Ran

So, this is now published, the official companion app to the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Linda and I had a hand in it, and mostly it just covers information that hardcore fans already know or know how to find.

But, there are some new things in there, straight from George. And I'm going to reveal one of them:

GRRM finally gave us the age of Ser Gerold Dayne. As some of you know, one speculation is that he's in fact Aegon Targaryen. Another that I've seen recently is that he's in fact father to Aegon, by way of Ashara, or something. In the former case, he'd have to be about 18, give or take. In the latter, he'd have to be about of an age with poor, dead Ned, so mid to late 30s.

He is neither. Straight from the GRRM, he's in his "late twenties". 26-29. He'd have been about 9-12 at the time of Robert's Rebellion, much too old for Aegon, much too young for Ashara.

:smoking:

Maybe now that he can't rely on being someone else, this will motivate him to do something awesome on his own.

Let's not get carried away here... Dorkstar has to move all the way back up to "mediocre" before he can even dream of reaching "awesome."

He's gonna drive north thru that mountain pass by highgarden's back door, perhaps with a some lady snakes & their army, and that'll be right about the time that Euron is riding the river straight up to highgarden's front door. There should be an opportunity for something to happen; who can say whether that something will be in the semi-amazing range or if it will rise to the level of turbo-whoa!

Maybe Euron will be all, "Who in the blue hell are you?"

And D.Star will shoot back, "I'm nobody special!" as he dumps that crippled Tyrell over the castle wall at Euron's feet and then slays the padawan learners and goes on to dismantle the universe!

Hey. You have to remember that with Oberyn dead, Darkstar is the most dangerous man in Dorne. I mean, he managed to succeed in wounding a child!

Seriously though, the man has no reputation that we know of. He seems to act like a badass just for its own sake, and that's kind of stupid. He should have had some backstory beyond some "Ooh! We ladies swoon at your feet" handsomeness-description and Doran saying he's the most dangerous man in Dorne, for non-specified reasons (it could just be that the Dornish as a whole aren't very dangerous. So him being somewhat dangerous puts him at the top of the heap).

Perhaps Doran was planning to save him for a secret weapon when Daenerys finally makes it to Westeros? Just as she's recovering from mourning Daario and all the people of Meereen, boom! Sic Darkstar on her and subdue that dragon-lady!

I hope not. I kind of like him being decidedly un-awesome.

Martin was being very naughty to us. The buildup of Douchestar was great. We all thought we had some badass brooding Errol Flynn dude on our hands.

And at the "climax" of Douchestar's storyarc, we are so utterly let down, as he gallantly cuts off an unarmed little girl's ear and rides off with his tail between his legs.

Oh well Martin still served us up a rehash of the Avengers, all he needs is is a bowler hat for Doran and its go-time.

@OP

He could always be a secret Targ, Septon Lemore, Coldhands or the Hooded Man.

Archived