US Politics Episode 6 - Return of the Prez

Stubby

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57547014/racial-slurs-yelled-at-ole-miss-obama-protest/

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but last night, Ole Miss had a student gathering protesting the reelection of Obama. Around 400 people showed up and people were shouting racial slurs.

This is an absolute embarrassment. The University has been trying to move away from its past. I am ashamed to be a Southerner today.

For all the liberal moping and histrionics in 2004, I don't recall anyone calling Bush a nigger.

For what it's worth, Bush was called white trash, a redneck, and compared to a monkey and a chimp. There just isn't a racial epithet loaded enough for white people to hurl at another white man that carries with it the history and connotation of nigger, but I think there are definitely some liberals out there that would have used that word if it had existed. Even comparing Bush to a chimp is one of those things that, tasteless enough on its own, would have an extra dimension of horribleness if it were deployed against Obama (which surely, it has been).

For all the liberal moping and histrionics in 2004, I don't recall anyone calling Bush a nigger.

That would kind of stupid, don't you think?

While you all are stroking each other about how totally different your whining is from conservative whining, can we get a board agreement to stop whining about the 2000 election? K, thx.

Election night I had this conversation:

Daughter: "Who do you want to win?"

Me: "Obama"

Daughter: "Me, too, but..."

Me: "What?"

Daughter: "Well, Tyler said that if Obama wins his parents said they are moving to Tennessee"

Me: "Oh. Well, that's really unfortunate"

Me thinking: (What a couple of fucking idiots)

Though I do seem to remember people after 2004 talking about leaving the country to go live in Europe.

We had the "Bush is a monkey' pics and insults, but using that slur is just a whole nother level of plain fucking wrong.

That would kind of stupid, don't you think?

While you all are stroking each other about how totally different your whining is from conservative whining, can we get a board agreement to stop whining about the 2000 election? K, thx.

I think the displays of racism are a key difference and the comparison is somewhat worthwhile. The GOP proves, on a consistent basis, in various ways, why minorities shouldn't support it.

So is use of the term "a whole nother". :P

I have a tendency to use colloquialisms that have been stuck in my subconscious since early childhood, though it happens rarely, usually when I write faster than I think, and usually to my own detriment, I agree.

I think the displays of racism are a key difference and the comparison is somewhat worthwhile. The GOP proves, on a consistent basis, in various ways, why minorities shouldn't support it.

Nestor already pointed out that Bush was called every name under the sun, including those reserved only for whites. Obviously the N-Word (that which shall not be said) carries greater weight due to its history, etc. I don't think that would have stopped lefties from using a similar term had it existed, though.

DG,

Fuck if I know. I say each state should just get its congressional representation, without the gimme of the two Senate spots as well. Take the thumb off the scales. That compromise was in there because the Infallible Founding Fathers wanted an agrarian state of gentleman (slave-owning) farmers. We are not that any more.

You'll need the consent of every single State to change equal sufferage in the Senate. Good luck with that. That said I do think it's high time we held a new Constitutional convention wher everything is on the table.

DG,

You'll need the consent of every single State to change equal sufferage in the Senate. Good luck with that. That said I do think it's high time we held a new Constitutional convention wher everything is on the table.

Only if secession is available.

edit

So what are the chances of Jeb running in 2016?

And where are we all planning on moving if he wins? ;)

I'm betting it will be Rand Paul and Marco Rubio. Don't know the order though.

I don't think that would have stopped lefties from using a similar term had it existed, though.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't think mean to say the majority of the GOP is racist, though the polling that showed how many were against interracial marriage was disturbing.

The problem is not simply numbers, but the election strategy used by the GOP relies partly on racism.

One can make the argument that continual contact with minority conservatives will change the party, but any PoC (or LGBT person in my view) choosing to "martyr" themselves should understand they are simultaneously helping to ensure the perpetuation of that strategy.

Political parties change when they lose on a consistent basis.

Things that Obama did again, but we're not focusing on that. In fact we're fanatically prosecuting any member of government who tries to bring it up.

You're talking to a third-party voter who has been screaming about it this whole time, dude.

Archived