Rhaegar Targaryen

IlMentore96

I don't see what Valyrians have to do with Greeks or Romans. Valyrians most definitely don't look Mediterrenean. No ethnic group in real life is characterized by silver hair and purple eyes. The closest you can get to silver hair are very fair haired Nordic children.

The Northerners, with their physical descriptions (e.g. the Starks with their brown hair and grey eyes), don't look particularly Nordic or German. And culture-wise, they don't seem to have that many similarities, either.

I can't think of a single similarity between the Ghiscari and the Turks/Ottoman Turks. Where does that come from?

wrong thread(Would be cool to elaborate on that subject anyway)

err optically I think that the Valyrians are greek like. Or macedonian. the whole story fits, the religion, the metaphors in their mythology etc, the names (King Agenor=Aegon)

Starks are so fucking nordic and german that it is blasphemy to deny it, honestly. The religion, the looks, the castles, the life style, the Wall...

Ghiscari and Turkish ahm, because they have similar culture in terms of fashion and architecture, the different cultural backgrounds, the Harem stuff. Not muslim thing, a turkish thing, persian babylonian. Turkish mainly because of the crossroads of the world there. The trade and the location. Slaver's Bay with the Skahaz, Konstantinyye/Istanbul and the Halic (golden horn), the places that once belonged to a different culture and religion, Istanbul was once Constantinoplois, so it was a roman city, then it became christian, then muslim, the Hagia Sofia...

So there are the links you need ;)

wrong thread(Would be cool to elaborate on that subject anyway)

err optically I think that the Valyrians are greek like. Or macedonian. the whole story fits, the religion, the metaphors in their mythology etc, the names (King Agenor=Aegon)

Starks are so fucking nordic and german that it is blasphemy to deny it, honestly. The religion, the looks, the castles, the life style, the Wall...

Actually, GRRM is on record as saying that the North is based on Scotland, and the Wall was specifically inspired by Hadrian's Wall, which is in...Scotland.

Granted Scotland does have Nordic influence, but you're way off with the German idea.

Actually, GRRM is on record as saying that the North is based on Scotland, and the Wall was specifically inspired by Hadrian's Wall, which is in...Scotland.

Granted Scotland does have Nordic influence, but you're way off with the German idea.

The Wall is based on Hadrian's Wall...eh he got inspired there.

But I live 'bout 20km from the real one that inspired the Wall.

The Limes in Germany.

Sure Hadrian's was also Roman and had the same purpose, but the Limes in Germany is the Wall.

North of that wall were swamps and deep forests, fierce beasts, wolfs, lynx and bears. And the brutal Germans. Men of high built and incredible force, with a different religion and different warfare.

They weren't even really seen during battles by the romans. They just blended in with the surrounding and made the lives of the invaders horrible.

Then there was that one guy that was taken slave by the Romans, raised in their ways..oh and he fled. He united the tribes and is depicted with a winged helmet, and he was a real pest for the Romans.

Rings a bell? Mance Rayder.

Sorry, but this is the Wall.

And this is the North of GRRM.

The Wall is based on Hadrian's Wall...eh he got inspired there.

But I live 'bout 20km from the real one that inspired the Wall.

The Limes in Germany.

Sure Hadrian's was also Roman and had the same purpose, but the Limes in Germany is the Wall.

North of that wall were swamps and deep forests, fierce beasts, wolfs, lynx and bears. And the brutal Germans. Men of high built and incredible force, with a different religion and different warfare.

They weren't even really seen during battles by the romans. They just blended in with the surrounding and made the lives of the invaders horrible.

Then there was that one guy that was taken slave by the Romans, raised in their ways..oh and he fled. He united the tribes and is depicted with a winged helmet, and he was a real pest for the Romans.

Rings a bell? Mance Rayder.

Sorry, but this is the Wall.

And this is the North of GRRM.

Sure that guy could be the inspiration for Mance.

As to the Wall are you saying the author is wrong or lying? When it comes to things like this, I tend to take the word of the author.

Lee Pace as Rhaegar. Maybe he should increase his musculature a little, but his facial traits are very Targaryenish if you ask me. Give him a wig like Peter Jackson did in the Hobbit and you got Rhaegar.

Possible.

Charlie Hunnam was another good suggestion.

