Confessions...Say What! V.9

Winter's Knight

Oh don't worry, I could never leave! Someone has to defend Dany and the Jon/Dany ship! :P

Good, my blood pressure is back to normal. For what it's worth, I've taken breaks of a couple days more than once.

Not "rage," exactly, but nothing channels my inner Roose like writing off a major POV as a boring, cliched plot contrivance who never does anything because their entire arc is full of boring, cliched plot contrivances.

Also, I've found some recent things written about Sansa to be breathtaking. Not in a good way.

Add in writing off a major POV as nothing but a set of eyes and ears and I'm in complete agreement. Whether you enjoy a character or not, I still think that a substantial portion of the characters we meet in the first two books are important in their own way, especially those who are given POVs. I can only call plot contrivances those with a small role or those who seem to exist for a very specific purpose later in the books. To write off any of the major POVs as anything less than complex, full-formed characters ticks me off.

And I've found some recent things written about Sansa to be incredibly disappointing, not at all surprising.

Shipping: Putting two characters together and hoping they get together in the story. Sometimes with almost religious fervor. Example: JaimeFan44: "Jaime/Brienne better be a thing or else im gonna send hate mail to the author! I SHIP IT SO HARD!!!"

Stanning: (this one is relatively new to me as well.) Apparently, the term was taken from South Park. Means Obsessive Fan over one or more particular characters. Often to the point of not seeing the flaws of said character. Example: StannisTheMannis13: "Stannis is the greatest guy in the Seven Kingdoms! He burned those people for the greater good! THE GREATER GOOD!!!"

Meta: Meaning "beyond about". Often refers to beyond the Fourth Wall so to speak. Tropes and archetypes are more meta concepts. Example: Florina Stark: "Cersei's Walk of Shame can be viewed as a character development vehicle for her. On a meta level."

:D

When I get to the part where I read "THE GREATER GOOD", I started laughing really hard.

Holy hell, that Sansa discussion yesterday. Where do these people come from? And have they read the books?

You mean that one with that one guy with that one showbased name?

Sansa may not be my favorite but holy shit, some people do get a bit...ehhh about her. I do find Sansa hella interesting because since i cant really relate to her, trying to get in her head is interesting. I am very interested in where her story takes her. (She may not be my fave, but i certainly dont hate her)

Har. Bumps and Patrick, i think everybody has their berserk buttons. And sure theres a lot of stupid that gets thrown around, and sadly...thats the truth for just about every fandom out there. But if theres rational members of the fandom, i think we should make an effort to get along with those even if we dont always agree. I tend to ignore the stupider ones.

My Berserk Buttons/Inner Roose (as bumps put it):

Saying Arya is a psychopath. Also when people think shes "basically a boy" so more female issues do not apply to her.

I share one with bumps, that writing characters off as boring really steams my broccoli. Calling characters a Mary Sue when they are very clearly not really really makes me wanna stomp on some genitalia.

Yea- for me it's Roose because I don't get super mad/ berserking. "Plot gifts" "plot armour" "Stu's" of various sorts and all associated "content" puts me out for blood, but in a pretty cold and measured way. I think I only got truly and thoroughly pissed off twice on the forum for something completely unrelated to this.

It was in the "things that make you want to bang your head against the wall" thread, appropriately. ;)

Ah, that one. I think I already know which poster you mean. Kittykatknits wouldn't even burn him to the ground because he wasn't worth it. I decided to agree with her, though a major discussion popped up in my head, of course. ;)

Yea- for me it's Roose because I don't get super mad/ berserking. "Plot gifts" "plot armour" "Stu's" of various sorts and all associated "content" puts me out for blood, but in a pretty cold and measured way. I think I only got truly and thoroughly pissed off twice on the forum for something completely unrelated to this.

Littlefinger.

I don't personally find "plot armor" to be a big deal, provided that it is used correctly. I.e. to identify that a certain character is likely to survive a given situation due to narrative reasons, but I hate it when it is used derisively, especially since the vast majority of the characters have plot armor during various precarious events.

Ah, that one. I think I already know which poster you mean. Kittykatknits wouldn't even burn him to the ground because he wasn't worth it. I decided to agree with her, though a major discussion popped up in my head, of course. ;)

And some guy said that the books sucked and called GRRM a poor author...

The Stannis Squad helped out there. I understand why you two didn't bother to get involved, though.

There are certain posts and topics that get me in to full nerd rage mode. I've got some stuff that I've written and can direct you to sometime. :)

And the some guy said that the books sucked and called GRRM a poor author...

Just further proof we were dealing with a serious case of stupid. I take much more pleasure at mocking then attempting to argue.

The Stannis Squad helped out there. I understand why you two didn't bother to get involved, though.

Ah, my fellow brothers helped out? Good. Some Stannis the Mannis'ers are veeeery good in burning people to the ground... ;)

And some guy said that the books sucked and called GRRM a poor author...

BLASPHEMY!

Archived