US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

And speaking of political dynasties, on Tuesday Joseph P. Kennedy III (grandson of Bobby Kennedy) was elected to replace the retiring Rep. Barney Frank. Word already is that if Kerry is tapped to become Secretary of State, he'll be the Democratic nominee in the special election (and yes, Scott Brown will run for it as well, but good luck beating a Kennedy in Massachusetts).

Let's leave Kerry where he is so we don't have to deal with another Massachusetts Miracle, OK?

2012 was the first election since 1976 that didn't have a Bush or Clinton on a ballot (2008 was the first if we don't count primaries) and Bill Clinton was still heavily involved in the campaign. And right now the presumed favorites for the 2016 nominations are a Bush and a Clinton.

And speaking of political dynasties, on Tuesday Joseph P. Kennedy III (grandson of Bobby Kennedy) was elected to replace the retiring Rep. Barney Frank. Word already is that if Kerry is tapped to become Secretary of State, he'll be the Democratic nominee in the special election (and yes, Scott Brown will run for it as well, but good luck beating a Kennedy in Massachusetts).

Hmmmm...yes, I think that the Clinton name was mentioned as well in terms of equality when talking presidential elections.

And with Kennedy, does this mean a new streak of Kennedys serving in congress in one form or another? How long was the old steak? 70 years?

Ahhhhh, Texas...

http://www.star-tele...cial-wants.html

Texas Republicans are already using the s-word.

One party official from Southeast Texas calls for -- not secession -- separation.

"Why should Vermont and Texas live under the same government?" writes Hardin County Republican treasurer Peter Morrison, a Ron Paul supporter and author of a race-heavy Tea Party newsletter.

"Let each go her own way," he writes, demanding an "amicable divorce" from the U.S. and from the "maggots" who re-elected President Obama.

Evoking the history of Confederate soldiers who refused to surrender after Gettysburg, Morrison, 33, calls for Texans to fight "in hopes that Providence might shine upon our cause."

Morrison is particularly angry at Asian-Americans and Hispanics who backed Obama, accusing them of voting on an "ethnic basis."

"'They' re-elected Obama," Morrison wrote. "He is their president."

Oh, did I mention that Morrison was chosen by former State Board of Education Chairman Don McLeroy to help screen Texas public school textbooks?

The part in bold is what I find the scariest.

Let's leave Kerry where he is so we don't have to deal with another Massachusetts Miracle, OK?

I think a lot of people agree with you, but nonetheless Kerry is on the shortlist. So is Susan Rice, but that nomination process would be hell with Republicans creaming "Benghazi" over and over. No idea who else is on the list. I wouldn't be surprised if either Lugar or Huntsman were also on the list though, it would give Obama pretty much all the bipartisan cover he'd ever need to be able to hammer House Republicans on domestic stuff. And both of them are qualified for the job and seem to pretty much see eye-to-eye with Obama on foreign policy.

folks may think that texas textbooks only affect Texas, but what Texas wants in textbooks winds up in the textbooks of most of America, virtually the entire midwest and south tie all their textbook standards to the Texas standards, so being appointed to that position makes someone one of the most powerful people in the country.

I think a lot of people agree with you, but nonetheless Kerry is on the shortlist. So is Susan Rice, but that nomination process would be hell with Republicans creaming "Benghazi" over and over. No idea who else is on the list. I wouldn't be surprised if either Lugar or Huntsman were also on the list though, it would give Obama pretty much all the bipartisan cover he'd ever need to be able to hammer House Republicans on domestic stuff. And both of them are qualified for the job and seem to pretty much see eye-to-eye with Obama on foreign policy.

Some colleagues of mine were commenting at lunch yesterday on how hard the job of Secretary of State has been on Hillary Clinton and how tired she looks these days.

Richard Lugar is 80 years old. Do we really want to put someone who's 80 into that demanding position?

Off heard remark, I think on O'Donnell yesterday or the day before: Since 1952 some names keep repeating on the GOP Presidential ticket in one position or the other. Sometimes winning. Sometimes not.

Nixon: 1952, 1956, 1960, 1968, 1972

Reagan: 1980, 1984 (also noting that he nearly took the nomination in 1976)

Bush: 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 2000, 2004

Dole: 1976, 1996

Now I'm trying to remember the whole point from memory, but it boiled down to the idea that a large issue with the GOP could be it's reliance on specific names. That they're incapable of thinking outside of the box, or when they do go outside of the box, they're so outside of it they get someone like Palin...

It's a lot of nothing, but kinda fascinating none the less...

The last time a Republican won when there was neither a Bush or a Nixon on the ticket was Herbert Hoover.

I will be shocked if a real secession movement gets started.

No, but it's good to have all this ammunition against people who think Repubs aren't racist. Dems should be looking to kill the already weakening GOP brand further among minorities.

eta: Always nice when bigots have to pay up:

Hate Group Leader Owes Rachel Maddow $24,625.23

Minnesota hate group leader Bradlee Dean sued Rachel Maddow last year after Maddow quoted Dean verbatim seeming to express support for countries that execute gay people. Maddow successfully called for the silly complaint to be dismissed, and a judge agreed, ordering Dean to also cover Maddow’s legal fees. He requested a stay on that punishment, and yesterday it was denied. He now must pay Maddow $24,625.23 before November 13 or he could be held in contempt of court.

Texas is also a huge economic center for the US, with one of the largest finance, tech, and energy sectors in the country, not to mention vast resources in terms of human capital, oil & gas, farmland, cattle, cotton, etc.

The Feds might let some states go, in theory, but never one as big and rich as Texas.

Speaking of Texas and political dynasties, Jeb Bush's son just filed his early paperwork for a run at state office. No word yet on what he'll run for, but he's going to be a star in the GOP in the future. He is half-Hispanic and speaks Spanish fluently (apparently), he's successful in business, he's extremely well-connected, he's young (early 30s I think), handsome, and despite his heritage is white enough for the Tea Party ;)

Texas is also a huge economic center for the US, with one of the largest finance, tech, and energy sectors in the country, not to mention vast resources in terms of human capital, oil & gas, farmland, cattle, cotton, etc.

The Feds might let some states go, in theory, but never one as big and rich as Texas.

I fail to see how this could possibly be a relevant issue. It's not up to "the Feds" whether or not Texas secedes.

Archived