Meaning of the resemblance in the Stark Family

par

It is written that Jon, Arya and Ned shared the same physical feature

(long faces and grey eyes) while all the other children looked more like their mother.

There must be a reason for that, except that I can’t figure out what it is.

Arya and Jon were especially close one each other, it’s true, but by no mean closer to Ned than the other children. Their personality is neither closer to Ned than the other children.

In fact, Robb is the one who usually has the same behavior like is father.

So what can it be? I

(long faces and grey eyes) while all the other children looked more like their mother.

Arya and Jon were especially close one each other, it’s true, but by no mean closer to Ned than the other children. Their personality is neither closer to Ned than the other children.

So what can it be? I

Genetics! =O

So what can it be? I

I for one think Jon is much more like Ned than Robb is. The concept of duty, honor, very Stark characteristics. Robb i'm not too sure was like Ned too much. Yes, he strived to be like Ned, learnt strategy, diplomacy, like a Stark heir should at his father's knee. But his personality was tempered with a bit of Tully.

Please, don't be naive.

The fact that GRRM tells again and again how much the three resemble one each other, and were different from the other means that it was not a simple genetical coincidence.

By the way, what are the characteristic of the Tullys, and how are they refleted in Robb,Bran,Sansa etc...?

Please, don't be naive.

The fact that GRRM tells again and again how much the three resemble one each other, and were different from the other means that it was not a simple genetical coincidence.

By the way, what are the characteristic of the Tullys, and how are they refleted in Robb,Bran,Sansa etc...?

Red hair and I think blue eyes. And I don't think it really means anything. Robb is very different a person to Edmure or Brynden.

Please, don't be naive.

The fact that GRRM tells again and again how much the three resemble one each other, and were different from the other means that it was not a simple genetical coincidence...

Without wanting to get into a debate that would be rich in spoilers I would say that you are right that GRRM is pushing those surface similarities and differences. Having said that as you read ASOIAF something useful to bear in mind is that what you see is not want you always get. The interior can be very different from the facade.

It is important to remember this is a POV novel and the context of the observations. When Arya and Sansa notice and reflect about the Tully and Stark features we are reading the thoughts of two children with childish outlooks on the world. Those differences are hugely important to them at that time and their physical features will have a role to play in the futures of those characters...so keep reading :)

• 4 weeks later...

Without wanting to get into a debate that would be rich in spoilers I would say that you are right that GRRM is pushing those surface similarities and differences. Having said that as you read ASOIAF something useful to bear in mind is that what you see is not want you always get. The interior can be very different from the facade.

It is important to remember this is a POV novel and the context of the observations. When Arya and Sansa notice and reflect about the Tully and Stark features we are reading the thoughts of two children with childish outlooks on the world. Those differences are hugely important to them at that time and their physical features will have a role to play in the futures of those characters...so keep reading :)

I agree there is importance somewhere because Mr. Martin wouldn't lead us on for something as basic as genetics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I wasn't aware that my posts were spoilers. It's difficult to know what to discuss since all the books are out already. Perhaps a forum for people who have read as far as Dance with Dragons? For the most part my posts were speculative giving interpretations of passages in the books. If this is not allowed, I can go somewhere else.

OK, I wasn't aware that my posts were spoilers. It's difficult to know what to discuss since all the books are out already. Perhaps a forum for people who have read as far as Dance with Dragons? For the most part my posts were speculative giving interpretations of passages in the books. If this is not allowed, I can go somewhere else.

If you've read up till Dance with Dragons then you're safe with the general forums. And there is in fact a still reading forum for DWD with threads for each chapter :)

• 6 months later...

So what can it be? I

I get what you're saying, but Jon is more like Ned than Robb who is a capable leader but is more of a 'Family, Duty, Honor' kinda guy, while Jon is more of a grim 'winter is coming' kinda guy just like Eddard, as for Arya, she's not exactly like Ned but she does favor other fundamentally Stark quality like free-spiritness and hotness in temper, she is more 'wolf-blodded' =)

• 1 month later...

Archived