How many bannermen can the North and Riverlands rally?

Madhur Singh

So I'm still in the middle of the book and was wondering how many could they rally in the event of a war. The Lannisters had somewhere around 60,000 and the Tyrell's had close to 80,000 and the Martell's had around 50,000.

I know Robb came down with 20,000 and the Riverlands has close to that amount, but is it possible that they can each rally more? It seems that in any war they would be at a huge numerical disadvantage.

depends what kind of war, look at the Ironborn who cannot have that many men, but still cause havoc as they are rough, tough and well-versed in the art of fighting. They get the whole North (although can't keep it) by focusing on key targets (Deepwood Motte, Moat Caitlin and Winterfell) with only a small band of men.

On a full-scale pitch battle, medieval-style, numbers probably count more. But for a total war mixing raiding, naval battles, guerilla-warfare (as Dorne resisted the Targaryens), etc then numbers are not the whole story.

Another thread somewhere else has discussed the numbers in greater detail, you can do a search and find it.

depends what kind of war, look at the Ironborn who cannot have that many men, but still cause havoc as they are rough, tough and well-versed in the art of fighting. They get the whole North (although can't keep it) by focusing on key targets (Deepwood Motte, Moat Caitlin and Winterfell) with only a small band of men.

On a full-scale pitch battle, medieval-style, numbers probably count more. But for a total war mixing raiding, naval battles, guerilla-warfare (as Dorne resisted the Targaryens), etc then numbers are not the whole story.

Another thread somewhere else has discussed the numbers in greater detail, you can do a search and find it.

Do you happen to know the title of the thread? I looked for it but can't seem to find any. I just want to know how many bannermen if possible they can raise

Dorne is considered to be the region with the smallest population, so go from there.

Is it? I would have thought the Iron Islands have the smallest population. Actually Dragonstone probably has the smallest (I know it's not one of the 7 Kingdoms but since it is Stannis' base, it does count now)

Manderly's left most of their men to defend their shores and Crannogmen and their banner-men were asked to hold the neck. I'm not sure if the mountain clans like Liddle etc. joined in or not. Most likely not. We know mostly about the noble and masterly houses that joined. Then there's men for the 50 warships. Skagos didn't join.

So I'd say maybe 20K more? It's such a big region and it'll be very hard to gather all their strength from faraway scattered villages.

Archived