As to the Wall are you saying the author is wrong or lying? When it comes to things like this, I tend to take the word of the author.

I went looking.

It seems so. The wall is in England though, Cumbria, the Antonine Wall is in Scotland.

http://www.sfsite.com/01a/gm95.htm

The Wall, the Others... where did that element of the story come from? Did that grow up as a plot device or is it more?

trib.gif Well some of it will be revealed later so I won't talk about that aspect of it, but certainly the Wall comes from Hadrian's Wall, which I saw while visiting Scotland. I stood on Hadrian's Wall and tried to imagine what it would be like to be a Roman soldier sent here from Italy or Antioch. To stand here, to gaze off into the distance, not knowing what might emerge from the forest. Of course fantasy is the stuff of bright colours and being larger than real life, so my Wall is bigger and considerably longer and more magical. And, of course, what lies beyond it has to be more than just Scots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness#Sexual_dimorphism

"Studies have shown that ovulating heterosexual women prefer faces with masculine traits associated with increased exposure to testosterone during key developmental stages, such as a broad forehead, relatively longer lower face, prominent chin and brow, chiselled jaw and defined cheekbones."

This is actually what I was talking about.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/27/the-secret-to-guys-sex-appeal-low-stress-high-testosterone-strong-immunity/

God no!!

Just, eerr, the Wall in its optics and location may well be Hadrian's wall (Westeros is anyway a mirror image of Great Britain), but the stories and the purpose is way more the Limes in Germany and the whole stories with the wildlings is based on a somewhat loose adaptation whatever of Hermann's saga and Gallic clans.

But why should he say that? That would be a huge spoiler. Mance is supposed to be a mystery, so he can't just say he is based on Hermann/Arminus. Everyone would have instantly known where the story would go.

Maybe grrm doesn't even know about the Limes in Germany, but I do, and it is really like a fantasy adaptation, his story of the real history.

Sorry I was looking through the old replies and... okay, this guy isn't only perfect because he's smoking hot, but because he looks like Kit Harrington's Jon Snow VERY MUCH! Perfection!

Sorry I was looking through the old replies and... okay, this guy isn't only perfect because he's smoking hot, but because he looks like Kit Harrington's Jon Snow VERY MUCH! Perfection!

Looks a bit different lately but could still work. Here's his IMDB profile. Apparently he sings, which is a plus for Rhaegar.

So I just made a list of hotties who I think could fit. This of this prototype of Rhaegar. I'm thinking tall and lithe, built but not in the WWE way, you know, more like a surfer way. And the features have to have "delicate" beauty; high cheekbones, refined nose, also I'm thinking someone who has a mouth similar to Kit's Jon Snow (idk why). Also he has to be old enough but not too old or doesn't look like it at least, and has a bit of acting chops (Alex Pettyfer looks perfect but I doubt he'd be a choice on a show like GoT). I think I've heard somewhere the next season will finally tell the story of the tourney at Harrenhal and the narrative behind Robert's Rebellion etc, and I think they'll do that via Bran (since Bran has gotten as far as he has in the books which means he has no more storyline for the show to go by, so I think they'll use his scenes to finally tell the untold stories), which means they'd have to cast Rhaegar and Lyanna and maybe the other characters in their prime too etc. And of course they'll try to find someone good but still not too expensive.

So here's the list I combined depending on those factors.

Gaspard Ulliel. 30. 5' 9½". I once joked he'd be a perfect prime-Ned, but rethinking it, he has the perfect features for Rhae. He does have Targaryen features and doesn't look too much unlike Harry Lloyd and Emilia, give him a platinum wig and he's good to go, though I don't know about his English.

Ben Barnes. 33. 6' 1". Looks timeless, is British and has the required features. Someone made this of him as Rhaegar (his face is photoshopped on Harry Lloyd's body and hair).

Daniel Sharman. 28. 6' 2". His features are really sharp and refined (Thank God for his cheekbones). British. Perfect.

Henry Cavill. 31. 6' 1". His salary may be a bit... big after Superman and all, but sue me, he's perfect. If I'm not wrong, this is made using a photo of him? Gets extra points for being British.

William Moseley. 27. 5' 10". IDK about his acting so that may be the only weakness here, but he's good otherwise. Also British.

Hayden Christensen. 33. 6'. Kudos to his face. Seems to be a good actor.

Archived