Ways Jon Could Legally / Gracefully Leave The Night's Watch

Dolorous Nedd

He'll be unconcious for sometime, but not too much, because he would be buried alive.

He'll be with the Wildlings, because the wilidling will fight Marsh and his minions (sounds stupid, Marsh minions, lol)

He'll march with the free people over Winterfell and the Boltons, and he'll go to the Riverlands, I think he'll meet Dany there, Dany's had a dream about the Others in the Riverlands, we can asume Jon and Dany will meet there and will fight the others (I wonder if they'll fight each other somehow)

I agree it would awful for him to be resurrected as a zombie like unCat.

My theory Is that because Cat took life from Beric who was at that point far from his former self, she became messed up, however if jon got the kiss of life from Melisandre then he wouldn't be like un cat, he would be like beric when he was fist revived, so prety normal

a couple of things,

i know there is the story of the starks having to team up with wildlings to take on the nights king but is there one where the watch has to stop an evil stark? i vaguely remember this but i think i might have imagined it.

anyhow, i dont think jon broke his vows with ygritte because of his endless internal monologhue of the halfhands commands, ok technically he does fall in love with her but other than hoping he isnt the one to kill her in the attack on castle black he is still pretty set that the wildlings have to die.

i also dont think he broke his vows when he declared the march on ramsay because ramsay threatened the watch, thats not taking part in the affairs of the realm in hand thats defending yourself. ramsay says im coming and jon says fair enough then we will ride out and kick your ass

i dont think he is dead so assuming that to be true, he is now lord commander jon stark, not king in the north because either sam will finally tell him bran aint dead or manderly will tell him rickon aint dead if he even considers taking it.

i dont think beric was normal 1st time he was revived, for once he was missing an eye, something like that can mess you up. for second he started a rebel band, and they refused to return arya to safety.

Naa iirc Thoros mentions how his memory only got worse the more he was resurected, too start with it wasn't that bad. don't diss the BWB they are awesome, also my memory is shady on this matter but didn't they plan to return Arya to cat in due corse??

There simply is no way for Jon to leave the Watch honorably. The other Northmen could strongarm the Watch and decide that their swords changes the rules but given the history of the Northmen and the Watch this is probably unlikley. But other than that Jon is given as being a member of the Watch. Provided he don't get out on becoming undead.

There is no legal or graceful way to leave the Nights Watch. That's the whole point of the organization. Robb planned to use Cersei's dismissal of Barristan from the Kings Guard (itself a serve-for-life institution) as precedent for getting Jon to leave. Legally this works if and only if Robb's Kingship is recognized by the members of the Nights Watch because a Kings word is law and Robb's will can therefore unwrite hundreds of years of precedent if he so wishes. If Jon decided to take Robb's offer than he would have a legal out but most of Westeros and much of the Nights Watch would view him as a oathbreaker anyway.

However, to those saying it's against Jon's character to leave anyway: you're wrong. Jon has already broken his vow once to protect the realm, both figuratively by working with Mance and literally by sleeping with Ygritte. And he planned to do so again. His last act as Lord Commander is saying "Fuck my Vows, my sister is in trouble and I'm gonna fix that!". He intends to fight Boton, which is explictedly against his vows and take the Wildlings with him which probably violates the spirit of the vows a little bit. But Jon recognizes the truth of the matter, vows are words and words are wind, one man's honour is not worth more than the safety of the realm.

1. The Wall falls and the NW is discontinued.

2. He actually dies and is resurrected.

3. Robb legitimized him and requests him to be Lord of Winterfell.

your watch ends when you die.

period.

1. Even if the Wall falls down, the Night's Watch will continue to exist

2. he is not dead, and if he dies, he will not be resurrected; and even if he's resurrected as a human being, that doesn't release him from his duties

3. if he's legitimized as Lord Of Winterfell, it's up to him, and he won't leave the NW; he didn't do it when Stannis asked; as Mormont said: are you a man of the Night's Watch, or a bastard boy who wants to play at war?

My theory Is that because Cat took life from Beric who was at that point far from his former self, she became messed up, however if jon got the kiss of life from Melisandre then he wouldn't be like un cat, he would be like beric when he was fist revived, so prety normal

Interesting.. I always thought she was messed up because she went completley mad when the killed Robb. I mean she sawed through a frey, clawed her eyes out and was worried about her hair in the moment of her death. When she was resurected, which she was gone longer than Beric ever was, she had gone completley mad.

I don't think Jon will get a Rhallor wake up like Beric/UnCat. We have seen three types of resurections thus far, Drowned God, R'hallor, and the Great other with the white walkers. I think the other proven "God" or force will resurect Jon, if needed, and that is the Old Gods.

I don't think Jon actually has to leave the Nights Watch. If you read Bran's chapter in ASOS where he meets Sam at the Black Gate, Sam has to say the Vows of the Watch but he doesn't say shit about holding no lands or being King. Just the sword in the darkness, the light that brings the Dawn, horn that wakes the sleeper's and the fire that burns against the cold.

The original Nights Watch Vow is the one Sam's has to say to the Black Gate not the vow that is said at present time. No where in the original vow does it say Jon cant be King or hold lands. I believe the vow was changed after the Night King was brought down.

But The Wall itself only knows the original vow as we've seen at the Black Gate so that's the only Vow that matters.

Interesting.. I always thought she was messed up because she went completley mad when the killed Robb. I mean she sawed through a frey, clawed her eyes out and was worried about her hair in the moment of her death. When she was resurected, which she was gone longer than Beric ever was, she had gone completley mad.

I don't think Jon will get a Rhallor wake up like Beric/UnCat. We have seen three types of resurections thus far, Drowned God, R'hallor, and the Great other with the white walkers. I think the other proven "God" or force will resurect Jon, if needed, and that is the Old Gods.

oh yeah good point, it could also be because she was dead for a long time. or maybe a mixture of both, that said beric must have been dead for a while after the first time the mountain killed him in the ambush

her irational attitude towards briene sugests to me that she isn't ok in the head

Nothing irrational about it. She's perfectly (if coldly and ruthlessly) rational, on the matter. The material evidence makes Brienne seem guilty as hell. Yet she still got a chance to prove her loyalty by killing Jaime. She refused so she was condemned. Completely rational behaviour by UnCat given that unlike us readers she has no access to Brienne's thoughts.

Things seem to be leading up to a final showdown with the Others, one in which the Wall could potentially fall and/or what's left of the Night's Watch could be wiped out. In any event, the NW is on its last legs. They were severely depleted even before half of them marched north with Mormont, and half of those guys didn't make it back. The skeleton crew that's left is nowhere near enough to effectively guard the Wall. In the aftermath of the upcoming confrontation with the Others, I think the Night's Watch will probably be disbanded or become a very different entity. If the Others are ultimately defeated, the NW will be obselete.

Archived