Young Griff Casting -Spoilers For ADwD-

Aegon Targaryen VI

A simple re-watch will show viewers that Varys putting Dany on the throne does not fit with his past actions: he told Tyrion he hated bloodmagic, he supported her assassination, he left her and Viserys to wander the free cities, he was part of the plot to sell her to the Dothraki, he's warned everyone about her dragons since back in season 2... If he wants Dany on the throne, why is he making her invasion more difficult?

If Varys is revealed to be a secret Targaryen supporter in the show, I'm sure many show watchers will love the twist. But I'm sure there will be a number of astute viewers who wll question why his actions and motivations are so contradictory.

Book-Varys is a mystery; show-Varys, if supporting Daenerys, will simply be a contradiction.

I honestly don't understand why so many people dislike the concept of 'flexibility'. Like saying that because Trystane wasn't Doran's eldest in Season 2, he can't be in Season 5. The correct response to this is that he can, because people die.

Similarly, in Season 1, Varys might not have felt that Dany was a good choice next to Robert from the point of view of 'the good of the counry as Varys sees it'. Since that time, given what the Lannister/Stark/Tyrell snafu did to the unity of the country, and given how much power Dany has gained, he might have changed his mind. That's actually pretty sensible a change of mind, even.

Character motivations need not be set in stone, you know?

I honestly don't understand why so many people dislike the concept of 'flexibility'. Like saying that because Trystane wasn't Doran's eldest in Season 2, he can't be in Season 5. The correct response to this is that he can, because people die.

Similarly, in Season 1, Varys might not have felt that Dany was a good choice next to Robert from the point of view of 'the good of the counry as Varys sees it'. Since that time, given what the Lannister/Stark/Tyrell snafu did to the unity of the country, and given how much power Dany has gained, he might have changed his mind. That's actually pretty sensible a change of mind, even.

It's also possible that Arianne and/or Quentyn will be in the show but only mentioned, not shown.

He warned the small council about her in season 4. Had he changed his mind, he wouldn't keep giving inside information and agree to send more spies. I think it's inconsistency and not flexibility in my opinion.

He warned the small council about her in season 4. Had he changed his mind, he wouldn't keep giving inside information and agree to send more spies. I think it's inconsistency and not flexibility in my opinion.

I took that scene as informing of her presence and significance to Oberyn, who surely would be willing to support her. There's also the fact that if he were to report nothing about Danaerys, the Council would begin to question why he was keeping information about her from them.

Why wouldn't he?

OK, alternative theory: show Varys changed his mind about Dany, blood magic and dragons right about when he climbed on that boat with Tyrion. The last drop was that Oberyn-Mountain-Tyrion thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Are we 100% positive Varys/ Illyrio sent the assassin after Dany in AGOT/ Season 1? Even if Jorah said anything about working with "the spider" he isn't in the same room as the person sending him orders from across the sea. Anybody claiming to be "the spider" could be doing that. Isn't poison wine a Littlefinger trick? It was Littlefinger who reminded everyone of Jorah Mormont not being a "traitor" simply a man who sold men into slavery, something Jorah also says to Viserys.

Interesting coincidence, but Littlefinger is also aware Illyrio has been sneaking into King's Landing. Illyrio saw Jorah Mormont the wedding of Dany and Khal Drogo, he just as easily could have reported to Varys that the exile knight was in her company. I think the show has been trying to get across that Littlefinger knows more about Varys's plans than he's letting on. Could be crackpot but it would be quite the twist.

Archived