Was Geoff a good fighter (with a sword) ?

Spotted Cat

I think Robb must have beaten Joffrey quite badly to openly taunt Joffrey the way he did. Robb was probably going a little easy on him too, so I think Joffrey was probably far below average without much interest in swordfighting.

Da Fuq?

Joff, taunted Robb, not vice versa.

All Robb said to him in return was "You got better than you gave" in a defensive, childish matter.

It came off imo as a near match with Robb being slightly better.

But we "knew" Jon was the swordsman of the kids and not Robb.

I agree except that I think Joffrey knew that Ser Rodrik would never allow live steel so he just suggested it to shame Robb.

I've thought about that, but I don't see Joff being a forward enough thinker to come to that conclusion, it seems legit to me that Joff was just full enough of himself to think that he could win,

Maybe he planned on fighting dishonorably?

Retconn?

Plus he was probably pretty sure that IF he got his wish, nobody would dare to cut him anyway (while he would be able to). He may be technically good, but he isn't fighter, more of a bully, and probably not as physically fit as those who "live by the sword".

Robb's already shown a willingness to hit him, and after taunting and angering him even Joff has to know he'll be struck.

By "Bully" do you mean similar to Ramsay?

I'm wondering if he's underrated as a fighter, or what

Its ironic that Jaimies son decided to take up the crossbow a weapon that he hated, he hated archers in general. Joffrey was the sort of fellow that thought if he had a nice sword that meant he was hot shit. He seemed like he was overcompensating for something.

There's not much to suggest he's a horrible fighter, as he lost to Robb, which isn't really that embarrasing, considering Robb was pretty good (as well as older). However, there is a lot to suggest that he was most likely a wimp, so I don't think it would've really mattered.

Its ironic that Jaimies son decided to take up the crossbow a weapon that he hated, he hated archers in general. Joffrey was the sort of fellow that thought if he had a nice sword that meant he was hot shit. He seemed like he was overcompensating for something.

Nice, never thought about that comparison before. He even tells that boy to give it up.

“The crossbow is a coward’s weapon.”

while the lad stood silent, his crossbow under his arm. “Take up the spear or maul,” Jaime told him, “they’ll serve you better.” The boy stared at him distrustfully. So much for friendly advice.

Joff has a knack for giving cheesy names to expensive swords but as to his fighting skills, they are not that memorable. We hardly see him practice in KL. Tommen used to ride the quintains with Loras and the other knights. Joff would spend his time killing hares with a crossbow.

Nah, Joff + Sword fighting = :bs:

And if he had lived he wouldn't of improved. He probably do basic stuff in the yard, and feel cocky about it, but would never live up with a real fight. Too abrasive, arrogant, wimpy, low work ethic (making others do it for him or too lazy to practice himself) hiding behind a title, only try and fight with those weaker or lower status than him etc etc. I mean, he picked a fight with Mycah because he knew Mycah couldn't do anything about it, he had to oblige to his future king and hurting him would lead to severe punishment. It was immediate doom no matter what.

If any of Jaime's kids were to have inherited his skills, it would likely be the ones people would never of thought of = Marcella and Tommen. Marcella was very smart and physicaly sturdy, Tommen had a natural interest in knightly activities and genuinely tried. Of course, because one is a girl and the other is a plump softy second-son no one would actually try to officially train them :huh:

Joff has a knack for giving cheesy names to expensive swords but as to his fighting skills, they are not that memorable. We hardly see him practice in KL. Tommen used to ride the quintains with Loras and the other knights. Joff would spend his time killing hares with a crossbow.

Yeah, but that "Lion's Tooth" sword deserves to be recognized as a wondrous sword. It is a seemingly sentient sword with the sense and conviction to leave Joffery.

Robb's already shown a willingness to hit him, and after taunting and angering him even Joff has to know he'll be struck.

To hit him with blunt sword over the padding. Not the same as with sharp sword. If it came to sharp swords, anyone facing him would know that if he as much as draws blood, his life is forfeit. It would be similar situation to the first Dunk and Egg story and Kingsguard being able to only defend themselves when facing someone of the royal family, even in "life and death" melee.

By "Bully" do you mean similar to Ramsay?

Ramsay is pure psychopat.

Joff is a bully who was never told "no". If someone stands to him, he doesn't know wt to do and often backs off the confrontation - like when Tyrion repeatedly defies him. He presses issue only when feeling secure with enough cronies around.

Joff is a bully who was never told "no". If someone stands to him, he doesn't know wt to do and often backs off the confrontation - like when Tyrion repeatedly defies him. He presses issue only when feeling secure with enough cronies around.

he is a bit more than a Bully...

Archived