R+L=J v. 36

Stubby

I thought Barristan believed she committed suicide due to having a stillborn child? So she should have been capable of lactating! But we are getting too scientific here. haha.

My point is that she would have to start nursing within a couple of days, or else the milk production would stop, it works on the basis od demand-supply.

I think Martell's might have been disappointed that Rhaegar had taken another wife, but I don't think it would have caused action by the Martell's. Rhaegar was heir to the throne, their grandchildren were still second and third in line to the throne. Plus Targaryen's were known to take multiple wives, so it shouldn't have come as a huge surprise had they found out.

Doran might have been okay(meaning cautious) about it but there's just no way Oberyn would have been okay with his sister getting disrespected in that matter(as he's made it clear he fiercely loved Elia) unless Elia gave Rhaegar her consent to be with Lyanna. Oberyn shares his hatred of the Lannisters on multiple occasions but never once talks about how Rhaegar dis honored Elia. Which leaves me to believe Elia must have given Rhaegar her consent and let her family know about it in secrete otherwise you can believe Oberyn Martell would have joined Brandon stark in the hunt for Rhaegar's head.

Ashara seems to be a very popular and somewhat misunderstood character. I think an Ashara reread should be considered. It would be a long and tedious project, what with her handful of mentions in the entire text, but I'm hoping someone will take on this very important task.

jokes, jokes. Sorta.

Actually... I was doing this and it's a piece of cake with an e-reader, because you just need to imput the search terms. You can highlight the relevant sections and thus go back to them. Perhaps a group of us should do it and compare notes???

Doran might have been okay(meaning cautious) about it but there's just no way Oberyn would have been okay with his sister getting disrespected in that matter(as he's made it clear he fiercely loved Elia) unless Elia gave Rhaegar her consent to be with Lyanna. Oberyn shares his hatred of the Lannisters on multiple occasions but never once talks about how Rhaegar dis honored Elia. Which leaves me to believe Elia must have given Rhaegar her consent and let her family know about it in secrete otherwise you can believe Oberyn Martell would have joined Brandon stark in the hunt for Rhaegar's head.

I don´t think that Oberyn would have joined Brandon Stark in the hunt for Rhaegar´s head. Maybe he wanted to do so, but Elia and her children were in KL. They were Aery´s hostages and ensured the loyalty of Dorne during Roberts Rebellion. If Oberyn would have done something against Rhaegar it would have meant the death of Elia and her children.

But I agree with other parts of your comment. We know that the Dornish were furios when Rhaegar mad Lyanna QoLaB, but they couldn´t do something against Rhaegar without endangering the lives of Elia and her children.

I also believe that Elia was ok with Lyanna´s and Rhaegar´s realtionship, but I am not sure if she told her family about it. I think she didn´t love Rhaegar, maybe she was fond of him. It is also possible that she had a lover of her own.

I would love to learn more about Elia. I doubt that she was just the weak and helpless women as Tywin viewed her. I think she was intelligent and we know that she had a very sharp wit. It would be really nice if we would learn more about her or see her in a flashback-memory.

thinking of that diseased dude who rules Dorne and the Red Viper is further proof that R+L does not equal J.

GRRM likes making family members real different. As does every other fantasy author, anyways, that's a bit off topic.

So back to Doran and Oberyn. These guys pretty much know everything that is going on in Westeros. The way they react to it is kind of confusing, but it is at least evident that they are aware of all the political goings ons. An example of this is Tywin Lannister planning to kill Doran and Doran somehow already knows about it and has a counter-plot.

This proves at the very least that the Martell's have no concept of R+L=J and I would argue that because of this (plus all the other evidence) that R+L does not = J.

How come the Martell's know almost everything yet are unaware of the possibility of Rhaegar raping and impregnating a 15 year old girl? Surely they would realise that the husband of their sister was lusting after a child, and after kidnapping the child and raping her (apparently for a period of over 9 months) there would be a possibility of a child.

