Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

Jaime is the big winner in this book, although I started to almost like him  ztowars the the end of the 2nd book.

Stannis is a grower.  I hope he survives the whole series, and so hopefully Jaime will survive, too.  Hopefully, Brienne learned from him, that sometimes it is more noble to berak oaths than keep them... But that is featured in another book.

I like Daenerys less from ASOS onwards than before.

• 1 month later...

I am gonna go with Davos and Tyrion.

When I was introduced to Davos back in Clash of the Kings I didn't care much for him (after all he was a new character among familiar characters so it would take a while to get used to him) and found his chapters boring. It also felt like he was there to take the place of Ned Stark so that didn't make him stand out for me. But in Storm of Swords his chapters became a lot more interesting and he was fleshed out more as a character and I find him more likeable now (though he still feels a bit like Ned to me).

As far as Tyrion is concerned, I really liked him a lot in a Game of Thrones and he was again decent in a Clash of Kings, but in a Storm of Swords my feelings towards him have turned lukewarm and towards dislike. That first happened around his wedding with Sansa, although he didn't do anything bad to her (and didn't have enough time anyway), I wasn't fond of his attraction to her and of all the validation she could offer him. The other incident was telling Jaime he killed Joffrey (I assume to hurt him) and then killing his father and Shae. I didn't like either of those characters, but Tyrion really went out of his way for his father (Shae died most likely cause she was in the way). It's just sad whenever a decent or at least a morally grey character commits such atrocities.

• 5 months later...

All about Jaime & Davos have been said above. 

I would add Mance Rayder. ASOS made me realize the gap between the show's Mance and the book's. In the show, he is a savage warrior, mostly a barbarian. In this book, he is a genius. We encounters him through this cool wildling's camp scene, where we firstly see him as a poet, singing with his harp. Then there is this meeting at the Fist, where he begins to be not so cool with Jon. When we find him again, near the end of the book, he seems shared between his role as a war leader, and his role as a father/husband. And he shows this great warhorn to Jon... (presumably the Horn of Winter ?) that's brilliant. So, yeah, I liked Mance.

Jon, himself, was better in ASOS than in previous books in my opinion. To be honest, I found his ACOK's chapters a bit boring, wandering in the snow... Here, there is an internal conflct within him : being a wildling or a brother of the Night's Watch ? Then, it evolves to : being a brother of the Night's Watch or being the lord of Winterfell ? The journey of Jon was awesome.

Jaime Lannister- one of the best grey characters or anti heroes in the series. 

Stannis Baratheon- Only near the end,where he saved the night's watch (and the good old roasting of janos slynt) did he prove to me that he's a different king than the rest, he actually cares about the realm.

Bran's story is still boring to me, Dany had some pretty good chapters in the beginning with the unsullied and Astapor, better than her boring ones in AGOT and ACOK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/24/2012 at 7:22 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

So, are there any characters you hated in books one and/or two but then changed your mind about in book three? Or vice versa, was there a character you liked but by the end of book three didn't care for as much?

The big one that stands out for me is Jaime Lannister. I hated him all through books 1 and 2 and then GRRM had to go and make him a complex and round character. Not only saving Brienne form rape and death, but giving her the sword Tywin made from Ice, making her call it Oathkeeper, and basically trying to do some right by the Starks after all the shit he and his family dropped on them fmade me actully like the asshat. If GRRM somehow makes me like Cersei in book 4 though I'll call him a warlock b/c it'd take some serious magic for me to like that evil bee-atch.

I completely agree with you. I hated Jaime through out the first two chapters, but my perception on him has changed since he saved Brienne.

“Her name is Brienne," Jaime said. "Brienne, the maid of Tarth. You are still maiden, I hope?"

This one dialogue has completely changed my view on Jaime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Obviously I like Jaime a lot more. 

I like Davos a lot more too, before he kinda bored me but he's really growing on me.

Dany, idk how to feel. I feel like she needs to get her priorities straight and instead of making it her mission to save every slave in Essos actually work towards her original goal of conquering Westeros(oddly enough I find myself rooting for most characters even when they are going against each other because I love them all so much its confusing)

Jon, I've always loved him but even more so this book. His chapter during the battle at the wall against the wildlings I absolutely loved! I love action scenes like that in general. They get me hella pumped.

Also idk if I'd even met Oberyn before but I loved him this book. His "you raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" and "Elia Martell, say her name" thing was so powerful I loved it. Also the part about how he used to make fun of his sisters suitors and how he called one of them "Baelor Breakwind" after he farted in front of them amused me quite a bit not just because it was funny but also because having siblings myself, this is totally something I could see my brother, sister, and I doing to each other.

The Hound, I have no words. He's a very confusing, very grey character. He's obviously very broken in a way that I don't think can ever be fixed.

As for Robb, I don't hate him too much for the whole Jeyne thing even though it was stupid of him I have to remind myself that he's just a horny teenage boy.

Archived