Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

I never really liked Sam, but this book he accomplished so much and I really started to like him and then became fearful because so far all my favorite characters have been Starks and have been killed save for Jon and Arya (I like the other Starks, but not my favorite). I am just hoping GRRM is not setting Sam up to rise and then fall.

Jaime is a big one. In the previous books, he was vain, arrogant and a monster. In this book, he changes himself to be a good and just man with honor. Like saving Brienne multiple times from things like rape, a bear and Loras and refuses to leave the kingsguard for honor when Tywin wants to remove him and take him back to the rock. We also get more backstory between him and killing Aerys. I supported the fact he had to save 500000 people from a mad king who wants to destroy Kings Landing, though at the cost of honor, which Jaime would soon get back

• 1 month later...

Jaime, and Brienne. I did not care for her at all. Now I am a fan-girl.

Jaime because we finally met him, rather than hear everyone's opinion of him. I am still struggling with that little shove out the window, though.

I am watching Sansa carefully. I thought she had a line on Little Finger. Sometimes she acts as if she doesn't. Or she may be acting for him and all of us.

Omitting Jaime, because getting you to like him and making you cry are the two main purposes of ASOS as far as I can tell.

I never really disliked Sandor, but man his appearances in the later Arya chapters are pretty great. Hope he's not dead.

Littlefinger was basically just a background character slathered in foreshadowing until various revelations on the Fingers and in the Eyrie. Sansa's last chapter made me love the character, which on further examination probably says some troubling things about me. Man, I cringed when he got married though.

Bran and the Reeds finally started getting to be interesting in and of themselves, rather than just being an excuse for some world-building (which I enjoyed, but still.)

I agree with lots of people's comments that Jon's chapters started getting good primarily because we get to see the wildling society up close for the first time. As a characater, I'm still not hugely sold on him.

Tywin's later chapters (especially involving Jaime) made me dislike him - I understood his dislike for Tyrion for political reasons, but he really becomes more controlling of his children than is prudent.

Daenerys is still interesting; she makes some mistakes but her PoV at least establishes that she's aware of them, and that she doesn't always know what she's doing (unlike certain a certain other female character in a position of power). Watching what I assume will eventually become her royal court form up around her is fun; Team Daenerys has lots of great characters new in general.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of people changed their mind about him, but I still don't like Jaime. I don't know, I just don't buy the "I'm actually a misunderstood hero" act. I have to admit though, his chapters were quite good, even entertaining sometimes.

I've grown to really like Sansa. Her last chapter was SO GOOD!

Although I'm team Daenerys for life, she was sort of annoying towards the end of ASOS with her know-it-all attitude, but at least she's aware of the fact that she has made mistakes and wants to become a better ruler/leader. Despite that, she doesn't seem the kind of person to accept any form of criticism towards her, which is not really ok.

Never really liked the Hound, but I enjoyed his interraction with Arya. They hated each other, but they worked as a team when they had to. I thought that was cute.

Jaimie Lannister , first of all , from a man i didn't like at all in the 1st book , he turned out shortly after his night with Catelyne and the wine to be my favorite character! His actions at the 3rd book made me like him , more and more.

On the other hand i lost interest in Theon who i thought was very interesting in Clash of Kings.

Plus , i changed my mind about Stannis and now i'm on his said ^_^ He is the rightful king after all! (Tommen is a good lad btw don't get me wrong)

I like the change of Jaime really much because he's not so black-and-white person now. He and Brienne were awesome together.

Sam's change was also great, he finally learned how to be cool (and how to do some funny intrigues).

Jaime, which goes without saying. SUCH a good character arc.

Sansa. I liked her character in the first two books, but the last chapter of ASOS she just stood out to me and seemed to come into her own.

Jon for me too. I found his chapters boring initially, but found myself enjoying his chapters the most in ASOS.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, Jaime of course. Because we get to see what's inside his head, we get to know how he feels about everything that has happened and why he actually did the actual kingslaying. I can forgive him killing Aerys, because the Mad King sounds like a really mad guy to me and sometimes I forget he shoved Bran out of a window, I just can forgive that. Even though, because he did that he made Bran to the person he is now. And I think Jaime regrets it somewhere and his "good" actions can be a thing do make up for all the bad things he has done.

And Sansa became interesting, finally! After the first two books I became really annoyed seeing her name at the beginnen of a chapter. But now I think she's is very interesting. Of course that has to do with her being alongside Littlefinger, and that last chapter, but I like her a lot more, with the experiences she's been through. They're horrible, but made her who she is now, a more realistic person than the girl in aGoT where she was just all about songs and stuff.

For the rest, I liked Sam, however that changed a bit in AFfC. Jon became more likeable not talking about his being a bastard all the time and seeing the wildlings. And we got to see him as a badass guy.

Tyrion and Arya stayed awesome!

As for the new characters, I like Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand so much.

Note: I haven't finished ASOS yet:

Jaime: Before, I thought he was just Cersei with a cock. Now, I kind of like him, or at least respect him. We see his reasons for the things he does (I never had a problem with the Kingslaying, but I doubt I'll ever forgive pushing Bran off a window). The dynamic he had with Brienne was fun. his chapters prior to his arrival on King's Landing were BORING. but after that I really warmed to him. The journey with Brienne has changed him, he's a more honorable man now and tries to make ameds for his past deeds, what seems to be distancing him from Cersei.

Jon: His chapters were also boring prior to this book, but in ASOS he truly shines.

Bran: Also a previously boring character, he finally controls his warg powers, that's awesome. Also his companions Jojen, Meera and of course HODOR =)

Sansa: In GoT I hated her, she was boring, and then she betrayed her family to Queen C*nt and Prince Jack@ss. In ACoK I liked her a little more, and in this book she's a way better character.

Jorah: He was awesome. A great advisor to Dany, and her most loyal servant.. then he kissed her, and his character's the less for it. He was given the opportunity to be forgiven, he only had to beg, but instead the lovefool moron acted as if Dany OWED him an apology. that's no way to treat your queen/khaleesi.

Aemon: I already liked him, but now I really like him.

Arstan: I thought he was an odd squire with an interesting past before, but now.. on his way to my list of favorite characters.

Stannis and Davos: I already loved them from day one, but in this book they're at their best. My two favorite chaacters.

Sandor Clegane: I disliked him at first, just like all the other Joffrey servants (Ser Gregor, Illyn Payne, Janos Slynt..) but since ACoK and especially this book I kinda like him and I think he deserved a second chance.

Arya: I liked her in the first book, but I hated all her stupid adventures since her dad died. -except for the ghost in harrenhal, that was good- but now that she's free of the burden of trying to find her living relatives, she can finally start developing as a more interesting character.

Catelyn: Her chapters started decaying in quality after ACoK, but in this book I hated every single Catelyn chapter. The Red Wedding was actually a relief for me.

Robb: He was awesome in ACoK, but he had to threw it all away and marry the first pussy that found it's way into his bed, betraying the Freys, losing important allies, and finally getting his @ss murdered. It was dishonorable of him to break his promise to the Freys, and stupid to marry a girl he just knew only because of a misguided sense of duty, giving up all of the advantages of the Frey marriage. EDIT: I forgot: The execution of Rickard Karstark, that was unfair AND stupid.

Archived