Starting to think Jon Conn might know about Jon Snow true identity..

Jon Icefyre

Unlikely, though he likes people to believe this. If he had intel everywhere and if he were trying to restore the Targaryens, then he'd know about Jon and wouldn't be passing off someone else's kid as Aegon son of Rhaegar.

I don't think he's trying to restore the Targaryen's I think Aegon is really a blackfyre and Varys is a blackfyre supporter trying to sit a blackfyre on the iron throne

I don't think he's trying to restore the Targaryen's I think Aegon is really a blackfyre and Varys is a blackfyre supporter trying to sit a blackfyre on the iron throne

This is all the more reason to figure that Varys doesn't know anything about Jon — if he did, he'd know there was another possible Targ claimant who could make a challenge to his own Blackfyre claimant (and unlike Dany, Jon can't exactly marry Aegon) and probably would have made some action to hurt Jon or at least consider him in some way.

This is all the more reason to figure that Varys doesn't know anything about Jon — if he did, he'd know there was another possible Targ claimant who could make a challenge to his own Blackfyre claimant (and unlike Dany, Jon can't exactly marry Aegon) and probably would have made some action to hurt Jon or at least consider him in some way.

Well Iv'e actually said this on other threads that I suspected that vary's might have had a part to play in the attack on Jon at the end of ADWD for all the reasons you just mentioned. We already know he has spies and ppl under his influence in the north from GOT when he knew about the attempt on brans life and the wound on Cat's hand and that she was on her way to KL. Plus the timeline of Jon's attack matches up almost at if not exactly at the same time of Kevan Lannister's murder when vary's also decided to reveal his plan to sit Aegon on the Iron throne.

Well Iv'e actually said this on other threads that I suspected that vary's might have had a part to play in the attack on Jon at the end of ADWD for all the reasons you just mentioned. We already know he has spies and ppl under his influence in the north from GOt when he knew about the attempt on brans life and the wound on Cat's hand and that she was on her way to KL. Plus the timeline of Jon's attack matches up almost at if not exactly at the same time of Kevan Lannister's murder when vary's also decided to reveal his plan to sit Aegon on the Iron throne.

... Yeah I don't see this, either. I can think of probably four or five likelier reasons for Jon's assassination than Varys. I don't see any evidence that Jon Snow is even on Varys' radar (beyond that remark to Ned that was like three years ago now), let alone that Varys is behind the assassination attempt.

... Yeah I don't see this, either. I can think of probably four or five likelier reasons for Jon's assassination than Varys. I don't see any evidence that Jon Snow is even on Varys' radar (beyond that remark to Ned that was like three years ago now), let alone that Varys is behind the assassination attempt.

I'm sure most ppl didn't see Lysa Arryn and Littlefinger behind the poisining of her husband Jon Arryn either. I think the point is to not have the readers see it coming lol

I'm sure most ppl didn't see Lysa Arryn and Littlefinger behind the Assassination of her husband Jon Arryn either. I think the point is to not have the readers see it coming lol

And I can equally think of likelier "out of left field" possibilities behind Jon's assassination than Varys. Sorry but you're not blowing my skirt up here. :P

And I can equally think of likelier "out of left field" possibilities behind Jon's assassination than Varys. Sorry but you're not blowing my skirt up here. :P

Well I don't think he's solely responsible for the assassination attempt there are definitely other valid reasons why the attempt was made outside of Varys but I think he could have had influence in the final decision to go ahead with the attack. Also from the point of Tyrion's escape in ASOS all the way until the epilogue of ADWD the whereabouts and actions of Vary's are unknown...so who knows what he was doing/planning in that time span.

Well I don't think he's solely responsible for the assassination attempt there are definitely other valid reasons why the attempt was made outside of Varys but I think he could have had influence in the final decision to go ahead with the attack. Also from the point of Tyrion's escape in ASOS all the way until the epilogue of ADWD the whereabouts and actions of Vary's are unknown...so who knows what he was doing/planning in that time span.

I'm not even seeing this. I don't think Varys had any consideration or thought for Jon at all, apart from, like I said, his offhand remark to Ned. I don't think he had anything to do with the assassination, either masterminding it, OK'ing it or anything else. If you're going to make that argument, you need some additional evidence other than "because it's Varys."

Sorry guys first post been lurking for a while now and I found this gem in the Griffin Reborn chapter page 809.

A bride for our bright prince. Jon Connington remembered Rhaeghar's wedding all too well. Elia was never worthy of him. She was frail and sickly from the first, and childbirth only left her weaker. After the birth of Princess Rhaenys, her mother had been bedridden for half a year and Prince Aegons had almost been here death. She would bear no more children, the maesters told Prince Rhaeghar afterward.

Does anybody else think this is just a little bit ambiguous?

Sorry guys first post been lurking for a while now and I found this gem in the Griffin Reborn chapter page 809.

A bride for our bright prince. Jon Connington remembered Rhaeghar's wedding all too well. Elia was never worthy of him. She was frail and sickly from the first, and childbirth only left her weaker. After the birth of Princess Rhaenys, her mother had been bedridden for half a year and Prince Aegons had almost been here death. She would bear no more children, the maesters told Prince Rhaeghar afterward.

Does anybody else think this is just a little bit ambiguous?

I think:

1. It denotes Jon Conn's jealousy of and/or snideness toward Elia.

2. It corroborates the idea that Rhaegar would have looked somewhere else to father his third child.

3. It does not necessarily follow that Jon Conn knows who Jon Snow really is.

I think:

1. It denotes Jon Conn's jealousy of and/or snideness toward Elia.

2. It corroborates the idea that Rhaegar would have looked somewhere else to father his third child.

3. It does not necessarily follow that Jon Conn knows who Jon Snow really is.

Agreed. That reads like Jon Con is upset that Elia is going to get shot by the Rhae-gun and he's not.

That's a good one. I'm still not sold on the whole JonCon is gay theory.

Didn't GRRM pretty much confirm it, though? I remember him saying something about a gay POV in ADWD and it can only be Connington. I mean, this guy thinks of Rhaegar as his "silver prince" and is obviously butthurt about him getting married. Seems pretty straightforward to me. *shrugs*

Didn't GRRM pretty much confirm it, though? I remember him saying something about a gay POV in ADWD and it can only be Connington. I mean, this guy thinks of Rhaegar as his "silver prince" and is obviously butthurt about him getting married. Seems pretty straightforward to me. *shrugs*

Did he really? I wasn't aware of that. I know his remembrances contained some odd and suggestive language, but I just took it as the way some men spoke during that time. They say the same about Abraham Lincoln regarding the letters he wrote to a longtime male friend. They contained the same sort of language. I got Renly and Loras. But I wasn't sold on JonCon and the Blackfish. But if it's confirmed then it is what it is.

Give me another quote with the order of birth being stated in a title and I'll give it to you.

I'm pretty sure I gave one upthread where Barristan Selmy is listed in the White Book as firstborn son of Lyonel Selmy. "Ser Barristan of House Selmy. Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall."

There is no indication that Selmy had any brothers and yet there's this formality of 'firstborn' son.

Archived