course, in fairness to liberals, the thread from which Roe v. Wade hung was a cause of justifiable panic.

I seem to remember a certain fantasy author posting a huge rant on his website on election night 2004, but then quickly took it down after once he cooled off.

I remember a website devoted to pictures of liberals holding up "I'm Sorry" signs to apologize to the rest of the world for 4 more years of Bush.

I myself remember commenting that I wish I could move to Canada to get away from the Bush admin but I was still in a state of mind knowing it was not feasible, basically I was depressed as shit, bordering on the suicidal.

Honestly, I was just as bad. I would have personally held up an "I'm sorry" sign. I wanted an apology tour.

Archived