Who was the best king ?

Golden Lady

This thread makes me wonder how good a king Baelor Breakspear would have been.

True, a Second Blackfyre Rebellion would have been much less likely with Baelor as king. He was the warrior-statesman men who followed Daemon were looking for; the soul of chivalry, but at the same time practical and realistic.

• 2 months later...

None of them are any good. Just because Absolute Monarchy is invariably the law of the land in any Fantasy Novel we might happen to pick up and read doesn't mean it any better a system of government in a fictional world than it was in the real world, where we have completely repudiated it and disposed of it (for good reason).

And I think this is part of GRRM's point. Who's the Rightful King? Who Cares? Look how much damage, death, and destruction has come from trying to answer that question.

If you think monarchies are gone you're not paying attention.

I would say, after crazy Aerys and an always drunk King Robert (i like him, but he´s not the perfect King) somebody like Renly who is loved by the normal people would be a good solution ;) if Stannis would not only see his duty he maby would have noticed that the best idea would have been an army led by Renly and Stannis towards Kind landing.

Archived