I mean come on. All these dudes do is worry about heirs and what not. All these plots and plans etc.... if Leanna was imprisoned for long enough to bear a child to her rapist, surely someone would consider the possibility of a ploy to protect the resultant baby. They would at least think she might be pregnant.

My conclusion is that Jon is Ned's baby and that Rhaegar in fact never raped a child. Rhaegar probably just kidnapped Leanna so he could marry her later. or to save her from the gruff Robert.

I don´t think that Oberyn would have joined Brandon Stark in the hunt for Rhaegar´s head. Maybe he wanted to do so, but Elia and her children were in KL. They were Aery´s hostages and ensured the loyalty of Dorne during Roberts Rebellion. If Oberyn would have done something against Rhaegar it would have meant the death of Elia and her children.

But I agree with other parts of your comment. We know that the Dornish were furios when Rhaegar mad Lyanna QoLaB, but they couldn´t do something against Rhaegar without endangering the lives of Elia and her children.

I also believe that Elia was ok with Lyanna´s and Rhaegar´s realtionship, but I am not sure if she told her family about it. I think she didn´t love Rhaegar, maybe she was fond of him. It is also possible that she had a lover of her own.

I would love to learn more about Elia. I doubt that she was just the weak and helpless women as Tywin viewed her. I think she was intelligent and we know that she had a very sharp wit. It would be really nice if we would learn more about her or see her in a flashback-memory.

Well I didn't literally mean he would have joined Brandon Stark outside the gates of KL demanding Rhaegar "Come out and die" lol sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I just meant Oberyn would have let his disapproval of Rhaegar and his dis honoring of Elia known the same way he made his hatred of the Lannisters known. Especially when you consider in ASOS the Targs were all dead or exiled and the Lannisters were the ruling family in KL yet Oberyn made it clear to Tyrion that he hated the Lannisters and wanted revenge against them, when Tyrion was a Lannister himself, yet he never mentions anything about Rhaegars actions (embarrassing Elia at The TOH and then leaving Elia for another woman) being the reason this whole thing started to begin with.

thinking of that diseased dude who rules Dorne and the Red Viper is further proof that R+L does not equal J.

GRRM likes making family members real different. As does every other fantasy author, anyways, that's a bit off topic.

So back to Doran and Oberyn. These guys pretty much know everything that is going on in Westeros. The way they react to it is kind of confusing, but it is at least evident that they are aware of all the political goings ons. An example of this is Tywin Lannister planning to kill Doran and Doran somehow already knows about it and has a counter-plot.

This proves at the very least that the Martell's have no concept of R+L=J and I would argue that because of this (plus all the other evidence) that R+L does not = J.

How come the Martell's know almost everything yet are unaware of the possibility of Rhaegar raping and impregnating a 15 year old girl? Surely they would realise that the husband of their sister was lusting after a child, and after kidnapping the child and raping her (apparently for a period of over 9 months) there would be a possibility of a child.

I mean come on. All these dudes do is worry about heirs and what not. All these plots and plans etc.... if Leanna was imprisoned for long enough to bear a child to her rapist, surely someone would consider the possibility of a ploy to protect the resultant baby. They would at least think she might be pregnant.

My conclusion is that Jon is Ned's baby and that Rhaegar in fact never raped a child. Rhaegar probably just kidnapped Leanna so he could marry her later. or to save her from the gruff Robert.

First of all, the vast majority of R+L=J supporters don't think Rhaegar raped Lyanna as that was not in his character. The theory is that they were secretly in love and Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly thus making the sex consensual. Most people don't believe Rhaegar is the monster Robert's Jealous ass tries to make him out to be including Ned Stark.

