Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

no huge stars setup,

Well Idris Elba has a bit of a following, and it's the first big film for Charlie Hunnam since he did SoA. The fact they're involved makes me want to see it more than the robots fighting monsters thing.

And now I see Ron Perlman, who was GRRM's perfect Hound actor, and also in SoA, is also in it.

Well Idris Elba has a bit of a following, and it's the first big film for Charlie Hunnam since he did SoA. The fact they're involved makes me want to see it more than the robots fighting monsters thing.

And now I see Ron Perlman, who was GRRM's perfect Hound actor, and also in SoA, is also in it.

They're all noteworthy names, but when I say huge-star setup, I mean the type of person who almost guarantees a 100mil+ box office by virtue of their name. Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Matt Damon sort of level. This film might create that type of star but none of them are there yet.

Am I the only one who thought that the trailer for this looked horrendous? I mean, there is literally no way I would be seeing this movie, and the premise is something that I do think would be entertaining.

At the Hobbit I saw this and the "Beautiful Creatures" trailer, and I don't know which one I think looks worse...and I almost laughed out loud during the Beautiful Creatures trailer from the sheer stupidity of it all...

Oh and he's not THAT popular, but a movie with Charlie Day wins in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

i pretty much had the same reaction as a lot of you: "It's live action Evangelion with GLaDOS?" :shocked:

which was totally lost on my non-geeky friend who sat by me in the theater.

• 3 months later...

New trailer, best one sofar. Now I want to see it.

http://www.flickerin...er-arrives.html

I only realised when I caught this the other day that the main dude off Sons of Anarchy is in it. The voice-over gave him away - he seems to like doing those,

I'm hoping this will be mindless fun in the way of transformers but with a little but of soul and plot for good measure,

Come on, this should surely be much better than Transformers.

You'd definitely hope so but it does appear to be a film who's sole purpose is to have giant robots fighting giant monsters. My expectations are therefore altered but as long as there is a lot of giant robots fighting giant monsters in awesome ways, I'm happy.

I didn't mean to imply it would be Transformers bad but this isn't a film with lofty goals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived