Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

So, are there any characters you hated in books one and/or two but then changed your mind about in book three? Or vice versa, was there a character you liked but by the end of book three didn't care for as much?

The big one that stands out for me is Jaime Lannister. I hated him all through books 1 and 2 and then GRRM had to go and make him a complex and round character. Not only saving Brienne form rape and death, but giving her the sword Tywin made from Ice, making her call it Oathkeeper, and basically trying to do some right by the Starks after all the shit he and his family dropped on them fmade me actully like the asshat. If GRRM somehow makes me like Cersei in book 4 though I'll call him a warlock b/c it'd take some serious magic for me to like that evil bee-atch.

So, are there any characters you hated in books one and/or two but then changed your mind about in book three? Or vice versa, was there a character you liked but by the end of book three didn't care for as much?

The big one that stands out for me is Jaime Lannister. I hated him all through books 1 and 2 and then GRRM had to go and make him a complex and round character. Not only saving Brienne form rape and death, but giving her the sword Tywin made from Ice, making her call it Oathkeeper, and basically trying to do some right by the Starks after all the shit he and his family dropped on them fmade me actully like the asshat. If GRRM somehow makes me like Cersei in book 4 though I'll call him a warlock b/c it'd take some serious magic for me to like that evil bee-atch.

Samwel Tarly. I am only about half way through asos. I did not like him at all at first- he wasn't boring, just pathetic- but after the retreat from the fist, his insight about 'dragonglass' combined with his use of it makes me delight in the evolution of this character.

Stannis and Jaime.

Books 1 and 2 I wasn't crazy about the Stannis storyline, was just in it for Davos, who I like. Then in ASoS I became more conscious of Stannis' dry wit, and his moments with Davos were powerful. I got bit by the Stannis bug.

As for Jaime - the way GRRM handled his character is just genius.

Stannis and Jaime.

Books 1 and 2 I wasn't crazy about the Stannis storyline, was just in it for Davos, who I like. Then in ASoS I became more conscious of Stannis' dry wit, and his moments with Davos were powerful. I got bit by the Stannis bug.

As for Jaime - the way GRRM handled his character is just genius.

Same 4 me..but i really have to say that most of characters whos taken part in ASoS are... lets say.. better known after this book. Its something we all know and read it from time to time, that the fascinating on this series is that there is no bad or just good persons, it isnt just black or white its grey.

So Jaime in ASoS was really fascinating me and im wondering where he will go. Even Cersei sees that he has changed a bit.. there is much more to come for those two. But i think, like everyone, i dont will change my mind about her, she goes the way of her own favour and takes what it has to take to be that powerful person.

Stannis was surprising good.. did not expect that much of him in that book.

Sansa seems to growing and learns to adapt to the game. Shes is still not free.. coming away from Kingslanding will definitely help her, the Story was good and gave us some important informations (i guess).

There could be much more written about every character.. but most of the things already have been said (here or in other threads).

My only disappointment was my expectations on Sam. He did some good stuff in aCoK but he have to adapt more to his role. But GRR.M. want his role to be like that and i if to accept it. (damnit :bang: ) What i mean is that he did things which arent expected from him and he has the knowledge of many books. He seems to be more accepted on the wall by his brothers. But still, he thinks hes a coward and showing us that hes unsure about every step he makes, even after all he did. But i have the feeling thats what Martin is giving us for the beginning and probably he turn to a main character with more confidence and do some legen.. wait for it . . . dairy stuff! :cool4:

I hope all makes sense what i wrote. Its been a while since the last time i written in english. I could write more, but so fare i did really enjoyed the reading in this forum and hope to bring more to the table if i feel for.

I cannot comprehend the Daeny hateration at all. In S2 of the TV show it was all "OMG WHERE MAH DRAGONS YALL!!1!" But she came across much more interesting in the book. And as for book 3, the unsullied, Arstan, comanding her army, dealing w/ her "betrayers"--I found it all to be so entertaining and engaging.

Samwel Tarly. I am only about half way through asos. I did not like him at all at first- he wasn't boring, just pathetic- but after the retreat from the fist, his insight about 'dragonglass' combined with his use of it makes me delight in the evolution of this character.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat w/ Sam in his last few chapters of the book. Sam factors in bigtime to the plot in several ways. :)

And I've liked Sam from the get-go. However, maybe it's b/c I saw the first two seasons of the TV show before I read any of the books and the actor who plays u Sam is just so likeable.

