Is this impression of Serena Williams a form of blackface?

Addien

Seems like Addien is saying the opposite, that it is racist.

I think what's unclear is if this was a friendly imitation or an attack by a rival.

Ah. No. I had written a post explaining why people thought that it was racist. Which I then deleted because Addien more or less had the same point. That wasn't my personal view.

That was the reason that the otherwise meaningless quoted passage from straits was there. In retrospect I should have just deleted them both.

Seems like Addien is saying the opposite, that it is racist.

I think what's unclear is if this was a friendly imitation or an attack by a rival.

I have been trying to find a copy of the CBC broadcast of the story on tonight's news, but it's not loading for some reason. Apparently, yes, it was friendly, Wozniacki is known as someone who imitates everyone, pranks like that are done all the time. In my searching I also see that it was Fox has been pushing this as racist.

I have been trying to find a copy of the CBC broadcast of the story on tonight's news, but it's not loading for some reason. Apparently, yes, it was friendly, Wozniacki is known as someone who imitates everyone, pranks like that are done all the time. In my searching I also see that it was Fox has been pushing this as racist.

Wait. Fox? Or do you mean that they're pushing this as liberals getting hysterical about racism? Because that makes more sense to me.

Isn't this like a white guy taping his eyelids to imitate a Chinese friend? It may have just been a harmless prank between friends but antics like this may be better off behind closed doors? Doing it at what I assume must have been a televised event does propagate certain harmful stereotypes.

Isn't this like a white guy taping his eyelids to imitate a Chinese friend? It may have just been a harmless prank between friends but antics like this may be better off behind closed doors? Doing it at what I assume must have been a televised event does propagate certain harmful stereotypes.

What stereotype?

What stereotype?

Well, there is the usual fat-shaming, the hyper-sexualisation of black women's bodies, the understanding that black women are stereotypically "thicker" and also the fact that this is not the first time that Serena Williams has been mocked or critiqued over her body.

Well, there is the usual fat-shaming, the hyper-sexualisation of black women's bodies, the understanding that black women are stereotypically "thicker" and also the fact that this is not the first time that Serena Williams has been mocked or critiqued over her body.

None of the references to race are needed in this description, nor are they implied by what actually happened.

There's no racial stereotype here. You don't need to be black to have big tits.

So then this should have been done behind closed doors as well:

And what Shryke said right above.

There are a lot of things that still need to be worked on in this world, professional athletes mocking each other like this is not one of them.

None of the references to race are needed in this description, nor are they implied by what actually happened.

There's no racial stereotype here. You don't need to be black to have big tits.

You don't need to be Jewish to have a hooked nose and curly black hair ether, but it is an accepted shorthand when depicting Judists.

Shryke and 3CA - That is sort of coming at it backwards, though? Just because you don't have to be X to have 'characteristic associated with X-related stereotype' doesn't automatically negate that the stereotype exists. The association of black women with secondary sexual characteristics that are 'exaggerated', 'unnatural', or however white-default you want to put it, is hardly new or judgement-neutral. It also ties in to the stereotypes of black women being 'up for it' or more freely sexually available.

(Do I think that this is what Wozniacki was thinking about or intended? No. That doesn't mean I can't see the reasons for the criticism.)

Honestly, had Serena even been present that might have put a different spin on things. Mocking someone who isn't even there, especially at a major public event, is pretty much by definition more than just friends joking around among themselves.

Winter

But it wasn't a shorthand depicting black female, it was a shorthand depicting Serena Williams. If there was a tennis player with a hooked nose and she depicted that specific individual like that, it wouldn't be racist as well.

You don't need to be Jewish to have a hooked nose and curly black hair ether, but it is an accepted shorthand when depicting Judists.

And big tits aren't an accepted shorthand for blackness.

I think the combined facts that:

* Serena wasn't there,

*it's a little skinny blonde chic mocking her,

*black women are often stereotyped in this same way, and

*it was a very public event all combine to send a racist message.

That probably wasn't her intent (Or maybe it was, I don't know.), but it was in extremely poor taste and was cruel at best. At worst, it was racist and cruel.

Archived