Sandor's return.

Draxus

Sandor should just go to the Wall, he be a good asset and the Wall clearly need more people. I don't like the Idea of Sandor VS Ungregor. I do see Sandor going to Sansa once she's out in the open. Sandor, Sansa and Blackfish would be a good chapter.

The ultimate irony... Sandor goes to the Wall where it is icy and cold, away from all the fire. Then the wights come they have to set everything on fire. I wonder if he would see the funny side of it...

Actually that's a good point made earlier - Sandor is kind of defined by his brother burning his face. My theory was that since frankengregor is undoubtedly undead, then fire is his big weakness. I thought that Thoros would get killed and drop his flaming sword in a battle involving Robert Strong, so if Sandor picked up that sword and used it to kill frankengregor by stabbing it into the hollow in his helm that would be a very ironic way to dispatch him.

Also I noticed everyone seems to think Sandor HAS to have a straightforward "redemption" arc. I don't think this is true, it seems something of an assumption about the character, as if he's alive we're only going on the words of a third party. Also even then I agree that killing what's left of his brother doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing for the character. It's all about Sandor and how he feels about it, which we won't know until his story concludes. My argument is that if he were to kill Gregor beforehand, he would be doing so out of pure hatred, and would never be at peace. If he kills what is essentially an abomination which used to be his brother in order to protect someone he cares for, this is an entirely noble thing to do. That would be the actions of a true knight.

I'm still hoping that he turns up at the Cale with Elder Brother (that whole bit about EB being able to heal sicknesses even Maesters can't could be setting him up to be called upon to treat SR). He may even take a few of the Brothers with him.

It would also fit with Sandor being the person to tell Sansa that it was LF who held the knife to her father's throat in the throne room (also possible he knows from Joff's bragging that LF persuaded him to behead Ned). Also I do like the fact that Sandor's main killing MO is a vertical blow and that is the same scar (slash cut here mark) that LF has on his chest. My nothing like opening old wounds? :)

I like the redemption before revenge thing with Sandor. The Hound was born when Gregor burned Sandor's face and died when Oberyn poisoned Gregor. The Hound lived for revenge. Sandor Clegane can live for something else. Maybe for the love of Lady Sansa. :drool:

But yes, putting UnGreg out of his misery will probably complete the redemption arc. Saving the man whom you hate so much, you desire nothing but his death is the kind of thing that can redeem. Very Jesus-y.

On a side note, I think that there's a bit of Gregor's true soul still trapped inside that hulking monster he's become. Maybe at the end, corny though it may sound, from Robert Strong's body will arise Gregor's shade and give Sandor a brotherly hug.

Sandor won't be coming back. "The Hound" is dead and his brother is dead. Whatever Robert Strong is it isn't Gregor. It may be his dead body that's being used for it's massive frame but it isn't him and I can't see Sandor considering any of these developments to be any of his business. BTW I Imagine Ser Robert Strong is the body of the Mountain and beneath the visor is King Robert's decayed head sewn onto it. i don't know why but it was the first thing I thought.

Actually that's a good point made earlier - Sandor is kind of defined by his brother burning his face. My theory was that since frankengregor is undoubtedly undead, then fire is his big weakness.

I don't think that all undead are as flammable as wights beyond the Wall, else Beric's choice of weapon would be...well lets say unwise.

I posted this awhile back so I'll just repost it :)

I also believe Sandor and Gregor will have their final battle. But, it won't be fueled by revenge on Sandor's part. You see, he's given that up - moved past it. I actually think Sandor will confront his brother to deliver the realm from the monster Gregor's become and/or out of a desire to free his brother from his undeath. I think Sandor will see it as a sort of duty because, just as he was the only one who could stand against his brother when he was alive, he'll feel he's the only one who can do it now. The only question I have is how's Martin going to have Sandor find out about Robert Strong?

I think it's going to happen along these lines.

The Hound is dead.

The gravedigger on the Quiet Isle IMO was created for fans to be able to believe that Sandor may or may not be alive.

I think it will be left as it is, ambiguous enough for fans to draw their own conclusions.

As it stands now if he is alive and on the QI, Sandor's story is complete.

His bro is dead, and he's found peace.

This is currently my favourite crackpot theory.

I think that firstly Sandor will definitely not face RS in the trial by combat. I think that the church will likely put either Lancel or that other big angry fellow who's had too much screen time already forward, and I think RS will crush them utterly. After that I think Cersei will cling onto power and after Sansa turns back up will send RS after her in a rage.

Secondly I think that Jaime and Brienne will survive unCat's wrath and the Brotherhood Without Banners will ride out with them in force to Sansa's aid - putting his life on the line to save Sansa would prove Jaime's sincerity to unCat. I think that there will be a clash somewhere between The Vale and Harrenhall where Sansa is ambushed by a force led by Robert Strong and the BwB come to her aid.