I cannot comprehend the Daeny hateration at all. In S2 of the TV show it was all "OMG WHERE MAH DRAGONS YALL!!1!" But she came across much more interesting in the book. And as for book 3, the unsullied, Arstan, comanding her army, dealing w/ her "betrayers"--I found it all to be so entertaining and engaging.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat w/ Sam in his last few chapters of the book. Sam factors in bigtime to the plot in several ways. :)

And I've liked Sam from the get-go. However, maybe it's b/c I saw the first two seasons of the TV show before I read any of the books and the actor who plays u Sam is just so likeable.

Daeny is awesome and I thoroughly enjoy her chapters. Maybe I am corny but I find many of them to be pretty touching. Can't wait to read on about Sam.

Jon. I almost slept reading his chapters in the first two books, I even skipped two of them because I couldn't handle a character so annoyingly boring that did almost nothing. But I loved learning more about the wildlings through his point-of-view and Ygritte made him show another part of himself that I liked. I was a little bit sad that he got back to Castle Black, but when Stannis and Melisandre appeared (she's my second favorite character of the whole series) his arc became one of my favorites of the book. Well played, George Martin.

^^Glad you came around to liking Lord Snow, DBF. Jon is probably tied w/ Daeny for my favorite POV character in the books so far. Tyrion adn Arya are close seconds.

Tom, definitely post back in here when you finish book3. I'm curious to know your take on Sammy T.

Sansa: I started to like her.

Eh, I can't say I'm starting to like her, but I am certainly hating her less. She's done almost enough penance for snitching to Cersei back in book1. Almost.

From mislike to like: Jaime, Samwell, the Martells, Tommen (turns out to be an OK boy, so far anyway)

From like to mislike: Tywin (thought he'd be more noble than he turned out to be), Walder Frey (well, never quite liked him, but at first I thought he'd be a harmless old fool, whereas he turns out to be a c**t of the first order!), Jorah (disappoints on all level I think), Shae (betrays Tyrion although I agree she may not have had much choice).

Always liked Sansa, Arya, Bran, Robb, Stannis, Melisandre, Dany, Beric, the Hound, Kevan, Tyrion, Bronn, Jon so no change by end of aSoS, and never liked Theon, Balon, Asha, Cersei, Joffrey, Gregor, Janos Slynt, ser Alliser, Ramsay, and that hasn't changed either by the end of the book.

Roose Bolton is unclassifiable as he is quite evil but in an interesting way and I love reading about him.

^^So you took the Kahleesi's side? I don't know, I think she did Jorah wrong. She made him eat shit (literally), he did it w/ a smile, then she banished him anyway. Just like a woman. :P

And Shae is a good one, too. I was shocked and kind of not about what she did to Tyrion. There's a part of me, and I'm sure of Tyrion, that knew her true nature yet deep down hoped she'd rather die than betray Tyrion. Obviously she stayed true to her nature--it's kind of hard for me to hate someone for that though.

I think the reason it is so easy to move over to Jaime's side is because he becomes a POV character. Before ASoS, we only knew about his actions, not the reason behind his actions. Knowing the reasons behind actions, can make you completely forgive the act. The biggest example is Kingslayer. We know he broke his oath, but we finally learn as to why. Just put yourself in Jaime's shoes, and tell me truthfully you would not have done the same.

And then, there are times where the reasons cannot justify the actions, such as that of Tywin and his orders to kill Elia Martell and her children. His reasoning to prevent a possible claim to the throne in the future was not enough justification for MURDERING a woman and her children.

Jaime: I hated him at first but he was probably my favorite POV in ASoS and AFfC.

Tyrion: AGoT through ASoS, he was one of my favorites, but I can't stand his chapters in ADwD. I'm actually not done with the book yet, though.

Jon: Like others, when Stannis arrived, that's when I started liking his chapters. Not necessarily because Stannis arrived, but because other stuff started happening.

...The biggest example is Kingslayer. We know he broke his oath, but we finally learn as to why. Just put yourself in Jaime's shoes, and tell me truthfully you would not have done the same...

I never had a problem w/ him being Kingslayer. In fact, it was his only redeeming quality in the first two books. You'd think Eddard wouldn't begrudge him for that, but maybe he saw it as Jaime robbing him of his vengeance. And there is that whole oathbreaking thing. Eddard likely looked down on such men regardless of the oath or situation.

Archived