The Extent of the Valyrian Empire

AzureOwl

Hyrkoon is a city in the John Carter of Mars series :)

Appropiate. :D

Patrimony :o I thought they were like the Amazons and have a matriarchal culture but well it could change over time.

Okaaay. What about Jogos Nhai, the winged men and such?! :P

I hope I'm not bothering you :(

I think that you’re confusing patrimony with patriarchy.

The Joghos Nhai don’t get an entry of their own, but they’re mentioned in the one for N’ghai. The people of the kingdom of N’ghai are a distant and settled kin of the nomadic Joghos Nhai who wander the plains endlessly.

The City of the Winged Men is exactly what it says in the tin, but even in-universe it is dismissed by many as a myth.

Anything on Asshai and the Shadowlands yet?

Yi Ti's society sounds very much like the Holy Roman Empire, by the way. The title of the ruler may be a nod towards the Japanese tenno, but the Chinese Empire was more directly controlled by the Imperial bureaucracy, but the Holy Roman Empire was firmly in the hand of the Princes.

Anything on Asshai and the Shadowlands yet?

Nothing we didn't already knew, as far as I can tell.

Yi Ti's society sounds very much like the Holy Roman Empire, by the way. The title of the ruler may be a nod towards the Japanese tenno, but the Chinese Empire was more directly controlled by the Imperial bureaucracy, but the Holy Roman Empire was firmly in the hand of the Princes.

True. It's also interesting to note that at some point the most recurring form of government was vast confederations of polities ruled by monarchs. So far we have the Rhoynar, the Sarnori and the Yi Ti.

I personally think the Stark Kings had a play as to why the Valyrian Freehold did not move further North than they did. With the given rise of magic at this time, and the Stark Kings warg abilities might have given the Valyrian

DragonLords a second thought.

I personally think the Stark Kings had a play as to why the Valyrian Freehold did not move further North than they did. With the given rise of magic at this time, and the Stark Kings warg abilities might have given the Valyrian

DragonLords a second thought.

Still doesn't explain why they didn't make a move on the Kingdoms south of the Neck.

Sarnor sounds like Arnor. GRRM is very unoriginal in his naming of things.

Not unoriginality so much as deliberate homage. If you look at the maps you'll find that an awful lot of the names are taken from Lovecraft.

Still doesn't explain why they didn't make a move on the Kingdoms south of the Neck.

It kind of does, if the Stark Kings have these abilities who's to say other in Westeros don't. To add to it, old Valyria might not have had a lot of information on Westeros, and they just might have figured the abilities where common.

Something I found interesting was, if Aenar had 5 dragons, and they were an ancient family, how come they ONLY had 5 dragons?

We see that the Targs, starting with just 3 dragons at the Conquest, had about a dozen dragons by the time of the Dance of the Dragons, 130 years later.

Surely over the course of 5000 years the Targaryens would have increased their dragon numbers way beyond just 5.

Likely the cost of sustaining the dragons, after Aegon I they had a whole continent under their rule (minus Dorne) so the could feed and house as many dragons as they needed, but as minor nobility they were probably far more limited.

Another possibility is that the Seven or whoever they were foresaw the arrival of the Valyrians, even if it wasn't going to be until thousands of years later, and urged the Andals to invade Westeros at that point when the kingdoms of the First Men were warring, fractious and unlikely to unite against them. I'm presuming the Andals were much less numerous than the First Men to start with and couldn't take all of Westeros in one go (and the information does suggest that the Andal invasion was more of a slow migration taking 1,000-2,000 years rather than a lightning campaign).

I've speculated in my own thread that there were at least 2 major invasions ( 2,000 years apart) by Andals and proto-Andals, which is my way of explaining why the storm-kings pre Andal invasion worshiped different gods from the FM. Basically, political instability caused the first invasion of "proto-Andals" around 8,000-6,000 BAL who worshiped griffin and Stormgods and settled in the Vale and Stormlands. There was then a second wave of more militant, advanced seven-worshiping "true Andals" around 6,000-4,000 BAL who easily absorbed the Andals already present in the Vale and stormlands, before then absorbing the rest of the south.

Archived