Video Games: You Game Like a Young Man, With Nothing Held Back. Admirable, But Mistaken.

Sivin

there is a lot of duped gear out there on unchecked servers. i like the challenge of playing the game right. so, if i stumble upon something that is entirely too rare to be found so easily or something that is obviously not even in the game i will just ditch it. i have no problem taking a sweet assault rifle and just dropping it in a pond or hiding it in the forest.

hell, yesterday i found my first ever coyote backpack. it is the largest pack in the game. after months of playing i finally found one. but, i play fair.

i am not a shoot on sight kind of player, usually. sometimes i will spawn with the plans of just going into electro getting a rifle and just fucking with some people. but, those days are rare. mostly i like the sneaking around in predawn or dusk hours, avoiding other players, getting some gear and making my way in the world.

right now i am outfitted with a silenced mp-5. it is whisper quiet. it takes down zombies with headshots with ease. i have enjoyed stalking the airfield with that gathering gear.

I might just be lucky but I've encountered a few coyote backpacks. My basic strategy when I spawn along the southern coast is to go straight north towards NW airfield. I check every deer stand I can on the way which is sometimes where I find the coyote backpacks I once found a GPS in a deer stand too, that's a 0.2% chance. If it's a spawn closer to Solnichiy I head up to Berezino looking for vehicles. I've only found silenced MP5s a few times but when I do I have next to no ammo for it. Maybe one mag that came with it but I hardly ever find MP5 SD mags. I love having silenced guns though.

i am a pretty good shot, so one mag from the silenced mp5 will last me a while. i am a one shot one kill kind of player when facing zombies. the barracks at the airfield and the starry military tents will often yield me a mag for the mp5. currently i have four i think. for a sidearm i am fine with the markov. it is shitty damage, but a headshot kills a zombie and ammo is so easy to find. i typically like to have some form of m-16 or ak in my backpack as well for taking on players should it come to it.

sniper rifles are not that useful to me. i like the power they provide, but my play style does not include sniping. once in a while i will take a anti-sniper role and post up on one of the hills while a partner raids the town for gear. for that i am fine with just a dmr or a m-14.

If I wanted to do that I'd play Dishonored. I don't think the OP superman stealth guy thing works for a game like FC3. I just hate Far Cry, always have probably always will.

Crysis and Far Cry are like the same game. Just with aliens and North Koreans and your super-suit in FC is a Hawaiian shirt.

Hate to bring back an old discussion, but while looking up further information on getting Leviathan for ME3 (I did, btw; haven't reached a point in the game where I thought it would be appropriate story-wise to play it yet though) I discovered the following facts about the next DLC for the game:

1) It will be the last single-player DLC

2) All 8 of the main writers are working on it

3) The lead composer, Sam Hulick, has been brought back to write music for it (he hasn't been involved in any DLC up until this point).

3a) Sam Hulick said it'll have a "high potential for tears" (unknown if he means the DLC itself or just the music though).

4) Seth Green and the VAs for Ashley and Kaiden have all recently said they're doing VA work for Bioware (presumably for this).

After the bullshit Bioware's pulled I refuse to jump to any conclusions, but all this would seem to be awfully large investment for just another sidequest.

Also started Far Cry 3 yesterday. I wasn't impressed in the beginning, but by an hour and a half in I already felt the addiction kicking in. The voice acting is really good (especially Vas and Dennis), although the story itself so far is pretty hum-drum, and the main character makes me want to punch him in the face every time he says "ewwww" from skinning an animal. I mean honestly, I've probably skinned fifty animals by now, and killed just as many humans. You'd think he would have manned up a little bit.

That's part of his thematic development. There's a sort-of interesting thing they do in the game about how your character becomes gradually desensitised to violence and how other people react to it. It's interesting, though handled better in other games.

The thing stopping me from getting Far Cry 3 is I already have a FPS in an open island setting with better graphics and more aliens. It's called Crysis and it came out in 2007...

Far Cry 3 is comprehensively superior to Crysis on almost every level, apart only from the graphics (and FC3's are still pretty damn good).

