Was Geoff a good fighter (with a sword) ?

Spotted Cat

I'd say nay, mostly based off the scene where Arya and Nymeria disarm him. Granted, I don't remember the scene all that vividly, so I don't remember how it went down exactly, but when a nine year old girl(who had no arms training at this point) disarms you...

Though to be fair she had a direwolf pup with her.

Arya didn't actually disarm him. Nymeria jump at him and bit stuck to his arm. Although it is reasonable to think that Joffrey isn't much of a warrior, but we actually never see him in action. His father is supposedly one of if not the best in the realm (when all limbs are stuck to his body) and those things could be genetic. But he has been so spoiled in his life that it's hard to believe he wouldn't just give up if a fight went against him or someone hit him.

Joffery was destroyed in the yard by Robb at Winterfell and then he is disarmed by a girl who had never had a second of training with the sword. Joffery was probably ok with a sword but nothing special, if he went against Jon with real swords he wouldn't last a minute most likely. I remember Jon chomping at the bit to get in there and mix it up with Joff when he was talking trash to Robb after Robb had beat him.

Edit: Thats right, it was the wolf that disarmed him. But Robb still beat him

Who is Geoff?

Joffrey?

He was disarmed by Arya with a stick.

sorry fellows

ya its joffrey. Joffry Bratheon the first of his name, king of andals, rhoynar and the first men etc etc.

(my spelling isnt that great. we dont have Joffreys here at any case)

That's what I was going to say about him facing Robb in the yard though to be fair while Joffrey has the height and likely reach on him Robb is a couple(?) of years older and that counts for a lot at that age.

That said he's lazy and spoiled. He talks about how he's going to be a great jouster yet outside of Winterfell we never see him in the yard. While that may come across as just Martin leaving it out we see too much of him to discount it. At his age he should be spending hours and hours in the yard working on his skills, building muscle, stamina. Yet all we ever see him do is play with his crossbows.

Doesn't matter whether he had any natural talent. He was an indulged brat that was always going to have a Hound standing behind him to do his fighting for him.

When Tyrion gave him the book for his wedding gift, I thought GRRM made a point to show how inept at arms and a big talker Joffrey was by not being able to get through it with his Valyrian steel sword without hacking at it like a madman. Tyrion even realizes after Joffreys quote of "I'm no stranger to Valyrian steel" to his murder attempt on Bran, in a show of how stupid and clueless Joffrey really is.

Archived