London BWB Christmas/New Year Moot Dec 2012

Definitely can't do the 29th.

edit: well... actually, there's a vague chance. Got a couple of friends coming over from Belgium and I'm doubting their arrival time/tiredness will suit going out, but you never know.

We also have a suggestion for another meet up in the first two weeks of December but no specific date. I can't do the 7, 13 or 14, but any other date would be OK.

Since I won't be able to make any post-Christmas meet (which seems the more popular option), I thought I'd suggest Saturday the 15th if anyone is interested in having a small pre-Christmas meet? The disadvantage is that London will probably be very busy that day, but that's probably unavoidable at that time of year.

Since I won't be able to make any post-Christmas meet (which seems the more popular option), I thought I'd suggest Saturday the 15th if anyone is interested in having a small pre-Christmas meet? The disadvantage is that London will probably be very busy that day, but that's probably unavoidable at that time of year.

Both 15th and 29th would work for me - shall I see if the College Arms on Store Street has space for a small meet on the 15th?

Both 15th and 29th would work for me - shall I see if the College Arms on Store Street has space for a small meet on the 15th?

In theory I am IN. Decent boozer, the sofas at the back are the best seats eh.

All depends on pre-Christmas finance of course...I might be brassic by then.

I think the College Arms would be a good choice. As Isis said, we went there last year (I think we've had a meet there before that as well, although I can't remember when) and it seemed like a nice pub.

It should be noted that

i) they let you 'hire' some space (the downstairs section and at the back of the ground floor area)

ii) they don't charge you anything for it

iii) they are not properly organised with their bookings and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

Last year I went in there three or four times to clarify my booking for some space downstairs. On the night when I turned up they told me that there was another group booked into the space from 9pm. Nobody knew/bothered to tell me that on any of my other visits. So on the night they offered me the space at the back of the ground floor for the second part of the evening as the group booked into there 'should' be done with the table by 9. Trouble is, they have the music too loud up there.

I was too annoyed by their crap customer service skills to go back there again. It's a tolerably ok pub but it wouldn't get in my top 20. The only reason I chose that pub for last year is because it's my local pub when I'm at work. At least if you go on a saturday it'll be far quieter than during the week.

So - what's actually happening here ? Are we meeting or what ?

And - that pub sounds pants. There are so many excellent places to go with quality beer and ales and other seasonal tipples - can I vote for NOT going to a shit one ? I am happy to provide suggestions and even book something if you want ...

But beware that if you leave it up to me it may well be a gay bar ...

AND - as noone has posted here for a bit I am going to suggest a new years meet up instead so that Isis and Chal and Seany and everyone can come. It's too late to organise something for the next week or so now ( and yes I know I am perpetually late to the party ) so I vote for being inclusive and fun. They seemed a little ignored further up this thread and that is not in the spirit of the season, boys and girls.

So my suggestion is 3/4/5 January.

Last year I went in there three or four times to clarify my booking for some space downstairs. On the night when I turned up they told me that there was another group booked into the space from 9pm. Nobody knew/bothered to tell me that on any of my other visits. So on the night they offered me the space at the back of the ground floor for the second part of the evening as the group booked into there 'should' be done with the table by 9. Trouble is, they have the music too loud up there.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that, but now that you mention it I do remember we had to move upstairs because they'd double-booked the downstairs bit.

AND - as noone has posted here for a bit I am going to suggest a new years meet up instead so that Isis and Chal and Seany and everyone can come. It's too late to organise something for the next week or so now ( and yes I know I am perpetually late to the party ) so I vote for being inclusive and fun. They seemed a little ignored further up this thread and that is not in the spirit of the season, boys and girls.

So my suggestion is 3/4/5 January.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jo. I suggested a pre-Christmas date since I wouldn't be able to make it between Christmas and New Year (which other people seemed to prefer), but I'd be quite happy to drop that suggestion and meet up in the New Year instead if more people can make it then. It would have the additional advantage that London will presumably be less busy. I'd be able to make it on either the 4th or 5th, I'm travelling down from Scotland on the 3rd so whether I'd make it on that day probably depends on how smoothly the journey goes.

I wasn't really paying much attention to the post-Christmas/pre-New Year discussion since I wouldn't be able to make it then. I'm not sure whether they made a final decision on a date.

Probably won't still be there as late as the 5th, I start back at uni on the 7th and its a bitch of a drive. Will probably still be around a few days earlier though.

I'm going to the Tower of London on the 29th anyway so I'll be around if thats still on :)

Lord Jo gets a gold star for being both inclusive and organised. :) However, I was just adding some relevant info to the thread about a pub that was mentioned.

The last time I attended a bwb meet in London the entire group got up and left immediately after I discovered my handbag had been stolen without offering any assistance or informing me of where they had gone. That left me with no desire to attend any further bwb meets in London.

Hugs and kisses to Jo though. :love:

I'm sorry you had your bag stolen, I'm sure most people did not know your bag had been stolen until you posted about it after the event. I know I didn't, I know at the time you thought you had misplaced it as you came by once and asked if it was under the table I was at and we all looked around. I am sorry I assumed you had located it further down the group since your missing bag was never mentioned again. I'm sorry I never checked if you had found it.

I also did not realize anyone had been left behind in the group move downstairs.

Archived