Starting to think Jon Conn might know about Jon Snow true identity..

Jon Icefyre

Ok so I re read ADWD for like the 50th time and there was a specific line from Jon Conn that stood out to me. In the Lost Lord chapter when Jon and Aegon(or faegon) meet up with the golden company Jon introduces Aegon in a way that really stood out to me. He says "My lords, I give you Aegon Targaryen, firstborn son of Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone, by Princess Elia of Dorne" Now I know most ppl will see this and say it's simply just a formal introduction which is what i thought every time I read it. But the more I think about it the more it stands out to me. Why does JC have to say First born son of Rhaegar? I mean it's well known by everyone in the seven kingdoms and most across the narrow sea that Rhaegar only had one son(since the majority of ppl don't suspect R+L=J) so why doesn't he just simply say Rhaegar's son or Rhaegars heir? Why does he feel the need to add in the firstborn son when there's really no need for it since Rhaegar is believed to only have one son to begin with?

Unless JC being one of Rhaegar's closets friends some how knew or discovered the truth about Jon Snow and knows he's Rhaegar's second son, and he maybe subconsciously feels the need to add in the firstborn to validate to himself his reasoning for putting in his support for Aegon instead of Jon Snow depspite the events that took place in the TOJ and leading up to it since in JC's mind Aegon is the firstborn therefore Rhaegar's true heir not Jon Snow.....Just a thought lol, would love to hear what you guys think about this.

That is very odd now that I think on it...good catch. He also singles out Elia, saying "son by Elia of Dorne"...as if Rhaegar had another baby momma.

Maybe he knew Lyanna was pregnant, but just assumed the child died with her at the TOJ? That's the best explanation I can come up with. I just seriously doubt he knows about Ned taking Jon and raising him as his bastard. Surely he would have thought about uniting "Aegon" with his brother at some point if he really knew about Jon Snow.

That is very odd now that I think on it...good catch. He also singles out Elia, saying "son by Elia of Dorne"...as if Rhaegar had another baby momma.

Maybe he knew Lyanna was pregnant, but just assumed the child died with her at the TOJ? That's the best explanation I can come up with. I just seriously doubt he knows about Ned taking Jon and raising him as his bastard. Surely he would have thought about uniting "Aegon" with his brother at some point if he really knew about Jon Snow.

Good point maybe he doesn't know the exact Identity of Jon Snow(meaning he doesn't know the second son is Jon snow) but I think he's definitely aware that there is a very real possibility that Rhaegar and Lyanna had a son that is currently living

Good point maybe he doesn't know the exact Identity of Jon Snow(meaning he doesn't know the second son is Jon snow) but I think he's definitely aware that there is a very real possibility that Rhaegar and Lyanna had a son that is currently living

And yet, if this is actually a hint that he knows something, I don't think he would have used that firstborn son if he didn't know the sex of the baby which means that his knowledge is quite deep. If he does know that Rhaegar has a son, it is unlikely that he hasn't tried to understand where this son ended up and given Jon's love for Rhaegar he would not have been satisfied with him living the life of a commoner without even a hint of the education that he then procures for Young Griff. A position as the bastard son of Winterfell might make him happy since he might believe Jon to be a bastard anyway and because the Starks are still a honorable house. Most of all, Ned is an honorable man who loved his sister and he wouldn't put Jon in harm's way.

I still think that this is ceremonial but if not I believe JC does know that JS is Rhaegar's son. It would be an interesting twist.

While the evidence presented in the OP is pretty good, Jon Connington was well out of Westeros before Jon Snow was born. Even if he had known Lyanna was pregnant/trying to making babies, how would he have known anything that happened after he was exiled (the baby being a boy, being taken by Ned, etc.)? Varys could certainly be supplying him with information, but to what end? Unless there is a much bigger conspiracy surrounding Jon Snow's identity than we think, I'm just not sure what Connington knowing would add to the story (especially since Howland Reed is physically closer to Jon Snow and has more connections near the Wall via his kids)

I'm inclined to believe that the introduction is simply a string of formalities, but I can see how it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that JC knew Lyanna was pregnant. I do not believe, however, that he would have any real indication that her child is still alive, or that the child is Jon Snow.

