Who is your favorite character because some aspect of their

Where Boars Glow

personality relates directly to you? Someone started a thread earlier about how George RR Martin has preconceived notions about some characters which he then makes more or less sympathetic to the readers. I disagree and think we either like or don't like characters because of what we see in ourselves. So who is your favorite and what does that say about you?

Other than the obvious POV characters, my favorite has to be Tormund Giantsbane.

He was able to put differences aside and was just as influential as Jon in bringing the Wildlings under the Wall.

He stepped up as a leader when there was none.

He has a great personality and works with what he has. For example he becomes one of Jon's only friends towards the end of DWD. He didn't hold a grudge or call Jon a turncloak, but treated him fair and gave sound advice.

Plus he's funny as hell.

The whole Lannister family dynamic reminds me alot of my family. Three siblings, 2 guys and 1 girl. A strict and demanding father with a miliary background and an uncle and aunt who are a bit softer and more approachable. I'm the oldest of the kids and I was kind of the golden child of the family for a while so I suppose I match up with Jaime somewhat. I do not hookup with my sister or throw small children out of windows however.

Other than the obvious POV characters, my favorite has to be Tormund Giantsbane.

He was able to put differences aside and was just as influential as Jon in bringing the Wildlings under the Wall.

He stepped up as a leader when there was none.

He has a great personality and works with what he has. For example he becomes one of Jon's only friends towards the end of DWD. He didn't hold a grudge or call Jon a turncloak, but treated him fair and gave sound advice.

Plus he's funny as hell.

I thought you were going a totally different direction in your connection :)

The whole Lannister family dynamic reminds me alot of my family. Three siblings, 2 guys and 1 girl. A strict and demanding father with a miliary background and an uncle and aunt who are a bit softer and more approachable. I'm the oldest of the kids and I was kind of the golden child of the family for a while so I suppose I match up with Jaime somewhat. I do not hookup with my sister or throw small children out of windows however.

See this is interesting. I never thought about it that much from your own family dynamic influencing which character you relate to the most but that makes perfect sense.

I can relate to Tormund as well, but for other reasons...

Bestiality is wrong.

My mind works in a similar way to LF (in terms of how I work things out) and I can also be quite petty. I'm not as sneaky as him though, promise. People tend to underestimate my intelligence too (aware that sounds arrogant, sorry).

I'm also used to shooting insults back and forth in a way that is somewhat similar to Asha's banter, tinged with a sense of what I'd call sensible loyalty like Tytos Blackwood (will stand up for what I think is right, but won't fight a helpless cause).

Sansa

I am as naive as she is sometimes and I insist on always finding the best in people. I can find a good aspect to anyone...except Cercei,I'm still trying.

Second is Sandor,because I love broken things as well.

I could see that. Like say someone who is a hopeless romantic being more inclined to like the character of Sansa.

Bestiality is wrong.

My mind works in a similar way to LF (in terms of how I work things out) and I can also be quite petty. I'm not as sneaky as him though, promise.

I'm also used to shooting insults back and forth in a way that is somewhat similar to Asha's banter, tinged with a sense of what I'd call sensible loyalty like Tytos Blackwood (will stand up for what I think is right, but won't fight a helpless cause).

But you feel like first and formost you relate to LF...and he is also your favorite character?

I can relate to almost all of the Lannisters.

I'm the bookish type, like Tyrion, and I also have a sort of dark humor and can be witty, like him.

I've also got a part of Cersei's and Tywin's ruthlessness and willingness to do just about anything to achieve my goals. I can also be quite cold at times, and I never forgive, just like Tywin.

Well, Jaime's my favorite character. I suppose I relate to him in that he tries to be a good person (or at least thinks he tries), but he hates his failures. And it makes him bitter how others don't even understand which actions of his are failures and which are moral successes.

Also, he's hilarious. :)

But you feel like first and formost you relate to LF...and he is also your favorite character?

He is my favourite character, but it isn't as simple as "liking" him. IMO, he is one of the most perfectly-written characters in the series. Whenever he's on the page, he steals the scene (personal opinion), he is cloaked in mystery, he possesses a brain like few others and drives the plot quicker than most. I have a soft spot for all of the characters who fit in this category (Varys (less so him), Euron, the QoT, Mance).

However, what draws me to LF is the way in which he is (very often) superb at reading people, inasmuch that I believe he is the best of his kind at doing so. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I've always done well academically in addition to having a pretty good read on people and their characters. In that sense I relate to LF. I'd like to think I'm not as amoral as him though. Perhaps I'd temper my similarity with LF by comparing myself to the Reader. Like LF, he is a good judge of circumstances (think pre-Kingsmoot), but he also shows loyalty to his favourites (up to a point. He's no fool). Perhaps a LF/Reader combo would be a better description.

Yep, that's why I am so p**sed off that Robb got killed. I am Robb (or wish I was). Like him, I'm reasonably good at one thing (his was fighting, not me!), I love my mum even when she p**ses me off, I ignore 3/4 of her advice an then regret it, I have a strong and quite-rigid dad, I have heaps of (well, 3) younger siblings that I had to keep in line when I was younger.

Well, only I'm not a king. Or even a lord. But if I was, I'd be Robb. GRRM, you heartless b*****d, why did you have to kill him???

I feel like a mix of Stannis and Robert. I have a very strong sense of duty, but then there times when I do what I want like Robert.

I would say that puts you at odds with yourself :) Who do you lean towards the devil or the angel on your shoulder? :)

Archived