Legendary Swords Reappearing?

kingowinter

I'd rather Widow's Wail would be reforged with Oathkeeper back into Ice.

I don't understand the Ice love to be honest. It's not an ancient Stark Sword (it is still old about 300-400 years). We never see anyone wield it awesomely in battle.

Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail are really good names that could be said to honour Ned and Catelyn respectively. Two Longswords are more practical than one greatsword. They can be worn all the time, used with a shield (or bravosi stilleto) and on horseback.

To reforge the sword would be too much of a cheesy fantasy moment, rather than keeping them as two separate blades to remember what House Stark went through. And if there ends up being a Cadet Branch of the Stark (Valestarks, Riverstarks, etc) one sword could go to them.

I could see Rickon with Oathkeeper and Arya with Widow's Wail.

I don't understand the Ice love to be honest. It's not an ancient Stark Sword (it is still old about 300-400 years). We never see anyone wield it awesomely in battle.

Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail are really good names that could be said to honour Ned and Catelyn respectively. Two Longswords are more practical than one greatsword. They can be worn all the time, used with a shield (or bravosi stilleto) and on horseback.

To reforge the sword would be too much of a cheesy fantasy moment, rather than keeping them as two separate blades to remember what House Stark went through. And if there ends up being a Cadet Branch of the Stark (Valestarks, Riverstarks, etc) one sword could go to them.

I could see Rickon with Oathkeeper and Arya with Widow's Wail.

I wouldn't call reforging the sword cheesy, but possibly a symbol of the Starks coming back together as one family like the two swords coming back together as Ice. As a greatsword,Ice could be wielded from horseback as well as a longsword. Whether a longsword or greatsword is better, it depends on who is wielding it. Randyll Tarly is good with the Valyrian greatsword Heartsbane.

Tywin melted down the sword when it wasn't his in the first place. That was just wrong.

I wouldn't call reforging the sword cheesy, but possibly a symbol of the Starks coming back together as one family like the two swords coming back together as Ice. As a greatsword,Ice could be wielded from horseback as well as a longsword. Whether a longsword or greatsword is better, it depends on who is wielding it. Randyll Tarly is good with the Valyrian greatsword Heartsbane.

Tywin melted down when the sword wasn't his in the first place. That was just wrong.

Each to his own I guess. While breaking the sword was wrong. I see it like the metaphorical breaking of the Starks. For the swords to return to them but stay separate would reflect how they've all had to change drastically to survive.

And all tat lannister crimson and rubys is far too garish for any stark lord, if they ever came into stark hands they would be reforged into one blade or two new ones.

Well yeah you change the hilt and maybe the scabbard. It's not that hard. Basically what happens to Longclaw.

Yeah but, this assumes Jon finds it, and then they find each other. At which point arya will be...13? At most?

I'm thinking a down the track sort of thing. Obviously a 5 (?) year old Rickon wouldn't be able to wield Oathkeeper.

Well yeah you change the hilt and maybe the scabbard. It's not that hard. Basically what happens to Longclaw.

I'm thinking a down the track sort of thing. Obviously a 5 (?) year old Rickon wouldn't be able to wield Oathkeeper.

Yes but, there is lannister crimson IN the steel now, that's motts speciality, and both now have whorles of red and smokey grey/black.

Red Sword of heroes?

Who knows.

Re Arya and Rickon look it would be nice but I just don't know where he's taking those two so I won't speculate. It woul just be a massive stretch for Arya to get that blade, ever.

Yes but, there is lannister crimson IN the steel now, that's motts speciality, and both now have whorles of red and smokey grey/black.

Red Sword of heroes?

Who knows.

Re Arya and Rickon look it would be nice but I just don't know where he's taking those two so I won't speculate. It woul just be a massive stretch for Arya to get that blade, ever.

It's not the Lannister crimson. They have the whole dialogue how it's dark red like blood and he can't change it. I still don't see it being a big problem. It's a distinctive sword now but doesn't scream Lannister.

I've said that's my ideal situation not what's likely to happen. But I think Arya's more likely to get WW than Dark Sister suddenly appearing as others have suggested.

Ice may not seem ancient but it is the most in-your-face sword in the book. It refers to the title of the series, it appears in chapter 1, and like the characters in the book its going on a journey - with Ned to Kings Landing, then used a sword of State to execute people, and reforged into two. Note that it's nature is changing from Ice to Fire (death to life) with the red emerging in the blades. Now one of the two swords has made its way to Stoneyheart's hideout, where there are a Baratheon bastard armourer's apprentice who worships the Fire God (and who is forging a sword when Brienne encounters him at the Crossroads Inn), a priest who can raise the dead and a woman raised from the dead bent on vengeance, soon to be joined by a Lannister Lion. I can't help thinking the two swords will end up reforged at some time, but clearly, anything can happen.

