Ran

So, this is now published, the official companion app to the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Linda and I had a hand in it, and mostly it just covers information that hardcore fans already know or know how to find.

But, there are some new things in there, straight from George. And I'm going to reveal one of them:

GRRM finally gave us the age of Ser Gerold Dayne. As some of you know, one speculation is that he's in fact Aegon Targaryen. Another that I've seen recently is that he's in fact father to Aegon, by way of Ashara, or something. In the former case, he'd have to be about 18, give or take. In the latter, he'd have to be about of an age with poor, dead Ned, so mid to late 30s.

He is neither. Straight from the GRRM, he's in his "late twenties". 26-29. He'd have been about 9-12 at the time of Robert's Rebellion, much too old for Aegon, much too young for Ashara.

:smoking:

Jon Snow's stock just got up a bit..

Apparently there was a bug with the initial app release which prevented purchase of the packs of content for the later books. Update and see if that works.

I can promise that the wiki was also not used as a source. Everything was written from scratch. That said, since they treat on similar topics, they're going to be similar. And as I've indicated elsewhere, the app isn't really as in-depth as what's in the wiki on a number of topics. It's very much targetted to casual fans and those who really want to have a companion while they're reading.

As to the Aerion Brightflame theory, seems to me that the moment when Arianne thinks she'd have children as beautiful as dragonlords with Darkstar would be the exact moment when we'd be told that that's because Darkstar has a drop of Targaryen blood from several generations ago. So, you know where I stand on that one. ;)

My number one supporter!!

Seriously though, I'd agree if Arianne knew; I don't think she does. If we had a POV from Doran Martell, that would be very different.

Going to download the app now. Thanks again Ran!

Apparently there was a bug with the initial app release which prevented purchase of the packs of content for the later books. Update and see if that works.

I can promise that the wiki was also not used as a source. Everything was written from scratch. That said, since they treat on similar topics, they're going to be similar. And as I've indicated elsewhere, the app isn't really as in-depth as what's in the wiki on a number of topics. It's very much targetted to casual fans and those who really want to have a companion while they're reading.

I see, I tried to tap into the books to unlock/update but it didn't work. I compared the pages of the available characters and they are different than the wiki ones even though they are about the same topics.

But I have to buy the info packs?

ETA: that's £7.50 for all of them. I don't want to sound ungrateful but...that's a bit much for info I could get for free on the Internet or just by reading.

"You should never have got Darkstar involved in this plan. He's the least dangerous man in Dorne. You had absolutely no chance of success with him on board. Seriously, I saw him try to fight his way out of a paper bag once."

I mean he knew darkstar was involved, but don't tried to stop the plot... for unkown reasons. You can't seriously believe the poor excuses he gave Arianne in order to justify himself for knowing about the plot but not stopping it. He knows about the plot, but he let them try anyway. And, finally, ¿where did he learn about the plot? In my opinion, Doran hand was over the plot for crowning/killing Myrcella since its conception, but he succeded convincing Arianne that all the thing was her own idea. Littelfinger tactics. I don't discard Darkstar being Doran's man.

Stannis,

Free is what the wiki and the Citadel and the like are for. :) Like I said, it's aimed at a particular demographic of customers.

I wouldn't buy it either, since I'm not really in that demographic.

(I should add that I've no role in the pricing decisions. I had no idea as to how it would be priced until Mashable's exclusive.)

Ran, after starting to go through the entries one thing I noticed right away is in Maester Aemon's entry he is listed as being born in 198AL. While not surprising (it had to be either 197 or 198) it is the first confirmation that I see of which of the two he was born in. I'm assuming as the official companion to the series this is checked with George, right? Anyway, I'm excited!

I believe that tidbit is from GRRM.

I can't swear that it is error-free and absolutely perfect, but we've all tried our best. App development is very tricky in some ways.

That's great. Good enough for me. Thanks, I'll updated my ages thread. I'm sure it is quite a project, so thank you again for your work, and thanks to Linda as well. You're treasures both of you - even if you don't buy my Darkstar/Aerion theory just yet!

That's great. Good enough for me. Thanks, I'll updated my ages thread. I'm sure it is quite a project, so thank you again for your work, and thanks to Linda as well. You're treasures both of you - even if you don't buy my Darkstar/Aerion theory just yet!

The Darkstar/Aerion theory is definitely intriguing to me. If it were true, it could finally give some credence to Doran's opinion of Darkstar. I like it...

Thanks, Not Quite the Last Dragon. :)

Is there anyway George can be persuaded to have darkstar take arms with Aegon. I would find it hilarious if he took part in the capture of Storms End with Aegon. When Arianne comes to storms end, she meets Aegon with Darkstar and both of them are drunk in a dining hall. Darkstar is now part of the kingsguard but agrees only on the premise he doesnt have to follow no fathering children. Then Darkstar starts insulting her and reveals to everyone including Connington that she seduced Oakheart. Then Darkstar reveals what actually happened with Mycrella and then reveals he may have killed Balon swann. After that, everyone looks at Arrianne with look of, "wow, seriously?"

I always got the impression that he was older. He didn't seem like an 18 year old or however to me. Late 20's defintely suits him way better.

Anyhoo, interesting tidbit. Will be glad that at least some of the theories regarding Darkiepants being more than he is will dwindle a wee bit.

Archived