Second of all, your reasoning that the Martells don't know anything isn't very deep. Just because they haven't said anything in the POV's about Jon yet doesn't mean they don't know anything GRRM could be waiting to reveal that as Dorne will have a much bigger role in Westeros for at least the next book. Lyanna died what the realm says was a "Natural death" The Martells could have figured the baby died during a miscarriage with Lyanna, or that despite the sex Lyanna never became pregnant. Or Maybe Doran only suspected that Ned took the baby but had no real proof to back it up being as Rhaegar, Lyanna, and Elia were all dead, and Doran being the cautious man he is waited to see if Ned would reveal Jon's true identity but since he didn't why would Doran? It would be his word against the best friend of King Robert who do you think Robert would believe. All of Dorne would have hanged for fucking with Robert like that about the Targs back then and Doran is smart enough to realize that, and now Jon is at the wall, Doran's son was pursuing Dany, and Doran sent Arrianne to talk to Aegon to see if he is the real deal so why would Doran risk pursuing Jon at this moment when he's already trying to negotiate with two Targs one that could possibly his Nephew(Aegon). No I think Doran would only pursue Jon if he had no other choice (meaning Jon was the only Targ left) and it would still be tough decision for him then.

Third of all and most importantly, it's Lyanna not Leanna

There was any?

I think you need to check the meaning of the word proof.

Besides, Doran makes clear that he has someone at KL who feeds him information; how does this relate to to an event happening at a totally different location fifteen yeasr ago? And, since we have had neither Oberyn nor Doran PoV and they have been characters of minor importance so far, we have absolutely no idea what they know or not.

I'd say that aftrer Brandon's action, everyone and their mother knew Rhaegar had a thing for LYanna (who, by Westerosi standards, was not a child). Why it never ever occured to anyone that she might have got pregnant is, IMHO, a question related to what Ned officially stated as a cause of death and which hasn't been even hinted so far.

Well I didn't literally mean he would have joined Brandon Stark outside the gates of KL demanding Rhaegar "Come out and die" lol sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I just meant Oberyn would have let his disapproval of Rhaegar and his dis honoring of Elia known the same way he made his hatred of the Lannisters known. Especially when you consider in ASOS the Targs were all dead or exiled and the Lannisters were the ruling family in KL yet Oberyn made it clear to Tyrion that he hated the Lannisters and wanted revenge against them, when Tyrion was a Lannister himself, yet he never mentions anything about Rhaegars actions (embarrassing Elia at The TOH and then leaving Elia for another woman) being the reason this whole thing started to begin with.

Ah ok is misunderstood you.

I just try to imagine Brandon and Oberyn making a demonstration infront of the Red Keeps gates with some huge "come out and die Rhaegar" banners :)

Or Oberyn and Brandon riding together through the 7 Kingdoms looking for Rhaegar :). Some Rhaegar and Brandon scenes would have been so funny

The Martells don´t know everything. The have quite a good intelligence network, but they don´t know much about the stuff going on in the North. Vary´s intelligence network is superior to Doran´s anf even Varys does not know everything (even if some people tend to believe that). Even Bloodraven is not omniscent.

Many of us (the people who believe R+L=J) don´t believe that Rhaegar raped Lyanna.

Look for example at the way Ned thinks of Rhaegar. He has quite a good picture of him and he doubts that Rhaegar would have visited brothels. He has no fury against Rhaegar. Do you think Ned would feel this way if Rhaegar had raped his sister? Besides we only know Rhagar by report, but most people who remember him don´t remember him as someone who would have raped a girl.

Well we don´t know much about the time of Robert´s rebellion, but there was some rumour that Rhaegar abducted and probably raped Lyanna. The Martells knew that rumour,too.

And I don´t get your argumentation that Jon is not the son of R+L because the Martell did not knwo abou it. Nearly nobody in the whole 7 Kingdoms knows that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, but how does that "prove" that he Jon is not Rhaegar´s and Lyanna´s son?

Ned kept the secret very well, because it would otherwise have meant Jon´s and his death.

You believe that Jon is Ned´s child okay so show me all the other evidences against L+R=J you mentioned. Who is Jon´s mother then and why does Ned keep her identity secret? Why are there so many scenes in the books that hint and nearly proof R+L=J?