Why does JC have to say First born son of Rhaegar? I mean it's well known by everyone in the seven kingdoms and most across the narrow sea that Rhaegar only had one son(since the majority of ppl don't suspect R+L=J) so why doesn't he just simply say Rhaegar's son or Rhaegars heir? Why does he feel the need to add in the firstborn son when there's really no need for it since Rhaegar is believed to only have one son to begin with?

One problem: what would be the point of that speech? Did he want to tell them about Jon Snow? If yes (and for what possible purpose?), then just say it out loud. If not, then it was a hell of an accidental tongue slip.

And yet, if this is actually a hint that he knows something, I don't think he would have used that firstborn son if he didn't know the sex of the baby which means that his knowledge is quite deep. If he does know that Rhaegar has a son, it is unlikely that he hasn't tried to understand where this son ended up and given Jon's love for Rhaegar he would not have been satisfied with him living the life of a commoner without even a hint of the education that he then procures for Young Griff. A position as the bastard son of Winterfell might make him happy since he might believe Jon to be a bastard anyway and because the Starks are still a honorable house. Most of all, Ned is an honorable man who loved his sister and he wouldn't put Jon in harm's way.

I still think that this is ceremonial but if not I believe JC does know that JS is Rhaegar's son. It would be an interesting twist.

Very true but, even if JC doesn't know the exact sex of the baby maybe he simply say's First born just to be safe because he realizes the very real possibility of Rhaegar and Lyanna having a child and that the child might indeed be alive and a boy.

One problem: what would be the point of that speech? Did he want to tell them about Jon Snow? If yes (and for what possible purpose?), then just say it out loud. If not, then it was a hell of an accidental tongue slip.

Like I said in the OP I think it's possible he's been struggling with the theory of R+L=Child for quite sometime now and at this point it's implanted hard into his subconscious his justification for putting 100% of his efforts in supporting Aegon instead of also supporting or at the very least trying to find the child of Rhaegar's true love(Lyanna). I think him saying Firstborn son is more for himself than the men he's talking to. With that being said I do correct myself and admit it would be a stretch for him to know the child is Jon Snow, but that still doesn't mean he doesn't know or at least suspect Rhaegar's third child is out there. Could be a very interesting place for GRRM to take the Jon Conn arc.

While I like the observation I think you need more to make it stand even as a possibility. If he knew Lyanna was pregnant it doesn't take a genius to figure out the Jon Snow angle. He is a man who is willing to take incredible risks and endure public disgrace out of a love for Rhaegar. If he knew Rhaegar had a son (one that shared his first name too) I think it would come up in his reflections. Obviously Martin couldn't explicitly state it without giving something away before his timeline is ripe, but he could allude to it. Is there anything else about some amorphous regret or some other thought that might refer to him knowing about another son of Rhaegar? I can't recall anything.

While I like the observation I think you need more to make it stand even as a possibility. If he knew Lyanna was pregnant it doesn't take a genius to figure out the Jon Snow angle. He is a man who is willing to take incredible risks and endure public disgrace out of a love for Rhaegar. If he knew Rhaegar had a son (one that shared his first name too) I think it would come up in his reflections. Obviously Martin couldn't explicitly state it without giving something away before his timeline is ripe, but he could allude to it. Is there anything else about some amorphous regret or some other thought that might refer to him knowing about another son of Rhaegar? I can't recall anything.

I don't recall anything like that either, and it'd definitely be there. Jon loved Rhaegar, if he knew of another son he'd think of him. Even if he thought him dead.

I like the idea, but it may not be entirely plausible. Jon Con was bffs with Rhaegar so it definitely is possible he knew something about Jon Snow but I don't think this is enough evidence to say he did with 100% certainty. That would be a great twist by GRRM so have us all think Howland Reed would give Jon the info about his parents, but it might be JC!

Also, it would be awesome if Jon Snow was named Jon by Rhaegar/Lyanna for JonCon because then it was easy for Ned to say he named his bastard son after Jon Arryn.

Archived