Young Griff Casting -Spoilers For ADwD-

Aegon Targaryen VI

The disease could be spread from the daughter of Stannis.

I really don't think that would work dramatically. The plague needs to come a visiting and TV viewers need to see it coming. Besides how are they going to explain that one minute Shireen isn't contagious and the next she is?

I just don't see, I don't see how they can cut fAegon, even if he is fake, imposture is still central to the plot, but the main reason I would put forward is this: Greyscale.

Westeros is the main continent where the action of the series plays out (see the opening) and in Westeros we have war, we have death, we will soon start to see the effects of famine... Now we need plague.

I don't buy that the advent of greyscale will have more of an impact if it is just an adjunct to the plot that if it is centred around a character. Someone who has been introduced to the viewers will have to be responsible for the introduction of greyscale in Westeros, for me that is the main reason for the fAegon sub-plot: A vector for disease.

Feel free to disagree.

Cutting Aegon completely alters the game Varys is playing. I just don't see him getting the ax.

Well it would be an oversimplification, but they could just default to Varys and Illyrio's plan being all about getting Daenerys on the Iron Throne. There are four books worth of story to condense into three seasons. Even if you look at the fact that two of the books aren't written yet, no matter what there will be huge cuts in order to finish in seven seasons. Even if the Griffs are important to the ending, the show's story could just be different where they're involved.

I hadn't thought about it before reading this, but I really think Nicholas Hoult would be great!

Although I do agree with those saying it might be difficult due to his experience now, especially Xmen. Although GOT is becoming extremely well known, and huge actors have been cast from season one!

Well it would be an oversimplification, but they could just default to Varys and Illyrio's plan being all about getting Daenerys on the Iron Throne. There are four books worth of story to condense into three seasons. Even if you look at the fact that two of the books aren't written yet, no matter what there will be huge cuts in order to finish in seven seasons. Even if the Griffs are important to the ending, the show's story could just be different where they're involved.

If Varys' plan all along has only been to restore the Targaryen dynasty, then he's a massive failure and his character would be completely ridiculous - after all, he let Viserys die and sold Dany to the Dothraki where she was very unlikely to survive... And let's not forget, he wouldn't have needed to restore the Targaryen dynasty if he had actually kept Aerys on the throne!

And if his plan is to help Dany win the throne, why is he trying to convince the small council about the threat she poses? Why help Tywin remove Dany's most trusted adviser?

Show-Varys is a total enigma... and for the wrong reasons if Aegon is not included.

If Varys' plan all along has only been to restore the Targaryen dynasty, then he's a massive failure and his character would be completely ridiculous - after all, he let Viserys die and sold Dany to the Dothraki where she was very unlikely to survive... And let's not forget, he wouldn't have needed to restore the Targaryen dynasty if he had actually kept Aerys on the throne!

And if his plan is to help Dany win the throne, why is he trying to convince the small council about the threat she poses? Why help Tywin remove Dany's most trusted adviser?

Show-Varys is a total enigma... and for the wrong reasons if Aegon is not included.

And they will have to explain the scene in Season 1 where Arya overhears Varys and Ilyrio.

And they will have to explain the scene in Season 1 where Arya overhears Varys and Ilyrio.

Using the same logic they should have not left Tysha out since they mentioned her countless times in the previous three seasons. You can argue her omission took the sense out of Tyrion's encounter with Tywin in the season four finale. I'm not saying I think it's a great move story wise, just that it wouldn't surprise me if the showrunners went that route.

If Varys' plan all along has only been to restore the Targaryen dynasty, then he's a massive failure and his character would be completely ridiculous . . .

Many of the points you make are not truly elaborated on in the television series. I doubt the average television viewer is even aware of the effects Varys has had on Daenerys' story. The rest could probably be explained away by the fact that he had to look out for his own neck. Moreover, they might change the narrative dramatically enough that Varys proves instrumental in securing Dorne for Daenerys. Which is to say that I do not think the changing of Varys' character is this insurmountable obstacle that you make it seem.

I would prefer the book version of course, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if they make Varys into a Targaryen supporter.

Varys...

...Did nothing for Viserys and allowed him to become the Beggar King for nearly two decades.

...Gave away Viserys and Dany to Dothraki, a bunch of very dangerous sauvages. Viserys died and Dany nearly died.

...Has warned the Small Council about Dany's pregnancy.

...Supported the idea to sent a killer after Dany. The only thing that saved Dany was Jorah falling in love with her, something Varys cannot know.

...Spent the whole season 4 warning Tywin about how dangerous Dany.

...Allowed Tywin's letter to reach Meereen, which lead to Dany losing her most valuable advisor in a time where she needs him the most.

If show!Varys is a Targ/Dany supporter, then he is the biggest idiot in Planetos.

It made no sense for Roose Bolton to tell Walder Frey "Well, Ramsay has his own ways..." and indicate he knew Ramsay was flaying Theon, then to be surprised when he got back to the Dreadfort to find Ramsay had flayed Theon. It made no sense to omit Tysha from season 4. It made no sense for Bran and company to only be sixty miles away from the wall in the time it took Jon to heal enough to ride north and get the mutineers. It made no sense for the White Walkers to not kill Sam at the end of Episode 10 of season two. The Ion Cannon could have knocked down the imperial walkers but they never used them. The show has clearly shown it gives little regard for continuity and sense sometimes.

The banishment of Jorah doesn't stop the possibility of Varys factoring it into his plan, and maybe when Jorah left Meereen someone working for Varys and Illyrio picked him up and brought him back to Pentos where he would join up with Tyrion.

TBH, I don't recall if has been shown in the show that Varys could have been working against Aerys. I think the ones who can tell us about this are the Unsullied. I'll see if I can ask a few.

Archived