When Jaime Met Brynden

What's the deal with Brynden and eyes?

AFFC – Jaime V

The brooch that fastened Ser Brynden Tully’s cloak was a black fish, wrought in jet and gold. His ringmail was grim and grey. Over it he wore greaves, gorget, gauntlets, pauldron, and poleyns of blackened steel, none half so dark as the look upon his face as he waited for Jaime Lannister at the end of the drawbridge, alone atop a chestnut courser caparisoned in red and blue.

“. . . unless I hand you Riverrun. Is this where you threaten to hang Edmure?” Beneath his bushy brows, Tully’s eyes were stone.

The Blackfish narrowed his eyes. “Did your father arrange for that as well? Catelyn never trusted the boy, as I recall, no more than she ever trusted Theon Greyjoy.

You must be blind as well as maimed, ser. Lift your eyes, and you will see that the direwolf still flies above our walls.”

Jaime turned Honor’s head about for the long ride back to the Lannister siege lines. He could feel the eyes on him; the Tully men upon their battlements, the Freys across the river.

“I have known Brynden Tully since we were squires together, in service to Lord Darry,” said Norbert Vance, the blind Lord of Atranta. “If it please my lords, let me go and speak with him and try to make him understand the hopelessness of his position.”

“He understands that well enough,” said Lord Piper. He was a short, rotund, bowlegged man with a bush of wild red hair, the father of one of Jaime’s squires; the resemblance to the boy was unmistakeable. “The man’s not bloody stupid, Norbert. He has eyes . . . and too much sense to yield to such as these.” He made a rude gesture in the direction of Edwyn Frey and Walder Rivers.

Wow, lots to consider. Thinking back on Tully, he left his lord brother to go hang out at the Vale with his nutty niece--to protect her or Lord Arryn, I couldn't guess. Then he abruptly leaves the service of his niece for the service of his grand nephew (?) which takes him right back home. All he's left with is a nephew and a bastard grand step nephew. Does he know about Lysa? How is it possible he couldn't know? Littlefinger's multiple and myriad apostasies have to have reached him as well as possible intel from lords who could know Sansa's real identity. Seems to me if Blackfish wanted to safeguard someone he would have options more available in the Vale than anywhere else. He pretty much does what he wants. I can see that direwolf flag flying just to gall Jamie. The conversation in question was one of the more interesting exchanges in the series. I thought from the first reading that BF had a plan and was waiting for Jamie to come. I just suspected it had more to do with making certain Edmure was safe from the Freys before executing whatever the real plan was. Never thought Uncle Blackfish was a dirtbag or didn't completely put his family 1st. I don't imagine he would have to know about Robb's will to think up absconding and safeguarding Jeyne. Thanks for filling in that complete blank. Talk of Jeyne's crown summons the scenes of Cat with Robb's crown. It is Robb's crown, right?

I don't buy this theory really.

First, it's really a stretch that nobody would notice that another Westerling girl is missing and that Jeyne is not Jeyne. It's similar to (already debunked) theory that Lannisters don't have gold anymore - it's just not plausible that nobody would notice.

Second, I don't see what role this child could play. There is already Rickon, there is no need for this child to exist.

Third, for all Brynden knows, Jaime does not care about honor at all. So it would be strange for him to try to distract Jaime by constantly claiming that Jaime lacks honor.

Archived