I can't remember...where the fuck IS WW? Tommen gave it to Loras, right? I don't see a reforge thang happening, Ice was BA and I desperately wanted to see someone like Sandor do stoopid amounts of damage with it in a proper battle, but Tywin shattered (!) those dreams and it's real sad and stuff. So it goes. I'm still holding out for Valyrian greatsword domination. Heartsbane, Brightroar, DAWN ("It was the sword, not the man").

Also, I'm hoping Vic gets his colossal mitts on that Valyrian great axe. He would do some damage with that puppy.

We don't even know where the sword is. It could be sitting right under her bed for all we know!

Well, at least Dark Sister could be sitting right under Maester Aemon's bed for all we know. In 233 AL, Brynden Rivers was part of Aemon Targaryen's "honor guard" when going to The Wall. On a 1000-league-journey, Aemon should have noticed wether Bloodraven was allowed to take the blade with him - he probably was, since swords don't disappear in a puff of smoke.

Aemon Targaryen may well have known the whereabouts of Dark Sister, and he might have told to his LC Jon Snow before leaving.

Eastwatch is about 1500 miles by ship from Braavos (app 10 days), so Arya might hear the news of Lord Snow's stabbing within weeks; she'd probably go to defend her beloved Jon immediately. That will bring Arya and Dark Sister already close together.

Let's face it, Needle won't do it forever:

...her legs were strong and springy and growing longer every day. She was glad of that. A water dancer needs good legs. Blind Beth was no water dancer, but she would not be Beth forever.

I think all the people seeing Arya of House Stark with Dark Sister are right! :fencing:

I don't care about Valyrian swords appearing, unless it's Blackfyre or Dark Sister.

No, the sword that just has to reappear is Dawn. Westeros needs another Sword of the Morning. We need Edric to become Arthur, we need a Dayne wielding Dawn.

Ice may not seem ancient but it is the most in-your-face sword in the book. It refers to the title of the series, it appears in chapter 1, and like the characters in the book its going on a journey - with Ned to Kings Landing, then used a sword of State to execute people, and reforged into two. Note that it's nature is changing from Ice to Fire (death to life) with the red emerging in the blades. Now one of the two swords has made its way to Stoneyheart's hideout, where there are a Baratheon bastard armourer's apprentice who worships the Fire God (and who is forging a sword when Brienne encounters him at the Crossroads Inn), a priest who can raise the dead and a woman raised from the dead bent on vengeance, soon to be joined by a Lannister Lion. I can't help thinking the two swords will end up reforged at some time, but clearly, anything can happen.

This, I like.

will new valyrian steel sword be made now that dragons are back and there has to be some blacksmiths in the east who know the spells.

There is also the forging techniques with the steel being folded over plenty of times. Without the techniques as wwell as the spells and dragonfire, the secret of Valyrian steel is lost.

I understand how dragonflame can aid in the making of this steel. Steel in the medieval period was usually impure and of poor quality as blacksmiths couldn't heat their furnaces up to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature needed to remove the slag from the metal. Dragonflame, described as melting knights's swords in their hands and melting knights' armor (ouch), is hot enough to separate the slag from steel, resulting in purer, higher quality steel.

Well, at least Dark Sister could be sitting right under Maester Aemon's bed for all we know. In 233 AL, Brynden Rivers was part of Aemon Targaryen's "honor guard" when going to The Wall. On a 1000-league-journey, Aemon should have noticed wether Bloodraven was allowed to take the blade with him - he probably was, since swords don't disappear in a puff of smoke.

He was sent there from the dungeons and I doubt he was allowed to take Dark Sister with him. My money is on Illyrio as it's current owner -- if he hunted down Blackfyre it's likely he would've tried to find Dark Sister as well.

Aemon Targaryen may well have known the whereabouts of Dark Sister, and he might have told to his LC Jon Snow before leaving.

Very, very unlikely. We would've heard about that if so.

so Arya might hear the news of Lord Snow's stabbing within weeks; she'd probably go to defend her beloved Jon immediately. That will bring Arya and Dark Sister already close together.

The day Arya hears about Jon's death isn't the day that she quits the FM but commits herself to them fully -- i.e. throwing needle in a canal and going full faceless.

Let's face it, Needle won't do it forever:

It certainly won't. Bring on Dark Sister!

Archived