Why did Illyrio give Dany the eggs?

nekrohsis

One possibility is that since Dany hatched the 3 dragons it might be easier for someone else to hatch eggs now. It has been mentioned many times there is more magic since the dragons hatched. It would be quite interesting if more dragons were in play than we thought.

I must say, I kind of hate the idea of the FM having them.

Yes, such a powerfull magic that after Dany singlehandedly hatched the dragons she sent the Three-Eyed-Crow and some White Walkers backwards in time to kill and resurrect Waymar Royce and give Bran some visions after she arranged for the Starks to get their wolf pups. :bang:

Why the distrust of Dany? I still think her heart is in the right place in all of this. I trust her to use them in the right way.

I'm not getting into it, but I've listed my reasons many, many, many times. You're free to hunt them up if you're curious. Her heart may be in the right place, but "good intentions pave the road to hell" is a maxim for a reason.

I don't like Dany, but the magic starts in ASOIAF because of her.

Does it?

Maybe to finance the Dothraki invasion to Westeros. I mean any other sane person will simply sell the Eggs and buy tens of ship instead of pillage the Dothraki Sea knowing something bad could happen (as it did happen). There's no need to be a deeper reason :dunno:

I think they're actual Targaryen family stash eggs.

A good question.

Not to forget the very mysterious Illyrio - Varys conspiracy, of which we seem to know nothing.

Could be there is a Valyrian stash of dragon eggs.

We know that enough of Valyrian was destroyed to break them, but some percentage of the land area is left.

The great cities may be destroyed but plenty of room left of hidy holes.

The Valyrians practiced dragon mastering for 5000 years ... how may dragons were left after the doom?

The eggs Danny had may not have been Targaryen , I don't think that is ever made explicit .... they could just as well as have Valyrian.

Wow, I hadn't expected this to take off like this!

Just my two cents--I really don't think he knew the eggs were going to hatch, and I really like the idea that maybe the eggs were a way to goad Robert into paying attention to Dany--as a decoy for Aegon, maybe? It just felt like there's more to the eggs than a simple present. Illyrio could have gotten her silks, gold, jewels. Instead, he gives her dragon eggs. And that feels to me like he's sending a message. Maybe the message is only to Dany, his way of telling her not to be scared, that she's the 'blood of the dragon'. But the way she reacts to the eggs at first is as a present. She tells Illyrio she will treasure them always, It's through her experiences with the Dothraki, with Viserys, and the eggs that she comes to identify as a 'dragon'. By giving her the eggs, he encourages her to be bold. If he was sending this message on purpose--and I think he was, because Illyrio's a smart guy--why?

Exactly. So where did they all disappear to?

Perhaps the eggs from Dragonstone were moved to Summerhal before the fire, since the tragedy there is said to have involved egg-hatching attempts. Some of the Targaryen eggs must have been there, maybe that is where Varys retrieved some and gave them to Illyrio? While everybody else thought the eggs to be gone?

I believe the eggs were given to Dany in the hope she would hatch them. There is this in Dany's last POV in AGOT:

Ser Jorah took her arm. "My queen, Drogo will have no use for dragon's eggs in the night lands. Better to sell them in Asshai. Sell one and we can buy a ship to take us back to the Free Cities. Sell all three and you will be a wealthy woman all your days."

"They were not given to me to sell," Dany told him.

The words are from Dany's mouth, but GRRM put them there.

I believe the eggs were given to Dany in the hope she would hatch them. There is this in Dany's last POV in AGOT:

The words are from Dany's mouth, but GRRM put them there.

Because Dany's right about everything ever?

There is no indication — none, anywhere — that Illyrio and/or Varys actually expected the eggs to hatch.

Archived