Also there's the possibility that Rhaegar and Lyanna secretly met and had sex shortly before she left with Rhaegar and the whole reason she might have left with Rhaegar in the first place was because she found out she was a few weeks pregnant, and knew if she stayed in the public view longer people would realize she was pregnant and that she broke her bethrothal with Robert. So she left with Rhaegar in a panic to get away from the public eye not realizing the impact her leaving with Rhaegar would have on the realm. She was 15 or 16 at the time after all, she was just simply young and scared as shit about her pregnancy so she sought refuge with the man she loved(Rhaegar) as a lot of young girls her age would do in that situation and have done in today's society.

Well let's look at it afresh. Without all previous bias and what not.

Ned doesn't look at Rhaegar badly. He looks at him favourably. This isn't because Ned accepted Rhaegar kidnapping and dogging his sister. It is because Ned knew that while Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and lusted after his child sister, he never actually dogged her.

Why think Ned didn't think badly of Rhaegar because "my kid sister wanted it anyways". Maybe Ned thinks nicely of Rhaegar because he knows Rhaegar never dogged her and was just protecting her from Robert sticking it up her pee hole.

Well let's look at it afresh. Without all previous bias and what not.

Ned doesn't look at Rhaegar badly. He looks at him favourably. This isn't because Ned accepted Rhaegar kidnapping and dogging his sister. It is because Ned knew that while Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and lusted after his child sister, he never actually dogged her.

Why think Ned didn't think badly of Rhaegar because "my kid sister wanted it anyways". Maybe Ned thinks nicely of Rhaegar because he knows Rhaegar never dogged her and was just protecting her from Robert sticking it up her pee hole.

And who is Jon´s mother than? Why is her identity such a big secret?

Why was Lyanna at the ToJ? Why was the Kingsguard there? What was the promise Ned gave her? Why does everyone in Westeros believe that Rhaegar abducted her or that she went with him? Where was Lyanna when she was missing? .... I know hundred more questions that could proove that your theory is wrong.

Besides do you have any "proofs" for your theory and any "proofs" against L+R=J?

Why is the burden of proof on me to prove L+R=J?

Last I checked there is no definitive of it in the books. The tv series never says anything to prove it either.

As I said before. If, and I mean **** if **** Lyanna was missing for 9 months or more. I don't even see any real proof for that. I mean, she probably was missing for 9 months or a bit more, but the proof for it is pretty flimsy. Anyways, if Lyanna was missing for 9+ months, surely peeps would think maybe the rapist knocked her up.

I mean really. Explain it me. Why is a fertile female (Lyanna) who has disappeared with a fertile male (Rhaegar) and been gone for 9 months plus never questioned by anyone if there was a pregnancy or not?

If it were possible for Rhaegar to impregnate Lyanna other characters would have mentioned it. Cercei was in love Rhaegar and obsessed with Lyanna. She asked why Robert loved her, not why Rhaegar shagged Lyanna and knocked her up.

Saying Ned didn't hate Rhaegar is not proof of R+L=J.

Last I checked there is no definitive of it in the books. The tv series never says anything to prove it either.

As I said before. If, and I mean **** if **** Lyanna was missing for 9 months or more. I don't even see any real proof for that. I mean, she probably was missing for 9 months or a bit more, but the proof for it is pretty flimsy. Anyways, if Lyanna was missing for 9+ months, surely peeps would think maybe the rapist knocked her up.

I mean really. Explain it me. Why is a fertile female (Lyanna) who has disappeared with a fertile male (Rhaegar) and been gone for 9 months plus never questioned by anyone if there was a pregnancy or not?

If it were possible for Rhaegar to impregnate Lyanna other characters would have mentioned it. Cercei was in love Rhaegar and obsessed with Lyanna. She asked why Robert loved her, not why Rhaegar shagged Lyanna and knocked her up.

GRRM has made apps that give timelines on the events of Westeros past and present find one or looks it up on the timeline on:

http://awoiaf.wester...t.27s_Rebellion

Then look up Robert's Rebellion : http://awoiaf.wester...ert's_Rebellion

The first Paragraph of the second link is :Robert's Rebellion, also known as the War of the Usurper, was a rebellion against House Targaryen, primarily instigated byEddard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Robert Baratheon, for whom it is named. It lasted almost two years and resulted in the end of the Targaryen dynasty in the Seven Kingdoms and the beginning of Robert Baratheon's reign.

It's been stated Robert's rebellion lasted almost two years

Lyanna left with Rhaegar in 282 AL starting Roberts rebellion, the events at the TOJ were the last thing to happen in Roberts rebellion according to the timeline in 283 AL Lyanna was missing from the start of the rebellion (and a little bit before it obviously) until the end of it. With the TOJ being the last event in the rebellion....So you do the math of how long she was at the TOJ genius. Your straight talking out of your ass right now.

I'm sure there could have been a few ppl that suspected Lyanna got pregnant at some point but they wouldn't dare say it to Robert as the man was mad with anger and grief at the time. No one wanted to be the person to tell Robert that there was even the slightest possibility that the woman he was deeply in love with(Lyanna) could have been pregnant by the man he hated the most(Rhaegar) that's just asking to get your tongue removed or worse your head and Robert would have done it in a heartbeat for something like that. Also Ned was the man who relayed the events to Robert so if Ned said there was no child who was gonna question the honorable Ned Stark who also happens to be Robert's best friend and the man Robert trusted and loved the most, even more than his own brothers as Robert admits in GOT. Some might have suspected something but they probably either figured the baby died in miscarriage with Lyanna so there was no point of mentioning it if the babies dead and risk enraging Robert to the point of facing his wrath. Or they simply thought Lyanna never got to the point of pregnancy. Jon has no Targ features just the Stark features of his mother if R+L=J is true which has happened before with Targs only getting their non Targ mother's features and none of their father's Targ features (Princess Rhaenys and Prince Baelor) so for the people in the realm that have seen Jon he doesn't look suspicious at all. What's so hard to understand about that?

You are not asked to prove R+L, you are asked to bring up the "proof" of R+L NOT equaling J which you mentioned.

The fact that Rhaegar and Lyanna spent enough time together doesn't mean she HAD to get pregnant, and people not asking questions can quite well be ascribed to the fact that Ned didn't bring along any child when he returned from the south (his trip to Starfall would allow him to send Jon ahead to WInterfell, so when people heard the first time that Lord Eddard had a bastard, the news would spread from the North, not south, therefore his origin would be obscured).

Ned not hating on Rhaegar is not a proof of Jon's parentage but that Lyanna wasn't taken by force.

Where was Lyanna when she was missing?

That's the major problem I have when trying to figure out how 'the event' happened.

Did Rhaegar go to Winterfell disguised? Could have it happened at the Isle of Faces? (maybe Lyanna was there praying while she was at Harrenhal and Rhaegar met her). Did he take her on Starks' way back home?

GRRM has made apps that give timelines on the events of Westeros past and present find one or looks it up on the timeline on:

http://awoiaf.wester...t.27s_Rebellion

Thanks for this ^ Jon.

The fact that Rhaegar and Lyanna spent enough time together doesn't mean she HAD to get pregnant, and people not asking questions can quite well be ascribed to the fact that Ned didn't bring along any child when he returned from the south (his trip to Starfall would allow him to send Jon ahead to WInterfell, so when people heard the first time that Lord Eddard had a bastard, the news would spread from the North, not south, therefore his origin would be obscured).

Maybe he was waiting to see how things would go with Elia. If she could have more kids after Aegon he wouldn't need to get Lyanna pregnant... it's just a thought tho.

