Tywin and Aerys

Gurkhal

I'm wondering if there will be some information about the time when Tywin was Aerys' Hand? It would be very interesting to see how their relations developed and what manner of things that Tywin actually did as Hand of the KIng for twenty years.

Tywin and Aerys were childhood friends, probably when Aerys was fostered at Casterly Rock. Their relations went sour when Aerys's madness worsened.

Αerys was fostered at CR? I had no idea, when was this mentioned?

Αerys was fostered at CR? I had no idea, when was this mentioned?

Illyrio stated that Tywin was a friend of Aerys's youth, and Aerys was present at Tywin's wedding before Aerys was crowned and Tywin made Hand of the King. Tywin was raised at Casterly Rock through his boyhood, and so it would be reasonable to assume that Aerys was fostered at Casterly Rock.

Then how could they have met and become friends if Tywin didn't leave Caster;y Rock and Aerys didn't leave the Red Keep?

Well Tywin was only a teenager when he was made Hand and Aerys was likewise very young when he became king. So that the two of them formed a friendship during the first time don't sound at all unlikely. Also form where have you got the idea that Tywin didn't leave Casterly Rock and Aerys didn't leave the Red Keep? Aerys only isolated himself in the Red Keep after the Defience of Duskendale.

Well Tywin was only a teenager when he was made Hand and Aerys was likewise very young when he became king. So that the two of them formed a friendship during the first time don't sound at all unlikely. Also form where have you got the idea that Tywin didn't leave Casterly Rock and Aerys didn't leave the Red Keep? Aerys only isolated himself in the Red Keep after the Defience of Duskendale.

But Illyrio said that Tywin was a friend of Aerys's youth, likely before he became king and made Tywin Hand. He was present at Tywin's wedding before he was named Hand of the King and Aerys was crowned, meaning they knew each other. Casterly Rock is far away from the Red Keep, and where Aerys was likely to stay as a prince, and Tywin wasn't said to be fostered at the Red Keep?

Since Joanna Lannister was likely fostered at King's Landing, it would stand to reason that Tywin and Aerys got to meet and know each other while he made trips there to see his future wife.

Concerning Tywin's handship,I think that in the latter stages, there was an anti-Tywin faction that probably helped sour the relations between the two. Cersei reminisces that in her first arrival at KL, Lord Rykker made a joke about Tywin saying that if Aerys needed gold, he only had to give Tywin a chamber pot. And there's the Chuckler too, the future Hand, Lord Merryweather.

Aerys became King when he was only 16 or so, wasn't he? At the same time he fathered Rhaegar. Does that mean that Tywin was married to Joanna that young too?

Aerys was 19 when he was crowned. Rhaegar was born at least 3 years before that when Aerys was 16. 16 is considered to be the age of maturity, and that seems to be the appropriate age for marriage.

Then how could they have met and become friends if Tywin didn't leave Casterly Rock and Aerys didn't leave the Red Keep?

Well you cracked it there neither were nailed down to their respective castles. Lord Tywin could have taken his son and heir to KL at anytime and befitting his station it would only make sence for the King to have Prince Aerys befrind the son of his powerful bannerman. Once you make conculsions that they could leave their cities of residence without fostering. You have to make those unsupported theories of Aerys spending a large portion of his life in CR without any hint in the books which is something that would probably come up.

• 2 months later...

Tywin and Aerys relationship started to go sour when Aerys rejected the idea of Rhaegar and Cersei being promised to each other. Tywin got very mad that he wasn't good enough (or his daughter wasn't). I believe there were some other mentions in the book that Tywin was gaining more influence and Aerys didn't like it.

Tywin and Aerys relationship started to go sour when Aerys rejected the idea of Rhaegar and Cersei being promised to each other. Tywin got very mad that he wasn't good enough (or his daughter wasn't). I believe there were some other mentions in the book that Tywin was gaining more influence and Aerys didn't like it.

I think the reason Aerys refused the betrothal of cersei and rhaegar wasn't cersei (despite the fact that Aerys certainly knew what a brat she was).

I think the reason lied more in the fact that Aerys loved joanna and tywin trampled on her wishes

Archived