Gun Control 5

Stubby

I also think people miss out on the idea that "self-defence" is stupid in most cases. Pulling a gun in a situation where you have been punched would count in the US as a defensive use of a firearm, it is actually a dangerously reckless escalation of a situation. Facing down a burglar with a gun is insanity, unless he is entering the room in which you or your family are. People in crime surveys who state they have used a gun against criminals are often reporting arguments that wouldn't have got out of hand if there had been no guns, or situations where they have imbecilically put themselves and their families in harm's way because of their inability to calculate risk.

Yup, it all points to the rather disturbing opinion of a lot of gun owners that if someone breaks into your home they deserve to be shot in the face. I'm personally a bit of a Stannis on this one: don't confuse two crimes. Performing a crime doesn't magically mean you can have crimes committed against you, they have nothing to do with each other.

I can't really picture a burglar robbing a house who thinks "I'll steal some stuff, if someone gets shot then oh well", robbery and murder are quite different things for this guy to be getting mixed up in. If he comes packing, I imagine it's for his own self defence in case the home owner has a gun. So again, needless escalation. I'd go as far as to say that if someone burgled my house with a gun I would still turn down one myself, preferring hiding/pleading than turning the situation into a shoot out. Overall I would rather there was one gun in my house than two, regardless of who has them.

Btw, my only experience with guns in America comes from visiting a 'gun shop' with my hyper-republican second cousin thingy, and it was ITSTL.

That place had some weird looking dudes in it. The fact that these guns seem to instinctively attract weirdos is definitely a black mark, no offence to any of our gun-owning boarders

historical list of countries by firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year -

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

United States — Gun Facts, Figures and the Law -

http://www.gunpolicy...n/united-states

Some interesting stats from the 2nd link comparing the US to the second most populous country in the world,India -

The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United States is 270,000,000

The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in India is 40,000,000

The rate of private gun ownership in the United States is 88.82 firearms per 100 people

The rate of private gun ownership in India is 3.363 firearms per 100 people

In a comparison of the number of privately owned guns in 178 countries, the United States ranked at No. 1

In a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership in 179 countries, India ranked at No. 110

In the United States, annual firearm homicides in 2008: 9,484

In India, annual deaths resulting from firearms total in 2008 - 6,219

Even more interesting for me is a comparison of the number of privately owned firearms (270.000.000) and government guns in the US (less than 4.000.000). I'm stunned.

And for the stats listed above - it's a bit more clear when you use a ratio per 100.000 people as for firearm homicides. In US it was 2,98, and in India 0,3.

The India-USA comparison is striking remembering that there are areas of armed insurrection and resistance against the government in several different parts of India so it might be reasonable to assume a high level of gun violence there.

But I suppose in the USA a firearm is just another consumer durable, except with the advantage for the manufacturers that customers feel free to own more than one which they don't with washing machines.

The India-USA comparison is striking remembering that there are areas of armed insurrection and resistance against the government in several different parts of India so it might be reasonable to assume a high level of gun violence there.

Yes, it is very striking that they had to go as far afield as India to get some vaguely favourable looking statistics. Comparing the US and India is comparing apples and pears.

Even so, they had to cheat. Note that the deaths are given as absolute numbers and the gun ownership as a percentage (the population of India is higher than the US). And also note they are comparing "firearm homicides" with "deaths resulting from firearms".

P.S. And I note they chose 2008. That was the year of the Mumbai massacre in India, in which a gang of terrorists attacked the city and shot hundreds of people.

Yes, it is very striking that they had to go as far afield as India to get some vaguely favourable looking statistics. [...] Even so, they had to cheat.

But who's "they" here? I believe it was AncalagonTheBlack who made the coparison with India. On the linked site you can compare US data with any country in the world.

Look a bit deeper there, at the actual India stats - the homicide rate has been steadily dropping, down to 6k from 12k in the 90's.

A major outburst of fighting between the Sikhs and the State came to an end in the 1990s.

Because having a gun correlates strongly with you or a member of your family being murdered with a gun. If you don't have a gun, you are less likely to be murdered.
From the other thread... Correlation doesn't equal causation. Or at least that is what I learned in school. Gang bangers in the inner city might own guns (illegally I might point out) and also use them to kill each other. That doesn't mean that a law-abiding citizen will be murdered because they like to go hunting.

Archived