Why the Oberyn love?

Jaime's Wench

You'll have to forgive me, because ASOS Part II is currently plugged into my mum's sound system over at the pub, but...

Why do we all love ourselves a bit of Oberyn?

Recently on the Games forums and elsewhere in the discussions, I've noticed just how many of us love this free-thinking, rash and charismatic Dornishman. As a writer, I am very intrigued by how much of a favourite he is. He appears in maybe four or five chapters across a mahooosive series, yet he's one of the most memorable. I think GRRM did a fab job in writing his bittersweet appearance in ASOS - he proved that you do not have to make characters go on huge journeys and development arcs to make them complex and loveable.

The first reason I love Oberyn is that he was an absolute breath of fresh air for me after the Red Wedding, with his free-thinking, free-loving attitude and his fresh take on the events in Kings Landing. His witty story about how he saw Tyrion as a baby was a great introduction to the type of man he was.

The second is, obviously, his duel with The Mountain. I was truly gutted when he died. More gutted than when Catelyn or Ygritte died - two of my series faves! I think the way he approached the fight, his reasons for it, and the way it tied into Tyrion's plight was just perfect. And we continue to love him for many chapters afterward, as Gregor drones on in agony...

So, why do you love Obeyn? Or do you in fact believe he is overrated?

Apologies if this has already been discussed recently (though I don't think it has?)

And wow - I went a whole thread without mentioning Jaime (except I just have, mwuahaha)

Personally I think he is one of the more likable characters but that he's also a fool. He was so consumed by his desire for revenge that he got himself killed and potentially caused all sorts of problems for his family.

This is true! You see it already with the imprisonment of the Sand Snakes and the Queenmaking plot. He really could have opened up a can of worms for them since they can no longer stay out of the Westerosi conflict. It would be wonderful if GRRM could turn it around - perhaps through Arianne show some reflections of how he wasn't necessarily the hero.

People love him because he didn't live long enough to become a villain.

Lol. Too true.

Hey, it's wish fulfillment. Doesn't everybody really want to be totally free, to not really give a good rat's ass about what society thinks? We can't, of course, but it's liberating just to imagine.

Even his death was glorious in its own way. Making the ultimate sacrifice for vengeance. Except for that Seven-dammned Qyburn reviving Gregor.

Or do you in fact believe he is overrated?
Yes.

He is a moustache twirling Inigo Montoya knock off, a crude plot device, with as much depth as a David Eddings support character. Some people like him because they love anything that's "badass".

Yes.

He is a moustache twirling Inigo Montoya knock off, a crude plot device, with as much depth as a David Eddings support character. Some people like him because they love anything that's "badass".

This is true. He isn't up there with Jaime and Tyrion on my faves list. I appreciate that he was a plot device first and foremost. But then so was Ned...

Archived