True, though we don't have a Oberyn POV so it is difficult to know who else he harbored animosity towards outside of the Lannisters/Clegane. I am just reminded of Ned, and if we didn't have his POV, would we know his life was clouded with regret over broken promises to his sister? We only get bits and pieces of Oberyn and what drives him.

My thinking is that even if Elia gave her consent to Rhaegar, Oberyn would still take it as a slight because...it is.

Ashara Dayne's role is very mysterious, as is her "suicide". I'm of the belief that she is Septa Lemore. If she had been close to Elia it would make sense that she would want to help raise her child, especially given that her life was in ruin after Robert's Rebellion, her miscarriage, and the ToJ. Perhaps she was involved in Vary's plan to swap Aegon. Being recently pregnant she would have been a capable wetnurse.

Ashara did not miscarry, she supposedly had a stillbirth. That is a full term delivery. And, she had not been recently pregnant, because she certainly delivered before or at the same time as Elia, and Aegon was a year old at war's end.

The first Paragraph of the second link is :Robert's Rebellion, also known as the War of the Usurper, was a rebellion against House Targaryen, primarily instigated byEddard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Robert Baratheon, for whom it is named. It lasted almost two years and resulted in the end of the Targaryen dynasty in the Seven Kingdoms and the beginning of Robert Baratheon's reign.

It's been stated Robert's rebellion lasted almost two years

Lyanna left with Rhaegar in 282 AL starting Roberts rebellion, the events at the TOJ were the last thing to happen in Roberts rebellion according to the timeline in 283 AL Lyanna was missing from the start of the rebellion (and a little bit before it obviously) until the end of it. With the TOJ being the last event in the rebellion....So you do the math of how long she was at the TOJ genius. Your straight talking out of your ass right now.

Just a note, the only way to say Robert's Rebellion lasts almost two years is if you include the taking of Dragonstone by Stannis Baratheon's newly built fleet and the fleeing of Ser Willem Darry with Viserys and Daenerys. This is the last loyalist foothold in Westeros, especially when we know Jon Arryn visits Sunspear and gets the Martells to stop any attempts at further conflict. While it is entirely correct to say the war lasts about two years if you look to when Dragonstone happens - over "nine moons" from when Rhaella and Viserys flee King's Landing just before the sack of that city - it is also correct that the major fighting is over with the taking of King's Landing and the deaths of Aerys, Elia, Aegon, and Rhaenys. Storm's End's besiegers surrender without a fight something like a month to a month and half after the sack when Ned arrives, and the mutineers at Dragonstone surrender to Stannis when his fleet arrive. When Martin talks about the rebellion lasting about a year he is not talking about these last two events.

Also there's the possibility that Rhaegar and Lyanna secretly met and had sex shortly before she left with Rhaegar and the whole reason she might have left with Rhaegar in the first place was because she found out she was a few weeks pregnant, and knew if she stayed in the public view longer people would realize she was pregnant and that she broke her bethrothal with Robert. So she left with Rhaegar in a panic to get away from the public eye not realizing the impact her leaving with Rhaegar would have on the realm. She was 15 or 16 at the time after all, she was just simply young and scared as shit about her pregnancy so she sought refuge with the man she loved(Rhaegar) as a lot of young girls her age would do in that situation and have done in today's society.

Not really, we know when Jon is conceived, or at least approximately. He is born "eight or nine months" before Daenerys who we know was born "nine moons" after the flight from King's Landing. Simple math puts Jon's conception - at the earliest - some nine months before the sack or at least three or four months into the rebellion, not before Lyanna is "abducted" which we know takes places before the rebellion even starts. One of the reasons many people feel so strongly that "R+L=J" is true is that it seems the possible candidates for a father of child of Lyanna's is highly restricted during the time in question. Rhaegar being the obvious number one suspect.

edit: of course, one is free to speculate on another child than Jon being conceived during the time you suggest. It kind of eliminates all the clues for childbirth being the cause of Lyanna's death, however.

Archived