College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

I think Nebraska got a bad draw for a bowl game. After a humiliating loss in the B1G Championship game we get to bounce back with a game against ... Georgia? Fuck. I guess it really is a no-lose situation for the Huskers. If we get blown out then it's sort of expected, considering. If we play it close that's a win and if we win I get to come in here and type B1G! B1G! B1G!

This Holiday Bowl is completely unexpected for me. UCLA looks like they should be dominating the game if you just look at the size and speed of the players on the field, yet they are getting slaughtered. I am still not convinced that they can't make a game of this in the second half, especially with a coach like Morra having time to make adjustments and motivate the team.

The other thought that I had was that Florence just might have made an NFL roster with this performance. The NFL is a copycat league, and he is demonstrating that he can run an offense like RGIII could. He is not nearly that calibre of player, but he may just be worth a mid round gamble.

For all of Kentucky's numerous faults when it comes to football... we have always had a knack for recruiting guys with great names! There was Mister Cobble and Qua Huzzie just a couple years ago, now we have Za'Darious! We're on a roll!

i remember that :lmao: i even changed my board handle to mister cobble for a couple of weeks back then.

malzahn is putting together a heck of a coaching staff at auburn. more thoughts later, i'm at the work.

That was vomitastic. I think I am the curse. I've been to three Holiday Bowls Pac games at SD Stadium and in every one of them a bettter (IMO) Pac team lost to a Big 12/SDSU team. Badly. Crapping the bed does not begin to describe it. I think if UCLA had been on form that game is a classic score-fest, last team with the ball wins. But I think the Bruins played better at Cal.

Edited (as in red) because I was blending a Cal-SDSU game into the nightmare that is my fandom.

As crappy as Georgia Tech is, you probably have to worry about that Sun Bowl, because by all indications, USC just doesn't want to be there.

Which indications?

From my perspective, players like Robert Woods and Marquise Lee have never been to a bowl game. Sure it's not a headline BCS bowl, but it's still more than they've ever had. I imagine they'll show up. The fifth year seniors may be a bit disappointed, but the seniors and juniors wouldn't be. Wittik wants to secure his starting position for next year and force the backup QB to transfer, so he's going to want to be there. Kiffin hasn't coached a bowl game for USC yet, so he's going to want to be there.

Barkley will have a career stat that will wind up on a lot of those stupid Aflac trivia questions, but he's not even playing, so for being the only four year starter in USC history, he'll have only played in one bowl game, the Emerald Bowl.

otoh, USC fandom needs to get ready for how brutally hard the next four years will be, 6 and 7 win seasons will be extremely lucky and hard fought achievements. the team is unlikely to haul in an 8 win season until five years from now.

The way the team blew off the official bowl dinner and the various tweets the players have been making about how they don't want to be there.

I'd say those are some pretty strong indicators in general...

Anti-climatic game vs. Rutgers. Sloppy win, sloppy passing, sloppy clock management. 12th straight win in the series, I think.

Felt sad for Duke - saw the very end of that game and their turnovers. Looked like the RB who fumbled had some good runs and was just a freshman - I always feel bad for the real young & inexperienced guys who make a mistake that way.

i remember that :lmao: i even changed my board handle to mister cobble for a couple of weeks back then.

malzahn is putting together a heck of a coaching staff at auburn. more thoughts later, i'm at the work.

Don't know who all he has picked up thus far, but nabbing Melvin Smith away from MSU should provide a nice recruiting boost. Smith is widely regarded as having more numerous & deeper connections to MS high school coaches than anyone, and had become a fixture in Starkville (he's coached something like 13 of the past 17 seasons there). Pretty good DB coach, too.

Should be a great day for bowls today. Snow bowl in NYC, Oregon St/Texas, TCU/Mich St - some potentially fun matchups.

Good game going on in Texas. Unfortunately I think two biggest games will be over early. I would much rather see Oregon-Alabama and ND-K-state. K-state got torn up by lache seastrunk who couldnt even get playing time with Oregon. ND has a GREAT defense but they should have lost that Stanford game and needed Pitt (PITT!) to miss a field goal in triple overtime in order to win. They won every game and should absolutely be there, I just don't think those games will be very competitive. Top teams but there's at least 5 teams I would pick to beat them. Either way, I can't wait for playoffs to kick in.

Yeah - That was a terrible letdown. Texas won almost every play in the 4th quarter.

Riley went w/ Cody Vaz pretty much all night even though he didn't play well, although I think its on the o-line as much as the QB. Bummer too. The O-Line has been pretty strong for Oregon State this year.

Oregon had better take care of business now.

the qb got no protection. he was just getting punished. of course you don't win like that.

Riley went w/ Cody Vaz pretty much all night even though he didn't play well, although I think its on the o-line as much as the QB. Bummer too. The O-Line has been pretty strong for Oregon State this year.

Several times in the last 10 minutes, not sure any QB could have made plays in that situation, few times the defenders were on him almost as fast as if no one was guarding him at all.

Archived