Season 3 Filming Wraps This Weekend

Westeros

According to a report from Icelandic news site Visir, it looks like Game of Thrones filming will wrap on the 24th or 25th. That’ll be 138 or 139 days—four and a half months—since production started. And much of it at a dead run, with at least two units, and sometimes three, working in four different locations across that time span.

So, the last few days of the production are happening right now. And according to Cat Talor, today’s a “BIG day”. Hrm… !

Visit the Site!

The sheer magnitude of this production amazes me. There are a lot of feature films that only film in a couple locations, but to have four separate production teams running in different countries is ridiculous. I just hope they have enough time post-production to make SFX work because they will need a lot of it thiis season.

I wonder what the "BIG day" refers to. Since they are filming in Iceland now, I would guess that maybe they're doing the Giants and mammoths (it will be curious what route they go with for them). I suppose it could also refer to a major scene (possibly the Battle at the Fist or maybe Jon and Ygritte's cave scene).

Not convinced that they'll be showing much of any of the Battle of the Fist. Like the books, I think the fighting itself will be skipped and we'll be checking in with Sam and the NW during their retreat with maybe a few shots of the chaos.

Highly doubt they'd do that, especially after teasing it at the end of season 2. Don't think they'd have fans wait a year for such an epic battle only to skip over it and show the aftermath.

This battle is one of the most visual and breathtaking of the story, they definitly gotta include it !

I am so eager to see it, through the falling snow, barely distinguishing the fires burning here and there and the blue eyes in the dark...

Not convinced that they'll be showing much of any of the Battle of the Fist. Like the books, I think the fighting itself will be skipped and we'll be checking in with Sam and the NW during their retreat with maybe a few shots of the chaos.

This battle is one of the most visual and breathtaking of the story, they definitly gotta include it !

I am so eager to see it, through the falling snow, barely distinguishing the fires burning here and there and the blue eyes in the dark...

Well, the Old bear himself

there will be an amazing/badass scene the first episode this season, I'm hoping we'll get to see the actual fight and not just some aftermath

They might show some of it but I'm sure that it won't be anywhere near the scale that some here think it will be. To this point, the show has essentially only showed one battle of any magnitude and that was Blackwater which was a special case that they went and asked for a larger budget for so they could film it. Any other conflict on the show has been seriously abridged and/or omitted completely.

Remember that we will probably be seeing this from Sam's POV (there's not really anyone else important enough to stay with among that group at the Fist) and at the end of S2, Sam is not on the Fist, the wights are marching past him to attack. I think we'll be sticking with him. So maybe he'll try to sneak back and he'll catch a glimpse of some carnage but the bigger plot point is him escaping in the snow with the remnants of the NW and he'll encounter the White Walker which he'll stab with the obsidian.

It would be nice if they showed something of it but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Going by the history of this production, it will more about the aftermath than the battle itself.

Remember that we will probably be seeing this from Sam's POV (there's not really anyone else important enough to stay with among that group at the Fist).

Mormont? They could show Edd and Grenn reach base camp and some of the battle. Or at least the beginning of it. Initial horror etc.

Admittedly, I would have supposed we wouldn't anything but the retreat but Cosmo's comments does suggest we could see something more.

Well, the Old bear himself

there will be an amazing/badass scene the first episode this season, I'm hoping we'll get to see the actual fight and not just some aftermath

That could easily be "the slayer" scene rather than a major battle. The slayer scene is pretty badass and will have fans feeling all sorts of awesome for the character concerned, and it happens on the page. Whereas the actual battle of the Fist happens off the page. Everyone wants to see the slayer scene for sure. I'm not sure everyone wants to see the ballte of the Fist. I don't particularly feel there is much need to see that battle for the season to work.

Well for me there is !

This is the only battle in the entire saga that I really need to see, it is the most visual, the most thrilling one... one of the best moments in the entire story !

True. It's the only hint of the future. How will (if they will) people survive when the wall (hopefully) falls, and the others and the wights come roaming to the south.

Here are the things I think will be in this season up north.

1. Lord Mormont

2. Ygritte and Jon getting busy.

3. Fist of the First Men

4. Cold Hands .. .

The Wall Battle will have to be in Season 4 . . . just too expensive to do it this season, but if they pull it off wow!!

Here are the things I think will be in this season up north.

1. Lord Mormont

2. Ygritte and Jon getting busy.

3. Fist of the First Men

4. Cold Hands .. .

The Wall Battle will have to be in Season 4 . . . just too expensive to do it this season, but if they pull it off wow!!

Even if they could pull it off, there's not enough time. To that list of yours I'd add:

5. Wildlings climbing the wall

6. Battle of Castle Black

7. Ygritte's death

8 - Sam the Slayer and the NW running through the Haunted Forest.

9 - The Mutiny at Craster (which can be an amazing scene !).

10 - Some development of Gilly and Sam's relationship alongside Coldhands.

Maybe ending Sam's storyline with his encounter with Bran... Yeah, that 'd be a perfect timing for ending season 3 :

- Jon back at the Wall.

- Sam and Gilly meeting Bran and co.

Archived