Gun Control 5

Stubby

lol, well relic, if you throw a toaster hard enough at someone's head, they will DIE! ................

Well, i have my apartment set up so that there one long hallway leading to my room. i back lit the hallway and the next time some fucker steps foot in it ill have a perfect silhouette at which to throw my toaster.

Ser Mix,

Iraq, vietnam, afghanistan, pakistan, chile, iran, nicaragua, etc

yep lots to be proud of

showing up for WW2 when Germany was already stopped and well on their way to defeat, well at least we got in.

So, Britian, France, and Russia would have been better off without us?

Unfortunately, I think Raidne's presence in this thread, as reasoned and articulate as she is, unfortunately, comes under the heading of casting pearls before swine.

In 2007, there were 12,632 homicides by firearms in the US. There are at least 260 million firearms in the US. That means 259,987,368 killed no one, yet a good number of the anti-gun mob would have those confiscated. Does that mean they favor incarcerating every member of <racial group> if one of them commits murder. The unfortunate truth of humans is that, those who do not have something, are perfectly willing to have it taken away from those who do.

Unfortunately, I think Raidne's presence in this thread, as reasoned and articulate as she is, unfortunately, comes under the heading of casting pearls before swine.

In 2007, there were 12,632 homicides by firearms in the US. There are at least 260 million firearms in the US. That means 259,987,368 killed no one, yet a good number of the anti-gun mob would have those confiscated. Does that mean they favor incarcerating every member of <racial group> if one of them commits murder. The unfortunate truth of humans is that, those who do not have something, are perfectly willing to have it taken away from those who do.

Registration. Certification. Get some of the basic shit done. Tag guns, connect them to certificates. Why would this be so hard?

Again, I live northern Sweden. Hunting is a thing. (the annual moose-hunt is pretty much a RELIGION) I know tons of people who own guns... But they're registered, kept in approporiate safety lockers, and occasionally inspected.

What would be the problem with something like that? Why can't you treat an ordinary safety issue like an ordinary safety issue?

The unfortunate truth of humans is that, those who do not have something, are perfectly willing to have it taken away from those who do.

Except that the majority of "those without" can go out tomorrow and buy a gun (or start the waiting period). This isn't a case of "I can't have one, so you can't have one either." It's a debate about how to keep our society as safe as possible while still enjoying the maximum freedom. It's about striking a balance. Those who call for no gun regulation are just as guilty of skewing the argument as those calling for a total ban.

Bullshit. The best way is to have metal detectors at the door, drastically limit access to the schools, etc.

It is not to have a bunch of trigger happy moronic teachers running around with guns with a bunch of children present.

In CT you then would have had the shooter shoot open the door, enter the school with at least one weapon in his hand, then....the metal detector would have given you a warning.

I do agree though that we need to ugly-up our schools by getting rid of all of those glass doors and replace them with something much more able to slow a bad guy down.

I'm currently trying to find the statistics, because I have seen them before, but the homicide figure barely touches the surface and the statement "259,987,368 killed no one" is silly. If you want to talk about people killed by guns you can't leave out suicides, which bumps the number up to, IIRC, something like 30,000 deaths per year. And I believe I saw a number of 100,000 people wounded every year.

Here is a one year old article on the fact about 20,000 children a year are shot: http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14741514

I also understand that many gun owners own multiple guns, so it's not 260 million people who own guns. I am trying to find a number for that. I'm sure there's an article somewhere.

Registration. Certification. Get some of the basic shit done. Tag guns, connect them to certificates. Why would this be so hard?

Again, I live northern Sweden. Hunting is a thing. (the annual moose-hunt is pretty much a RELIGION) I know tons of people who own guns... But they're registered, kept in approporiate safety lockers, and occasionally inspected.

What would be the problem with something like that? Why can't you treat an ordinary safety issue like an ordinary safety issue?

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. Check your history books. Almost every country that has wanted to persecute any group, has first had them register.

