Why bring her back?

Little Fingers

Let me prefice this topic by saying that I am about 820 pages into AFFC which makes me fully aware that this question could be answered later in the book. So here's my question: why Catelyn was brought back and what will be her ultimate purpose? Is it revenge against the Frey's? Does it have anything to do with her remaining children in some way? A couple of people that I talk to have voiced similar questions. Just wondering what everyone thought. Thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

Are you asking why Martin chose to bring her back? In that case, the simplest answer is that he felt there was story potential in turning one of the most empathetic characters (who is also the most nurturing mother we see in the series) into a cold and ruthless killer. Not only does it alter her arc's plot in a dramatic way, it also greatly affects how the Brotherhood Without Banners operates, affecting the Riverlands as a whole.

Not one of my favorite events, but I have hopes that she will impact Jon's story in a positive way since she is of the opinion that he may be the last surviving member of house Stark.

I don't think Cat cares about Jon. She hated Jon. As far as she's concerned, he's a bastard born of Ned's infidelity.I don't think Cat views Jon as a member of House Stark

• 4 weeks later...

You'll find out later in A Feast for Crows...you've probably finished it by now, though.

But that's no reason!

But I think, Martin just wanted to make sure again, that it is possible to bring characters back from death and that will be more importent later on and Cat was just an example. And of course Brienne's story needed some change in it, otherwise she'd be running around Westeros for her whole life, searching for Sansa.

Not one of my favorite events, but I have hopes that she will impact Jon's story in a positive way since she is of the opinion that he may be the last surviving member of house Stark.

You forget Benjen. She never knew that he disappeared. And I think she probably likes him way more than Jon, just like vjott said. And just because Jon's the favourite of a lot of readers, that doesn't mean that he's loved by everyone in Westeros.

Are you asking why Martin chose to bring her back? In that case, the simplest answer is that he felt there was story potential in turning one of the most empathetic characters (who is also the most nurturing mother we see in the series) into a cold and ruthless killer. Not only does it alter her arc's plot in a dramatic way, it also greatly affects how the Brotherhood Without Banners operates, affecting the Riverlands as a whole.

The flip flop in personality has to be foreshadowing. Lady Catelyn is full of vengeful rage, but I disagree that it is just now appearing. She was just as harsh prior to her death due to reaction to taking Tyrion hostage. But think, she was vengeful due to the attack on her life and, most importantly, her son Brans. The future for this new Catelyn seems to be out to right the wrongs that were committed against her, and I agree with The Mountain That Flies, BWB is a power in the riverlands (Robin Hood mentality). Their strength doesn’t lie in numbers but in support from the common folk. The ones that suffer throughout the entirety of the book; those that very few care about. The BWB is their sword and shield.

You forget Benjen. She never knew that he disappeared. And I think she probably likes him way more than Jon, just like vjott said. And just because Jon's the favourite of a lot of readers, that doesn't mean that he's loved by everyone in Westeros.

As Lady Catelyn I think she could have supported Benjen over Jon, but as Lady Stoneheart I think it would be a tough sell to the Northern Lords that signed Robb's will.

As Lady Catelyn I think she could have supported Benjen over Jon, but as Lady Stoneheart I think it would be a tough sell to the Northern Lords that signed Robb's will.

Speaking of the will, am i right in saying we haven't heard anything more of it?

I briefly remember Robb talking about putting Jon in the will, but we didn't see what was actually written down did we?

Speaking of the will, am i right in saying we haven't heard anything more of it?

I briefly remember Robb talking about putting Jon in the will, but we didn't see what was actually written down did we?

We know that Robb named Jon his heir and had the lords attach their seal to the document and from the TWOIAF app we have confirmation that Maege and Glover were given the will.

Still, what help would she be anyway to Jon, I mean he alredy refused Winterfell in the last book.

Still, what help would she be anyway to Jon, I mean he alredy refused Winterfell in the last book.

I think he was right to refuse Winterfell. Imagine trying to convince the Northern lords to turn from the old gods and worship Stannis's red god because Stannis gave you Winterfell. That conversation wouldn't go very well, Stannis isn't even a Northman and Jon was smart enough to see that in the long run accepting Stannis's offer would mean trouble. As Lady Catelyn she could solidify his position as as Robb's heir, but the more I think of it that seems unlikely to happen. The BWB are currently looking for Arya and she would never knowingly put Jon before Arya as heir to Winterfell.

I think he was right to refuse Winterfell. Imagine trying to convince the Northern lords to turn from the old gods and worship Stannis's red god because Stannis gave you Winterfell. That conversation wouldn't go very well, Stannis isn't even a Northman and Jon was smart enough to see that in the long run accepting Stannis's offer would mean trouble. As Lady Catelyn she could solidify his position as as Robb's heir, but the more I think of it that seems unlikely to happen. The BWB are currently looking for Arya and she would never knowingly put Jon before Arya as heir to Winterfell.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. Surely there was some significance to naming Jon the heir but I can't see him leaving the Night's Watch, especially in his current position.

I would be destoryed if someone other than a Stark gets it.

An interesting topic. Its my belief that her motivation is revenge only. I was never a fan of hers, and was kind of hoping she'd stay dead.

I wanted her dead too but this way it's more interesting. Why bring her back? Because it's livelier (pun intended) that way! Who wouldn't want their dead mother hunting Frey scum across the continent of Westeros?

• 3 weeks later...

Let me prefice this topic by saying that I am about 820 pages into AFFC which makes me fully aware that this question could be answered later in the book. So here's my question: why Catelyn was brought back and what will be her ultimate purpose? Is it revenge against the Frey's? Does it have anything to do with her remaining children in some way? A couple of people that I talk to have voiced similar questions. Just wondering what everyone thought. Thanks! :)

No idea...but thinking about it makes me wonder if she'll be a "bad-ass" now, no more thoughts of honor, loyalty, etc, just cut throat revenge watching for her children! I have to say, if I was in her shoes and could come back and protect my kids, I'd make sure they're all ok and make the Freys and Lannisters pay dearly!

• 2 months later...

She's hanging Freys. What's not to like? :P

Seriously though, many theorize that she will

give dead Jon the kiss of fire

(which I doubt... she's Lady Stoneheart!) But me thinks, if Jon will ever accept Robb's will Lady Stoneheart will be there to stop him for becoming the Lord of Winterfell or King in the North. She knows Arya was with the Hound and Brienne been looking for Sansa. So as long as she's alive, Jon Snow can't be above her own children.

• 2 weeks later...

Dondarion brought her back, and the reason he did was that he promised Arya that he would see her reunited with her mother again, or something like that. I forget exactly how it goes. That's why Ser Beric brought her back.

As for the mind of George Martin and plot points and what may or may not happen, well, I'll leave that for wild speculation.

Archived