I also think Sandor is alive, and if you hadn't noticed, in the area. I think Brienne will have inherited the Hound's helmet from Lem to cover her disfigured face, then Brienne and Jaime will end up in a standoff with RS, in which Brienne will be killed and the hound's helmet torn from her head. I also think Brienne's death will be the trigger that makes Jaime become the "valonquar" but that's another story ;)

At this point, I think Sandor will re-emerge to save Sansa, taking up his old helmet and finally facing off against what is left of his brother. I suspect Thoros of Myr will also be killed in this battle and Sandor will pick up his flaming sword.. this being the only thing that can easily kill the undead. That would also hark back to why Sandor was apparently spared the wrath of R'hllor - the BwB seemed to think he had been chosen for something as a result of his trial by combat with Beric.

I highly suspect that Sandor will not survive this battle despite his victory, and there'll be a brief, tearful reunion with Sansa where she finally gets her knight before he passes away. I reckon her new husband-to-be will have got iced in this battle too and she'll run off with none other than Gendry (yeah ok got a little crackpot on that one, but think about it).

Anyway, that's what I reckon will happen. A lot of people say "ooh Sandor's changed, he can't kill his brother now" but let's face it, his entire storyline and all of Gregor's atrocities have been leading up to a proper epic standoff, no fantasy author worth his salt wouldn't let that shit go down. Also it could be argued that it's ironic, being that when he finally gets to dispatch his brother it's not because of hatred, but to protect someone he cares about, thus completing his arc as a character. I think people are mistaking the idea of him having a redemption arc as being about who he kills, where in reality it should be about who he saves.

Interesting read and I like several of your points.

If the Mountain does go after Sansa, I want her to have some part in slaying him to fulfill the Ghost of Highheart's prophecy of Sansa slaying a savage giant in a castle made of snow. It could be Robin's doll or it could still be more.

I posted this awhile back so I'll just repost it :)

I also believe Sandor and Gregor will have their final battle. But, it won't be fueled by revenge on Sandor's part. You see, he's given that up - moved past it. I actually think Sandor will confront his brother to deliver the realm from the monster Gregor's become and/or out of a desire to free his brother from his undeath. I think Sandor will see it as a sort of duty because, just as he was the only one who could stand against his brother when he was alive, he'll feel he's the only one who can do it now. The only question I have is how's Martin going to have Sandor find out about Robert Strong?

I think it's going to happen along these lines.

I said Sandor and Gregor several times aloud and now both names sound strange. Am I broken?

Actually that's a good point made earlier - Sandor is kind of defined by his brother burning his face. My theory was that since frankengregor is undoubtedly undead, then fire is his big weakness. I thought that Thoros would get killed and drop his flaming sword in a battle involving Robert Strong, so if Sandor picked up that sword and used it to kill frankengregor by stabbing it into the hollow in his helm that would be a very ironic way to dispatch him.

Also I noticed everyone seems to think Sandor HAS to have a straightforward "redemption" arc. I don't think this is true, it seems something of an assumption about the character, as if he's alive we're only going on the words of a third party. Also even then I agree that killing what's left of his brother doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing for the character. It's all about Sandor and how he feels about it, which we won't know until his story concludes. My argument is that if he were to kill Gregor beforehand, he would be doing so out of pure hatred, and would never be at peace. If he kills what is essentially an abomination which used to be his brother in order to protect someone he cares for, this is an entirely noble thing to do. That would be the actions of a true knight.

Good point. I was thinking that if Sandor fought unGregor then it would bring all his anger,etc back but the way you say it sounds like it wouldn't. That I would be fine with, :)

I like the redemption before revenge thing with Sandor. The Hound was born when Gregor burned Sandor's face and died when Oberyn poisoned Gregor. The Hound lived for revenge. Sandor Clegane can live for something else. Maybe for the love of Lady Sansa. :drool:

But yes, putting UnGreg out of his misery will probably complete the redemption arc. Saving the man whom you hate so much, you desire nothing but his death is the kind of thing that can redeem. Very Jesus-y.

On a side note, I think that there's a bit of Gregor's true soul still trapped inside that hulking monster he's become. Maybe at the end, corny though it may sound, from Robert Strong's body will arise Gregor's shade and give Sandor a brotherly hug.

:agree:

I think Sandor and Gregor will have their final battle one day - but not at the trial. Mainly because Cersei's life is at stake, and her champion will squash whoever the opponent is. Lancel is most likely, but not the only possibility. Cersei is too important a character to got out like that - her reckoning is coming, but far later, I imagine.

Archived