After reading through Gun Control 3, 4, and now 5, I'm happily prepping my wife's car with crossbow mounts and spinning wheel sword blades.

As has been stated over and over, we Americans are a crazed, violent people. But we are inevitably headed to a ban of our favorite device of destruction. With guns soon to be collected and destroyed, we will be forced to turn to our other loved machine of destruction for an outlet. Bring on Death Race 2020. My wife's uber-tweaked 2009 Mercury will soon be ready.

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. Check your history books. Almost every country that has wanted to persecute any group, has first had them register.

Bro, we register for everything. The Selective service, the right to vote, the right to drive. Why is this any different? I'm a gun owner, a proud gun owner at that, and would have no issue registering. It's elective here in Colorado, and I do it with every one of my fire arms.

I don't understand why on earth we'd want to make our schools more prison like. You can't teach a kid in an environment like that--they already feel imprisoned enough.

The situation that led to this debate is so horrible I can hardly think about it--it is awful. But a knee jerk reaction seems silly. I mean steel doors on schools? No windows? There is no way we can ask kids to come to school and learn in that environment. If the media would quit freaking the kids (and our easily excitable populace) out then we might realize that statistically speaking not only are mass shootings dropping, but when you factor in only schools, the percentage and likelihood of it happening to you is really low.

I am still for gun restriction though, because gun related violence is much higher in general than these mass killings. And all the guns used in these slayings were legally acquired (or stolen from someone who acquired them legally).

The good news is even the politicians who usually stamp and whine about gun control have opened their eyes on this one.

You already register to pay your taxes, to drive, to vote, and a dozen other things.

Here is a page I don't think anyone has ever linked, The Harvard School of Public Health, with all kinds of very interesting articles referenced.

Under Gun Threats and Self-Defense Gun Use:

1-3 Guns are not used millions of times each year in self-defense

We use epidemiological theory to explain why the "false positive" problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid.

. . .

4. Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments and are both socially undesirable and illegal

We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

. . .

5. Firearms are used far more often to intimidate than in self-defense.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

. . .

6. Guns in the home are used more often to intimidate intimates than to thwart crime.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, we investigated how and when guns are used in the home. We found that guns in the home are used more often to frighten intimates than to thwart crime; other weapons are far more commonly used against intruders than are guns.

. . .

7. Adolescents are far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use one in self-defense.

We analyzed data from a telephone survey of 5,800 California adolescents aged 12-17, which asked questions about gun threats against, and self-defense gun use by these young people. We found that these young people were far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use a gun in self-defense, and most of the reported self-defense gun uses were hostile interactions between armed adolescents. Males, smokers, binge drinkers, those who threatened others and whose parents were less likely to know their whereabouts were more likely both to be threatened with a gun and to use a gun in self-defense.

. . .

8. Criminals who are shot are typically the victims of crime

Using data from a survey of detainees in a Washington D.C. jail, we worked with a prison physician to investigate the circumstances of gunshot wounds to these criminals.

We found that one in four of these detainees had been wounded, in events that appear unrelated to their incarceration. Most were shot when they were victims of robberies, assaults and crossfires. Virtually none report being wounded by a "law-abiding citizen."

. . .

9-10. Few criminals are shot by decent law abiding citizens

Using data from surveys of detainees in six jails from around the nation, we worked with a prison physician to determine whether criminals seek hospital medical care when they are shot. Criminals almost always go to the hospital when they are shot. To believe fully the claims of millions of self-defense gun uses each year would mean believing that decent law-abiding citizens shot hundreds of thousands of criminals. But the data from emergency departments belie this claim, unless hundreds of thousands of wounded criminals are afraid to seek medical care. But virtually all criminals who have been shot went to the hospital, and can describe in detail what happened there.

Lots of myths refuted in those articles. And there are many more issues addressed under the other topic headings listed on the left side of the page.

Archived