The Summer Islands are BIG!

Ser Lepus

• 2 weeks later...

In the real world, an awful lot of luxury items are produced in warm climates: cotton, coffee, sugar, chocolate, mahogany, ivory, saffron and other spices - there's a famous article called "Southernization" by Linda Schaffer about how the demand for these items spread cultural influences from Southeast Asia surprisingly far across the world. We can expect that the Summer Isles are major producers of luxury goods as well, because of the fact that they're well-known traders and sailors throughout the world despite being way the fuck in the middle of nowhere. Sailing such long distances just wouldn't be profitable unless you're carrying very, very expensive goods that are highly in demand.

I'd expect the Summer Isles to be very wealthy compared to Westeros, with prosperous market economies, although possibly not military powerhouses, since their distance from the rest of the world probably means they don't need to worry much about defense and aren't likely to be interested in conquest. War's bad for trade, anyway. And they can probably afford to buy mercenaries from Essos if they really need to buff up their armies.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, from what we've heard about the Summer Isles, there's a lot of them and it's a relatively large archipelago, like Indonesia or the Phillippines. This doesn't mean, however-as many PPs have noted-that they're inherently prosperous. And the interconnectivity between the various islands might be very little, given any number of factors.

There's enough political strife within the SIs and connections between at least some of the Isles and the rest of the world that Jalabhar Xho (sic?) went to King's Landing to try and raise an army, instead of western Essos.

They look the shape of the Bahamas. What type of animals are there?

Bahamian wildlife on land consists of wild pigs (non-native), rodents called hutias, iguanas, non-venomous snakes, and lots and lots of birds.

I think the Summer Islands would have a more diverse ecology, being larger.

It's a little bit off-topic but here we discuss Summer Islands, so... :rolleyes:

I wonder if Summer Islanders are originally from Yeen, Gogossos, Zamettar and Gorosh. We don't know how these cities are turned to ruins but maybe some of the citizens escaped and sailed to west, then found these islands and settled there ?

That would be cool...

It's a little bit off-topic but here we discuss Summer Islands, so... :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if Summer Islanders are originally from Yeen, Gogossos, Zamettar and Gorosh. We don't know how these cities are turned to ruins but maybe some of the citizens escaped and sailed to west, then found these islands and settled there ?

That would be cool...

That could indeed be the case. It's close enough for the corsair king to raid Tall Trees Town, and the only inhabitant from Sothoryos we know of, Barristan's apprentice Tumco Lho, seems to share a naming pattern with known summer islanders, such as Quhuru Mo and Jalabhar Xho. They also seem to share a skin tone. Maybe the Summer Islands didn't come exactly from the ruined cities of the northern tip of Sothoryos, but from other places of the continent. Nice hypothesis, haven't considered it before.

• 5 months later...

Crackpot: Jalabar Xho isn't really an exiled prince. he's learning about the 7K and relaying information back in preparation for the Summer Island invasion. by the end of the series all of Westeros will be under their control with both Others and Dragons dead.

Crackpot: Jalabar Xho isn't really an exiled prince. he's learning about the 7K and relaying information back in preparation for the Summer Island invasion. by the end of the series all of Westeros will be under their control with both Others and Dragons dead.

I'd support this. First, Westeros. Next, the world. It's a scheme hundreds of years in the making. The Summer Islanders give the impression they are a chill and peaceful people, when in actuality, they are waiting for Westeros to destroy itself in order to dominate it.

Wait, this map is canon?

Even compared to Lands?

It seems to be based directly of Lands, so I'd say its canon.

• 7 months later...

I wonder if Summer Islanders are originally from Yeen, Gogossos, Zamettar and Gorosh. We don't know how these cities are turned to ruins but maybe some of the citizens escaped and sailed to west, then found these islands and settled there ?

That would be cool...

While I do think it's very possible that the people of the Summer Islands came from Sothoryos, i'd like to imagine all those ruined cities in northern Sothoryos be failed Ghis or Valyrian settlements. Would make sense, since they were obsessed with expansionism and since they weren't familar with the climate - would explain why they failed.

Absolutely none, I think. I don't even think he's been mentioned since book 3 or so.

He's probably dead or hightailed it out of King's Landing by now. hhaha

IIRC he's in prison in KL, because he's one of Margaery's "suitors"

IIRC he's in prison in KL, because he's one of Margaery's "suitors"

He is, and he's under Qyburn's care... I can only attempt to imagine the horrors bestowed upon him, an exotic guinea pig should excite Qyburnstein.

Also, am I the only one unconvinced he is even a prince? I like the idea of him arriving in Westeros and convincing everybody he's a fallen prince of the Summer Islands, living lavishly on their charity.

Archived