Season 3 First Look Featurette

Westeros

Interesting that Locke flys under a Bolton banner. I am wondering if he is going to be a direct Bolton retainer or a minor lord sworn directly to the Starks. Or if the writers

are going to keep the betrayal angle and have him act as a mercenary initially fighting for the Lannisters, but just don't want to get into the details of the Brave Companions

I don't think his name is randomly chosen. Locke is a Northern house, of Oldcastle, near White Harbor. So I guess there's no chance he'll be a common mercenary. I think he will be a noble sworn to the Boltons.

Yeah, I think they'll drop the whole betrayal storyline, the story is complicated enough for TV audiences.

I suppose that making Locke a Bolton bannerman will also enable them to flesh out (no pun intended) Roose Bolton. (And probably add some much-needed greyness in the "Northern cause"...)

Yeah, I think they'll drop the whole betrayal storyline, the story is complicated enough for TV audiences.

I suppose that making Locke a Bolton bannerman will also enable them to flesh out (no pun intended) Roose Bolton. (And probably add some much-needed greyness in the "Northern cause"...)

They already have Steelshanks

and Ramsay

this season to provide additional insight into House Bolton. Having Locke act as an overzealous Northern lord that Robb puts under Roose's command would show both Roose's status among Robb's bannermen and make more sense. Cuz

why would one of Roose's men cut off Jaime's hand? In the books, his men are utterly obedient and loyal as shown by Steelshanks, and the Bastard's Boys who still answer to Roose despite being Ramsay's pals. I hope the show doesn't change that. Also, it would be a better indication of his (lack of) loyalty to Robb's cause to see Roose throw another lord under the bus rather than one of his own guys

Do you mean drop the

Bolton betrayal? I think that was already set up with Ramsay named as the one leading the Northmen coming to retake Winterfell. It makes no sense to have the Red Wedding be soley a Frey doing.

Do you mean drop the Bolton betrayal? I think that was already set up with Ramsay named as the one leading the Northmen coming to retake Winterfell. It makes no sense to have the Red Wedding be soley a Frey doing.

I think s/he meant the betrayal of the Bloody Mummers when they changed sides from the Westermen to the Northmen.

EDIT: Ramsay Gimp beat me to it.

Do you mean drop the Bolton betrayal? I think that was already set up with Ramsay named as the one leading the Northmen coming to retake Winterfell. It makes no sense to have the Red Wedding be soley a Frey doing.

No, I meant the Bloody Mummers' betrayal of the Lannisters.

They already have Steelshanks

and Ramsay

this season to provide additional insight into House Bolton. Having Locke act as an overzealous Northern lord that Robb puts under Roose's command would show both Roose's status among Robb's bannermen and make more sense. Cuz

why would one of Roose's men cut off Jaime's hand? In the books, his men are utterly obedient and loyal as shown by Steelshanks, and the Bastard's Boys who still answer to Roose despite being Ramsay's pals. I hope the show doesn't change that. Also, it would be a better indication of his (lack of) loyalty to Robb's cause to see Roose throw another lord under the bus rather than one of his own guys

If the whole "Locke as in House Locke as in bannerman of House Bolton" idea is true, they might have to do the change you're talking about.

Of course, if he's just Vargo Hoat without the foreign accent, it doesn't really change much.

Edit : Didn't see that two people answered for me already !

^You're gonna want to mark that with spoiler tags MyLittleDirewolf....

But I think he meant

Vargo/Locke's betrayal of the Lannisters, since he was responsing to me and that's what I meant

Sorry about that, added spoiler tags.

But yes, what you said is confusing enough in the books, I don't see how it would translate well to the screen.

Don't look so glum, Tyrion. It's not like you lost a nose or anything. Besides, the scar will just get you laid even more. Chicks dig scars.

I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this Missandei. Doesn't feel right that she's taller than Dany. I've always considered her a cute, pint-sized thing that you can fit in your pocket. Missandei is like the Siri before there was an Apple.

Don't look so glum, Tyrion. It's not like you lost a nose or anything. Besides, the scar will just get you laid even more. Chicks dig scars.

I am sure that is Tyrion's wedding, just look at what he wears... kind of fancy :). I understood that they couldn't cut his nose like in the books, but the scar should have been a lot uglier .... people couldn't even look at his face. That tiny line on his face makes him look even better

I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this Missandei. Doesn't feel right that she's taller than Dany. I've always considered her a cute, pint-sized thing that you can fit in your pocket. Missandei is like the Siri before there was an Apple.

Yeah, probably they thought there were already too many children in the show. I kind of agree with that, even if Missandei was my favorite character in Essos.

Arya is getting mighty tall.

Just wait until we get a look at Bran :). What are they going to do when he's getting as big as Hodor???

Just watched the featurette again, we see some soldiers at 0:57, any idea who they are??? They have some feathers, or decorations on their helmets.... it fits with the unsullied... even if they are smaller then in the books. But still, we have other images with them and they don't have that thing on the helmets.

Ooops, sorry, had a better look they have it in the other 2 shots as well. They look brilliant :)

Arya is getting mighty tall.

Definitely. I'm less thrilled that she's growing out her adorable haircut from Season 2 into something that's more 90s boyband. (I have similar feelings about the scraggly mustache Gendry's rocking.)

I was rewatching the Season 3 In Production featurette, and I noticed something interesting: there's a shot at about 0:54 of Margaery and the Queen of Thorns standing at the front of a crowd as Joffrey steps off something elevated, like a dais (and Margaery side-eyes Joffrey). It's not in the throne room (the floor's all wrong), and there are the same candles in the background as there were in the shot of Tyrion from the HBO yearender. There are also yellow-robed figures holding candles, presumably septons or the Westerosi equivalent of altar boys, and they appear to be standing to form an "aisle" of sorts.

I'm guessing this is the sept, and this is either the same scene with Tyrion at his supposed wedding, or it's Joffrey at his wedding. It would explain why Joffrey's at the front, on the dais, though not why Margaery is down with the rest of the crowd. Someone's getting married in that scene, though, that seems pretty clear. Margaery's shown to be wearing the same dress she's wearing in 0:54 in another scene in the Featurette with Cersei, albeit with a robe draped over it, and I doubt she would wear the same dress for her wedding as she would to get shown around by Cersei.

On the other hand, the Tyrells were all absent from Tyrion and Sansa's wedding in the books. And in the video, if you look really closely, it looks like Margaery's wearing some kind of pinkish/reddish cloak, or some pinkish/reddish cloak-like thing with some veil-type thing is pinned to the back of her dress. (Either that, or someone wearing pinkish/reddish robes and a veil is standing right behind her, which, on rewatch, looks like it might be the case.) So maybe it is Margaery and Joffrey's wedding, as I can't think of any other reason for Margaery to be wearing a cloak.

...In the books, the Tyrion/Sansa wedding and the Joffrey/Margaery wedding took place in different locations (the castle sept and the Sept of Baelor, respectively), but since it's been spoiled that the Tyrion/Sansa wedding was filmed with "hundreds" of extras as opposed to the small affair it was in the books, it makes sense they'd film both in the same place.

...Or maybe it's something else altogether, like Joffrey's redecorated the throne room and decided he wants candle-holding attendants at all times. I think I'm right about the wedding part, though.

That tiny line on his face makes him look even better

Hahaha, I know, right? It's kind of dashing. The writers who are trying to sell the "Tyrion is unbearably hideous" angle have their work cut out for them.

Archived