Why the Oberyn love?

Jaime's Wench

I have to agree with everyone else who said they weren't moved one way, or the other over him.

We actually don't know how he treated the Mothers of his Daughters, and do we know truly what went down between him and Willis Tyrell? (not that the Tyrells are my favorite either- as Dontos said just Lannisters with Flowers).

And if doing what you want is a criteria for "fabulousness," there are plenty of characters who have the same attitudes, but are hated, Lyanna and Arya by some, and Brandon Stark (Neds Brother), by most.

As far as the "liberation" of Dornish women, as opposed to the highborn Martell women, I'll need more information, as well as the bastard status amongst those not Martell.

But, the Viper has competition

:

His passion for avenging his sister and he was willing to fearlessly go against the Mountain to kill the man that brutally raped and murdered her and her children. I think that's why his death was so devastating to me. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I wanted him to win (the typical David vs. Goliath story) and Elia and her children did not deserve a death so cruel. I believe Tyrion surviving was another factor.

I greatly enjoyed his character and wished we could see more of him.

• 2 months later...

Because he's a major masculine man who has no qualms bedding men as well as women, he cares for his bastard children unlike a lot of Westerosi lords. Nothing's better than a masculine, queer, POC who's out to avenge his sister's death and rape and whom also managed to slay the Mountain. NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THAT.

And if doing what you want is a criteria for "fabulousness," there are plenty of characters who have the same attitudes, but are hated, Lyanna and Arya by some, and Brandon Stark (Neds Brother), by most

Lyanna and Arya are hated? But... they're awsome!

I have to agree with everyone else who said they weren't moved one way, or the other over him.

We actually don't know how he treated the Mothers of his Daughters, and do we know truly what went down between him and Willis Tyrell? (not that the Tyrells are my favorite either- as Dontos said just Lannisters with Flowers).

And if doing what you want is a criteria for "fabulousness," there are plenty of characters who have the same attitudes, but are hated, Lyanna and Arya by some, and Brandon Stark (Neds Brother), by most.

As far as the "liberation" of Dornish women, as opposed to the highborn Martell women, I'll need more information, as well as the bastard status amongst those not Martell.

But, the Viper has competition

:

Willas even admitted that what happened was his own fault. Him and Oberyn are friends and have stayed in constant contact ever since he was crippled because of their love for breeding horses and other animals.

Willas even admitted that what happened was his own fault. Him and Oberyn are friends and have stayed in constant contact ever since he was crippled because of their love for breeding horses and other animals.

Did he admit it was his fault, or just that it was an accident and no hard feelings?

His passion for avenging his sister and he was willing to fearlessly go against the Mountain to kill the man that brutally raped and murdered her and her children. I think that's why his death was so devastating to me. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I wanted him to win (the typical David vs. Goliath story) and Elia and her children did not deserve a death so cruel. I believe Tyrion surviving was another factor.

I greatly enjoyed his character and wished we could see more of him.

This, extremely. Having a sister I totally identified with his passion in avenging Elia's brutal murder, and that of her kid/s (hi Aegon). His attitude was that of a non-conformist and we all love a rebel.

Lyanna and Arya are hated? But... they're awsome!

Some people hate them, not all.

But, many of the same people who like the Viper dislike the likes of Arya, Lyanna and Brandon Sr., because they claim they're "reckless."

Brandon also rode to the aid of his Sister, but he gets reviled for it, when I would say riding against the Mountain armed with only poison is pretty reckless, because theres no guarentee that that kills the Mountain given he seems to have the constitution of something out of Resident Evil.

Unless your going against the Mountain with something akin to a rocket launcher, don't show up.

Oberyn is more bells, whistles, and bravado rather than effective.

Some people hate them, not all.

But, many of the same people who like the Viper dislike the likes of Arya, Lyanna and Brandon Sr., because they claim they're "reckless."

Brandon also rode to the aid of his Sister, but he gets reviled for it, when I would say riding against the Mountain armed with only poison is pretty reckless, because theres no guarentee that that kills the Mountain given he seems to have the constitution of something out of Resident Evil.

Unless your going against the Mountain with something akin to a rocket launcher, don't show up.

Oberyn is more bells, whistles, and bravado rather than effective.

I think OM was more measured in his recklessness than Brandon, though. Not sure either are a reason to like or hate, but I think him biding his time and taking the opportunity when it presented itself is different than riding into KL demanding royal death. I see whar you are saying...both involve risk, to a serious degree, but the kind Martell chose is the kind warriors choose with regularity. Expecting to take on a dynasty single-handedly is another proposition entirely. And you can't say he wasn't effective. He did kill the Mountain, and but for another objective, he does it without much cost.

He is the only one who tried to avenge Elia and her children.. And succeeded.. That made me love him without hesitation. And when we first met him, he started talking about past, about young Tywin and child Cersei, he brought history with him and started talking about it immediately.. He was the first big deal man from Dorne we know, and he made hell of a presentation..

King Aemon I makes a good point. He did make a hell of a presentation. Dorne has always been the odd duck, I think, and he represents that well and beyond expectation. In my native language we have a saying that means something like throwing a bombshell. You do it (the throwing) when some things are very obviously there and not being spoken about. It takes guts to do it, and I think Oberyn did it with an effortless grace.

Pity he did not make it out of the trial alive. I would have liked to have him around a bit longer.

Edit: sorry, grammar

Archived