Has Theon deserved all that happened to him for betraying Winterfell?

What Theon deserved was a good clean death for treason and murder, not to be tortured by some sick bastard.

Indeed. A modest level of torture would have been acceptable. Cutting off a man's most prized possession, making him a cripple, and making him think being an animal is a step up in life is just sadistic. I don't think there is any "Theon" left. The few times Reek has reverted it is only because he was commanded to do so and was playing a role. I believe he is wholeheartedly "Reek" and that "Theon" will not be coming back....too much damage has been done to his mind, body, and spirit. The best we can hope for is that he betrays Ramsay in one final act of good before experiencing a quick death.

Robb could have given him a clean, quick death if he thought Theon deserved it. Ned taught them this:

If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.

Ramsay, on the other hand, treated and tortured Theon like a lowly animal and turned him into his creature and plaything. That was sick. Did Theon deserve all of that? He deserved death for being a betrayer and a turncloak, but not becoming Ramsay's pet.

Theon was caught in an impossible situation. He never asked to given over to the Starks...he was a prisoner of war. He had to option of defying his family or betraying a sworn enemy of his family. I think that any of us would likely have done what Theon did, as far as choosing his family. However, he went over the top in conquering Winterfell and effectively costing Robb the war. He could have simply did as he was bid and raided the coast.

All of that having been said, Theon's fate is of his own making and is pretty proportionate with what befell Robb, Cat, and the rest of the Northmen.

I think we're really overlooking the victim in all of this: Poor Ramsay. He has few friends early in life, and then his closest one is taken from him. What's he supposed to do, give up?? Disney would never make a movie out of that. :o. So when Theon just walks up acting like Reek, what's he supposed to do?! Ignore it?? And when he graciously and kindly took Reek back into his heart and home after ensuring to his dermatological needs, the ungrateful wretch starts WHINING about having too many fingers! I mean, what's poor, Ramsay to do, let him suffer this problem?? So out of the goodness of his heart, he acceded to Reek's requests, even allowing him to change his name from Theon to Reek! And then, to top it all off, the ungrateful bum just left his trueborn lord!! After all that was done for him!! I think we should all just recognize Theon for what he is: a cruel and demanding piece of crud who took advantage of Ramsay's generosity, and then dropped him like a hot grenade, without cause. Poor, poor Ramsay.

Theon murdered two children and mounted their tarred heads on the gates of Winterfell. He may have even unknowingly murdered his own son, which is kinslaying. I just don't see how there's any sympathy for him. Lots of people have crap lives or bad relationships with their family, but almost none of those people murder children.

Theon deserved what he got. Especially if he murdered the children in front of one or both of their parents before killing the parents.

Indeed. A modest level of torture would have been acceptable. Cutting off a man's most prized possession, making him a cripple, and making him think being an animal is a step up in life is just sadistic. I don't think there is any "Theon" left. The few times Reek has reverted it is only because he was commanded to do so and was playing a role. I believe he is wholeheartedly "Reek" and that "Theon" will not be coming back....too much damage has been done to his mind, body, and spirit. The best we can hope for is that he betrays Ramsay in one final act of good before experiencing a quick death.

:leaving:

Theon Greyjoy was raised like a son and a brother by the Starks in Winterfell.

He should have shown respect and gratitude to his "foster parents". Not taken their castle.

But I wish Theon will have an opportunity to redeem himself of this betrayal against the Boltons.

There is no way though he can redeem himself for murdering two little children.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about Theon today, how few people can go from being totally vilified to be the the victim of atrocious acts by Ramsay.

Honestly what this guy suffered from the Boltons, what he was before and what he has become after Ramsay's torture...poor Reek.

Aged and psychologically scarred, defeated and humiliated in a situation he had no control over, he was just trying to survive a little sadistic tyrant.

It's just shocking and I bet will make for one of the most intense / emotional scenes in the TV show (season 5 years away...)

