Ways Jon Could Legally / Gracefully Leave The Night's Watch

Dolorous Nedd

It seems highly likely, assuming Jon actually survives or is resurrected, that he will have bigger fish to fry than staying LC of the NW. The question is how could he legally get out of it. Some suggestions I have seen make sense...

1. The Wall falls and the NW is discontinued.

2. He actually dies and is resurrected.

3. Robb legitimized him and requests him to be Lord of Winterfell.

Would him officially dying release him of his vows even if he is brought back? Would Robb's legitimizing him be binding? Even if it was would that release him from his vows? Is it even possible that a failed murder attempt by his own men would be enough? So many questions and so much time to ponder it!

Many people believe that if he trully die (and later get resurrected) it will be enough and Jon will be free from his oath, but as Dolorous Edd foreshow:

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

Dying is not an excuse, so get up Lord Snow you have a War to fight and a Wall to rule :P

Many people believe that if he trully die (and later get resurrected) it will be enough and Jon will be free from his oath, but as Dolorous Edd foreshow:

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

Dying is not an excuse, so get up Lord Snow you have a War to fight and a Wall to rule :P

I think thats it, I dont think what has happened is going to stop Jon from wanting to do his part for the NW. He may rid it of it cancers like Marsh & CO. But he definitaly is not turning his back on it.

I don't think there will be a graceful ending of Jon's service in the NW. Even with Robb's will I think he will carry a reputation for the rest of his life and he'll understand that and he will live with it. His remembering the Halfhand's lesson again in Dance was for a reason.

“Our honor means no more than our lives, so long as the realm is safe. Are you a man of the Night’s Watch?”

No he's not because the NW is broken beyond repair and his hiding on the Wall will serve no one well.

I am the sword that guards the realm of men, Jon reminded himself, and in the end, that must be worth more than one man’s honor.

PLEASE NO UNJONS! PLEASE!

I really dont know. I dont see Jon abusing a loophole here...its not how he rolls. If anything, i think he will do one of three things:

1. Say "Fuck the police" and walk away regardless.

2. If he got legitimized by Robb's will, he will walk away from the Watch to fight the battle he was intending to fight before things got stabby.

3. Stannis letting him out of his vows.

Im leaning toward number 1.

PLEASE NO UNJONS! PLEASE!

I really dont know. I dont see Jon abusing a loophole here...its not how he rolls. If anything, i think he will do one of three things:

1. Say "Fuck the police" and walk away regardless.

2. If he got legitimized by Robb's will, he will walk away from the Watch to fight the battle he was intending to fight before things got stabby.

3. Stannis letting him out of his vows.

Im leaning toward number 1.

Didn't the app confirm that he was legitimized? Or am I making this up?

Didn't the app confirm that he was legitimized? Or am I making this up?

What good does being legitimized if no one knows, and those who do aren't around. And just cause he is legitimized doesn't mean he can walk away. Robbs plan was to send a hundred man in Jon's place iirc.

I hate the "get out on an undead technicality" idea. Possible it could happen, sure, but I think it's a cop-out. I can see Jon getting out if the northmen decide to honor Chekov's will — they're the ones who'd be in charge, practically, of punishing a Watch deserter, so it'd be on them to enforce Robb's will by letting Jon go. Also possible that the Watch ceases to exist.

I also admit that I find Florina's "Fuck the police" option attractive.

What good does being legitimized if no one knows, and those who do aren't around. And just cause he is legitimized doesn't mean he can walk away. Robbs plan was to send a hundred man in Jon's place iirc.

You might go look at the Great Northern Conspiracy thread. People do know.

I hate the "get out on an undead technicality" idea. Possible it could happen, sure, but I think it's a cop-out. I can see Jon getting out if the northmen decide to honor Chekov's will — they're the ones who'd be in charge, practically, of punishing a Watch deserter, so it'd be on them to enforce Robb's will by letting Jon go. Also possible that the Watch ceases to exist.

You might go look at the Great Northern Conspiracy thread. People do know.

But I don't think thats what Jon wants. I think he IS content serving the NW. But if the wall does fall and the NW ceases to exsist then yea. Other than that I cant see him leaving

What good does being legitimized if no one knows, and those who do aren't around.

Most of the people who witnessed Robb affix his seal to his will are still around; Jason Mallister, Galbert Glover, the Greatjon, Edmure Tully, Maege Mormont.

Wouldn't Rikkon being found make Robb's will void?

Depends how it's worded.

If it says something like "Jon Snow, now Jon Stark, is named my heir ahead of all my trueborn siblings" then the will isn't affected.

Wouldn't Rikkon being found make Robb's will void?

This is something I ask but never really got an answer to, there is also the possibility that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's heir, what then? I would love answers to these questions.

Archived