Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

Lot of fanboy gushing online for this one but the trailer left me a little unimpressed. The narration is pretty terrible, as is Elba's monologue. "We're cancelling the apocalypse" is a stinker of a line. I'm not a big fan of the robot designs either and I'm pretty sick of one CG creature beating on another CG creature. Hoping for the best with the final product.

We gave up Hell Boy 3 for this? WTF?

eta: Sorry for being a boner killer.

No, we gave up At the Mountains of Madness and The Hobbit as directed by someone suited to it for this.

That said, I'm not with you killjoys. I think it looks ace. I like the real sense of heft you get from both the monsters and the mechas...

the trailer seems custom-made for the usual dudebros [complete with that sound-effect. You know the one!], but the levels of geek fodder are high

Chthulu? GLaDOS? Mechas and pilots for them? Something thats pointing to a female center-hero who isn't a wise-ass? Mecha designs not being too-slick Transformers? Ramin Djawadi on music duty? Idris Elba saying that the apocalypose is canceled?

and there aren't explosions like in Bay flick, and delToro's name makes this madness appear like it could work. It could serioulsy work

That's the biggest concentration of Geek-Crack I've seen since Suckerpunch. Giant mecha that look like Warhammer 40K Space Marines? Fucking GlaDOS as the AI assistant? Giant sea monsters from the deep?

Jesus. That could either be incredibly awesome, or flop like Dragon Wars.

EDIT: I'm betting on flop.

Those horn sound effects are being overused. I'm hearing them in every single action movie trailer. I did get a kick out of seeing Jax Teller and Stringer Bell fighting aliens. The narration in the trailer reminded me of Jax's monologues in SoA.

In any case, I trust GdT. He won't let this movie devolve to Michael Bay standards.

*ROTFL* Is giving control of unstoppable giant war robots to GlaDOS really a good idea?

What could go wrong? There's no test chambers so it will be fine!

The horn sounded more Mass Effect Reapers than normal to me, anyone else Gerry a bit of that vibe?

Hearing about this movie it sounded amazing, I have no problems with the story or writing at all. Its the special effects that worry me, they look pretty good, but hopefully they'll look better in more well-lit scenes. This may just wind up as a movie that was made before the technology needed to make it great was available, like if James Cameron had made Avatar right after Titanic instead of waiting a decade.

"OK men, let's get to work. We must build giant robots to fight the giant monsters."

"If we have that level of technology, why dont we just build lasers or better guns? You know, upgrade the weapons we already have and then fight the monsters from a distance?"

"..... You're fired."

Why didn't the Eagles just fly Frodo to Mount Doom?

Stop bringing logic into my giant robots dammit!

"OK men, let's get to work. We must build giant robots to fight the giant monsters."

"If we have that level of technology, why dont we just build lasers or better guns? You know, upgrade the weapons we already have and then fight the monsters from a distance?"

"..... You're fired."

'alternatively why don't we build them 3 times the size of the monsters so we can crush them like bugs'

'why are you still here, we already fired you'

Archived