Stannis' offer

WakeTheDragon

Jon would have became Lord of Winterfell and warden of the North but he would have had to give up his Gods and his family's right to Kingship.

He made the right choice by not taking the offer. He couldn't burn the Godswood, that wouldn't be right

I don't recall taking The Lord of Light and burning the Godswood being conditions of their arrangement but maybe I missed something.

I don't recall taking The Lord of Light and burning the Godswood being conditions of their arrangement but maybe I missed something.

They weren't. Melisandre suggests that he take up the Lord of Light, but Stannis says nothing about it. He only demands that Jon kneel and swear to serve him. Why Jon thought that Melisandre's suggestion was a requirement eludes me

They weren't. Melisandre suggests that he take up the Lord of Light, but Stannis says nothing about it. He only demands that Jon kneel and swear to serve him. Why Jon thought that Melisandre's suggestion was a requirement eludes me

Ok that's how I understood it. Thanks for clearing that up. It's one of the most interesting "could have beens" in the story so far. Jon Stark would be pretty bad ass.

Not to be "that guy" but as soon as Stannis made Jon an offer he couldn't refuse, I saw right where GRRM was headed w/ Lord Snow. It didn't change the experience from being anything less than a completely entertaining read though. I do kinda hope Stannis does give him leave to take the Stark name in book 4. Jon has earned that and then some.

• 2 months later...

What would have happened if Jon had taken up Stannis' offer to legitimize him and give him the North? Do you think Jon should have taken it? Discuss.

Odd offer really since Stannis didn't have the north to give to Jon,

ETA removed some spoilerific stuff

• 5 months later...

Jon would have became Lord of Winterfell and warden of the North but he would have had to give up his Gods and his family's right to Kingship.

He made the right choice by not taking the offer. He couldn't burn the Godswood, that wouldn't be right

I agree Jon made the right choice. Winterfell/Godswoods belong to the old gods and to the Starks. A gift should not come with a price especially a heavy price of burning the weirwood trees and denying the gods your ancestors believed in for generations. The offer was something Stannis did not want to give, but needed a Stark in Winterfell and needed the North to his cause and a Stark to rally them, but the offer was indeed odd especially marrying Jon to Val. If he took it, he would be disgracing his "father" as he believed heavily in the old Gods. Overall, he made the right decision and was not bound by a pact he could not negotiate with. As LC, he has more power to command things and help then he ever would have under Stannis' thumb.

Archived