Hate to bring back an old discussion, but while looking up further information on getting Leviathan for ME3 (I did, btw; haven't reached a point in the game where I thought it would be appropriate story-wise to play it yet though) I discovered the following facts about the next DLC for the game:

1) It will be the last single-player DLC

2) All 8 of the main writers are working on it

3) The lead composer, Sam Hulick, has been brought back to write music for it (he hasn't been involved in any DLC up until this point).

3a) Sam Hulick said it'll have a "high potential for tears" (unknown if he means the DLC itself or just the music though).

4) Seth Green and the VAs for Ashley and Kaiden have all recently said they're doing VA work for Bioware (presumably for this).

After the bullshit Bioware's pulled I refuse to jump to any conclusions, but all this would seem to be awfully large investment for just another sidequest.

I watched a 2 hours YouTube clip making the case that extended cut actually improves the case for the indoctrination theory, and bioware/ea are milking the controversy still and will eventually resolve it.

If you are bored on the far side of the world to your normal entertainment outlets the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKCkSC-Os4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the problem with indoctrination theory is the same as with the canon endings: the choices the player made during the game don't matter a damn. The canon ending has a progress bar that turns every choice into a +10 war asset item, sterilizing it, removing it from the narrative and turning the choice into an arbitrary abstraction. The indoctrination theory makes any choice the player made up to that moment pointless. You might as well have let sovereign activate the citadel in the first game for all the difference it makes.

In the weeks immediately after the game came out, I believed in the introduction theory. For quite a lot of reasons, including logistics, the bad publicity, that "behind the scenes" app/article, etc., I changed my mind and now firmly believe that it just came down to shitty writing. It was confirmed a long time ago that there was going to be a sequence where Shepard became indoctrinated but was cut due to programming difficulties, and I think a lot of the evidence for the theory is based on elements that were going to lead up to that sequence. Also, if this was planned, I would've thought it would already be all written out and they wouldn't have needed to bring back in all the writers just a few weeks ago.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware is going to retcon the ending; whether based on the introduction theory that fans have created or be something completely new. Like I was saying earlier, they've kind of written themselves into a hole sequel-wise, and its pretty clear ME4 is going to be a sequel, so they gotta do something I would think.

Or maybe not. But I don't know what else could justify the amount of resources they're putting into it (Mac Walters tweeted that "its all hands on deck").

Even though I dislike the ending, I feel like I'm coming around. I actually like the fact that what you did has no effect. Yes, Bioware shouldn't have lied and said it did matter, which is just wrong. But, I like the sense that nothing you did mattered, and you knew that while you were doing it, but you did it anyway.

Question for people: I rarely ever use my 360 any more but I've got a little over 1200 MS points still left on my account. Any exclusive --as in not available on Steam where I do most my gaming these days-- Xbox LIVE games worth spending the points on or should I use the points to buy the ME3 Omega DLC instead?

Question for people: I rarely ever use my 360 any more but I've got a little over 1200 MS points still left on my account. Any exclusive --as in not available on Steam where I do most my gaming these days-- Xbox LIVE games worth spending the points on or should I use the points to buy the ME3 Omega DLC instead?

Get Bastion immediately if you haven't played it. No idea if its exclusive to XBLA though. But if its on Steam and you haven't played it, get it there immediately.

ETA: Also the game 'Fez' (no relation).

i am a pretty good shot, so one mag from the silenced mp5 will last me a while. i am a one shot one kill kind of player when facing zombies. the barracks at the airfield and the starry military tents will often yield me a mag for the mp5. currently i have four i think. for a sidearm i am fine with the markov. it is shitty damage, but a headshot kills a zombie and ammo is so easy to find. i typically like to have some form of m-16 or ak in my backpack as well for taking on players should it come to it.

sniper rifles are not that useful to me. i like the power they provide, but my play style does not include sniping. once in a while i will take a anti-sniper role and post up on one of the hills while a partner raids the town for gear. for that i am fine with just a dmr or a m-14.

ARRRGH! Where can I find more information about this pending exclusive title? You guys have got me very interested, but I have no intentions of paying $30 for a game I only intend to mod, and even then only until the real version is released.

ETA: Are any of you guys gonna make a new thread? I'd do it, but I made this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived