Gun Control 5

Stubby

Solo - it has become clear as the case law has developed that intermediate scrutiny will apply.

What are 'reasonable' regulations Scot? I imagine Tormund thinks hardly any regulations are reasonable while other people think extremely strict restrictions on the ownership of guns are reasonable. Personally I expect I'd consider the level of regulation you favour to be extremely unreasonable so simply saying you support 'reasonable' regulation isn't really saying much.

Gee, you'd think the Court might have given some indication of what would or wouldn't be reasonable when they made up that rule, huh?

By the way, in American jurisprudence, it would be impossible for a government restriction to be termed "unreasonable" because the federal government failed to sufficiently infringe on an identified individual right. And apologies for laughing while I write that, but cultural differences are just funny sometimes that way. :)

Sologdin,

I understand that point but people are killed by accidential discharges of political speech. I think it can be distinguished.

paul maudib can kill you with a word, scot!

And Scot can apparently kill with the lack of one! :D

I don't see what can possibly go wrong with this:

In response to last week's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, a Republican legislator in South Dakota on Monday said that she will introduce a bill that would permit school personnel — from teachers to janitors — to bring guns to their workplace.

State Rep. Betty Olson of Prairie City, S.D. told the Associated Press that arming faculty members could have thwarted gunman Adam Lanza and minimized the carnage in Newtown, Conn.

Very powerful and, as the title of the video shows,

It takes months if not years of honing your reaction time, building muscle memory, and being prepared for the type of situations that the pro-gun crowd is claiming they are there to protect us all from.

Oh, yeah, this argument about gunning down other random would-be massacarists* is so unbelievably stupid i'm not even sure how to address it save for hysterical chortling. I am, theoretically, trained for this exactly - I was a security guard with youth groups for a couple of years - and we all knew how absurdly inadequate we were. (and I have spent, unfortunately, way more than mere hundreds of hours at shooting ranges.) Not-so-random gunmen do shoot up public places here every now and then, and some armed passerby does shoot them eventually, but it's never before the death toll has piled up. Thats just not how those situations work, and the fantasy that it will be otherwise is absurd. The best that can possibly be said here is maybe the death tolls will be 20 and not 40 people or something, but that's a bizarre - and immoral - counter to an argument that suggests ways to not have massacres in the first place. In short, it's idiocy.

*I can't let go of the comment someplace far upthread by someone who asserted that of course they need automatic weapons for people trying to steal their dvd players. I've ranted about it to, like, everyone who was in the army that i've encountered over the past 24 hours. (Which is to say, almost everyone i've encountered in the past 24 hours. It's ok, people already thought I was weird.) There is nothing, nothing that a 30 round assault rifle on automatic is good for - you can't aim too good, it doesn't lay down covering fire because you go through that in like 4 seconds - using it is just a mark of incompetence. You can do one, single practical thing with it - carry out a massacre. The desire - burning need, in fact - to have that power in your hands I can only describe as sociopathic.

The gun rights lobby however is very right that registration makes it easier to find out where the guns are and collect them. I do think that if you want an extra privilege.. for instance a concealed carry permit that registering guns makes sense. I did read the Meghan McArdle piece which was really good in pointing out the futility of alot of the bandied about solutions.

What changed?

White people got alot more concerned about the right to own guns right as Obama got elected.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone suggested that gun owners were racists.

Anything further I might say would be regarded by the mods as a vicious personal attack, so I'll leave it at that.

Archived