I think we're really overlooking the victim in all of this: Poor Ramsay. He has few friends early in life, and then his closest one is taken from him. What's he supposed to do, give up?? Disney would never make a movie out of that. :o. So when Theon just walks up acting like Reek, what's he supposed to do?! Ignore it?? And when he graciously and kindly took Reek back into his heart and home after ensuring to his dermatological needs, the ungrateful wretch starts WHINING about having too many fingers! I mean, what's poor, Ramsay to do, let him suffer this problem?? So out of the goodness of his heart, he acceded to Reek's requests, even allowing him to change his name from Theon to Reek! And then, to top it all off, the ungrateful bum just left his trueborn lord!! After all that was done for him!! I think we should all just recognize Theon for what he is: a cruel and demanding piece of crud who took advantage of Ramsay's generosity, and then dropped him like a hot grenade, without cause. Poor, poor Ramsay.

10/10 best post. Close the thread, he's won it. ahaha!

But seriously Theon shouldn't have been such an idiotic bitch when he showed up at Pyke, convinced his father (Or removed him) and then gone ahead with the original plan. He got what he deserved and more, killing kids is bad but he's had a fate worse than death. Also we don't actually know he's be neutered so it could play a role in the heir of Pyke...

He didn't got what he deserved that much i am certain.Killing those kids is bad but look to big picture.He captured WF which led Robb to sleep with Jeyne and Cat just lost it and released Kingslayer then as this things happen Boltons and Lannisters planned the RW and at the same time WF was taken by Bastard and Rodrik was killed.And don't forget he killed Mikken and what he did led the death of all the people who was treated him as a friend or family.So losing his fingers or being treated like an animal is nothing because of him nearl all northern army got killed in a way ofcourse Robb and Cat were responsible for some but if it wasn't RW then Lannisters and Boltons would find another way to kill them and all because of Theons stupid fantsy to become a song or a legend. :bang:

One of the nice things about reading fiction is that you can revel in the satisfaction of poetic justice without getting your hands dirty.

You can feel a thrill of just vengeance when Vargo Hoat gets chopped up like he did to so many innocents, can nod in appreciation when the vile Viserys gets crowned with molten gold and can rub your hands in glee when Theon gets his just deserts for things like his despicable treatment of honorable lord Rodrrik's daughter and the miller's kids. But you can still sit back and say :"Hey, it's not my fault, it's the route the story has taken. I would never chop a guy's limbs off and chuck him in a bear pit. A clean death is what I would have given him"

But that doesn't change the fact that deep down you are satisfied that the punishment fits the crime rather neatly.

So I try to be more honest with myself. I didn't write the story, but I'm glad Rhaegar Frey got eaten. And I'm glad Theon is suffering as much as he is.

He is a vile little shit, and deserved far worse for what he did.

I am normally a very balanced person, but he deserved all of it, every second of it. His Pride and his Ambition not only led him onto his dark road, but it also caused him to burn every bridge he had ever built, to win the favor of a people that would never respect him anyway ....

Flay him, burn him, hurt him, kill him, His redemption must end with a clean death!!!

I was fine with a bit of torture for Theon, but not to the extent that he suffered. He didn't deserve to have whatever awful thing happened downstairs, or to have to bathe in shit IMO. I was glad when Roose showed Robb a bit of his skin, but flaying a few fingers was probably enough punishment for him. I can't, for the life of me, understand how some people still want him to suffer. Come on, he was NOWHERE near as bad as Vargo Hoat or Gregor Clegane. Hell, even I felt a little bad for Vargo when I found out how he was tortured.

I know right! And when Ramsay introduced his hounds to Jeyne Poole, hoping she would like them, that little slut decided to get intimate with them!

No, truly no one deserves what Theon got. It is not fully spelled out in the text but I'm quite sure Ramsey flayed then cut off Theon's dick, probably leaving him with his two boys; that is probably crueler then just taking everything, leave him with the needs of a man with no way to ever satisfy those needs. Not only is that Ramsey's style, but there is no mention of Theon taking on the appearance of a full on eunuch.

Theon deserved punishment, but months and months of physical and psychological torture at the hands of someone like Ramsey is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Theon should of been beheaded by the Stark who gave the order, or made to take the Black. Totally typical of GRRM to dangle a fairly just fate in front of Theon (when Luwin nearly had him convinced to run and take the Black) then take it away to something much much worse (Ramsey, yo).

Archived